Shirley- Getting Right On My Tits

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Before I begin, let me say that I like Linda Henry and I think she is a fantastic actress when given the right material, I also used to like Shirley as a character. Now she is really pissing me off.

Why is it that for the last week or so all she has done is lurk around corners waiting to jump out at Lola and spout the same old 'Don't trust Phil' speech?

I get that she is on a mission for revenge because of the whole Heather thing and I understand that but good God there's gotta be a better way than this?

Comments

• mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    Excellent thread. The two bit lush deserves nothing more.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some posters will be very envious of you :p

She's only using you because she's not getting any wick!
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    Young-Free wrote: »
    Before I begin, let me say that I like Linda Henry and I think she is a fantastic actress when given the right material, I also used to like Shirley as a character. Now she is really pissing me off.

Why is it that for the last week or so all she has done is lurk around corners waiting to jump out at Lola and spout the same old 'Don't trust Phil' speech?

I get that she is on a mission for revenge because of the whole Heather thing and I understand that but good God there's gotta be a better way than this?

Yeah its called doing the right thing and going to the police....but wait she does that she loses her hold over him and thus her way of interjecting herself in his life. And she can not lose that as she is obsessed with him.
    So yeah I did like it when Phil shut the door in her face mid rant.
    And Linda Henry deserves better then this crap. But they made the mistake of isolating her to the Mitchells hence they can not develop her away from them.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's irritating me. Linda an excellent actress and can work independently she doesnt need to be tied down by the Mitchells. Her return was a perfect opportunity to move her away from them and concentrate on her friends, family and jobs.

As for her revenge for Hev thats been dead and buried along with Heather. She had her chance but didnt take it, everything she's doing now is not for Heather but to make herself feel better after betraying Heather.
    Also she just rebuilt her relationship with Carly, but rather than carry on being a mother/grandma and spend time with them she returns to Walford to feed her Phil obsession.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Young-Free wrote: »

Although it's poorly written what Shirley is telling Lola is right, Phil isn't interested in helping Lola he just want Lexi for himself. It's about power and control.

Can't stand this story with Lexi/Lola/Phil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Shirley is a victim of the "Groundhog Day" syndrome that seems to permeate characters and storylines, whereby exactly the same thing happens over and over again with little to no development. It happened with Janine/Michael leading up to her exit as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shirley is a victim of the "Groundhog Day" syndrome that seems to permeate characters and storylines, whereby exactly the same thing happens over and over again with little to no development. It happened with Janine/Michael leading up to her exit as well.

I like this explanation for it. It's incredibly appropriate. Bianca is another victim of this. As is the Kat storyline.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually really like Shirley but they have really ran out of ideas for her. Realistically, Shirley would have stayed with Carly, what was the actual point of her coming back to walford?

The Lexi storyline in general has become terrible and over complicated. They made it all about Phil when really, it should be about Lola and Billy and Billy isn't even there!

It has nothing to do with Phil, Shirley or Sharon, yet these are the characters that are the most prominent!
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Derek and Joey storyline another example.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    As a recent returnee to EE, she really ticks me off.

Wash her hair someone please.
  • .Kooky..Kooky. Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Excellent thread. The two bit lush deserves nothing more.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well.....are the boots staying on?
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her return has been a let down some what, I don't really see what they gonna achieve with her whispering in Lola's ear is that there idea of revenge, after everything his done you would be mental, its time to move her on to another storyline not involving Phil if she staying on the square.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Her return was a perfect opportunity to move her away from them and concentrate on her friends, family and jobs.

As AngelicPrincess says though she's been isolated to the Mitchells.

She has no friends or family and her job was running the Mitchell house or helping out at the club. She's come back to nothing and I've no idea what she's doing to support herself.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Love the thread title :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    As AngelicPrincess says though she's been isolated to the Mitchells.

She has no friends or family and her job was running the Mitchell house or helping out at the club. She's come back to nothing and I've no idea what she's doing to support herself.

She isn't eating or sleeping, she just spends her days (and nights) skulking around the square hoping to bump into Lola. No job required for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Where is she staying, the B&B?
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda is a very good actress but her time on EastEnders is probarly coming towards an end now...
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Where is she staying, the B&B?

The gutter I think :confused:;) That's why she's able to just continually walk round the square collaring Lola to whisper her spite regarding Phil.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,177
    Forum Member
    I really agree with all these points. Shirley is damn near stalking a 16 year old girl who is desperate, dripping poison in her ear about Phil's unsuitability as a Guardian but not providing any viable alternatives to follow. It, as well as being desperate on her part, is actually cruel.

As others have said, she had her chance for vengeance and justice by telling the Police about Phil's involvement in the cover up for Heather's murder. She could also mention everything he told her about the car lot fire, Kevin's death involving the cut and shut cars but no she won't as it would take Phil away fom her and she needs that link to give her life meaning.

I hope she doesn't mind me mentioning this, but a member onhere asked me on another forum if Heather would go to the Police to report these crimes given that they might face charges themselves given they've kept quiet for so long. Do you know, I genuinely think Heather would for the whole truth to come out for the Deceased's loved ones and to protect a teenager and baby falling into this awful life that Shirley is projecting with Phil. Heather had her faults but she was basically a kind, moral, good person who thought of others as well as herself. Something that, unfortunately, Shirley is not

I also really like Linda Henry, she's a fantastic actress but as with Kat and Bianca, I fearr the writers have played groundhog day (excellent metaphor) with the least sppealing aspect of their personality that they are now beyond saving as interesting, viable characters. A shame for such previously fantastic women.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,177
    Forum Member
    Just watching the omnibus with Shirley's poor me speech about missing out on her kids being little and not being able to get it back. No, of course you can't, but you could have that time with your grandson if you weren't so ''''inf obsessed with Philph Mitchell.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Shirley left with Carly that should have been her exit SL, and before she left she should have told the police about Phil.
    Then Phil has his trial and goes to prison (panto break)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like having a drunken mate throw up in your car. You try to get the smell out but it lingers. That smell is Shirley.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    She's irritating me. Linda an excellent actress and can work independently she doesnt need to be tied down by the Mitchells. Her return was a perfect opportunity to move her away from them and concentrate on her friends, family and jobs.

As for her revenge for Hev thats been dead and buried along with Heather. She had her chance but didnt take it, everything she's doing now is not for Heather but to make herself feel better after betraying Heather.
    Also she just rebuilt her relationship with Carly, but rather than carry on being a mother/grandma and spend time with them she returns to Walford to feed her Phil obsession.

This, this, this, a thousand times!

I love Linda Henry - she's one of my favorite EE actresses, and Shirley is one of my favorite characters - but she needs to leave if this is the best they could do for her. They really, really missed an opportunity to spice up the show a bit (after getting rid of a few more deadwood characters) by ruling out a return for Carly or any other members of Shirley's family. Instead we get more of the Brannings and the inevitable Kat/Roxy/Alfie triangle. :sleep:
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I'm finding this returned version of Shirley irritating too, but I think she's spot on in her assessment of what Phil's up to.