Is it acceptable to let twelve year olds audition for XFUSA?

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
I've got it on in the background on ITV2 and it aired a piece about auditioning for 2013 and it said you can enter if you're twelve or over.

I know there are some amazing young kids out there but imo don't let them on shows like this until they are at least 16. How would have a 12 year old have coped if they had gotten the Christopher treatment?

Comments

• ms2608ms2608 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - they should be over school leaving age before they are subjected to the highs and lows which the X-Factor can bring.
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why aren't they in school?

and why doesn't the UK XFactor allow it?
  • Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should be allowed, look at Diamond and Carly. They're great, and if they are a great singer, why should they wait until they are 16? I think the UK version should be like this.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member

Because it's wrong. I'm more interested in why the US X Factor does!

And they probably give the school kids tutors and make them do homework though surely that would be unfair because they'd have less time to practice?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We have stricter codes regarding child exploitation. :eek:
    Forum Member
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    I think they should be allowed, look at Diamond and Carly. They're great, and if they are a great singer, why should they wait until they are 16? I think the UK version should be like this.

I don't deny that they can be better than adults but I'm thinking more pressure-wise rather than talent.
  • ms2608ms2608 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They would need a licence from the local authority to enable a child to perform. I know that there is a lot of feeling by the authorities that young children should not be on BGT, which is nowhere near as vindictive as X-Factor can be, so can't see it ever happening in UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    But, then, there was Beatrice, for whom the pressure was too much. On Thanksgiving Day (22 November), of all days, she was in the bottom two, and she was crying during the sing-off. She was voted off the show 3-1, and she left the show crying.
  • .Kooky..Kooky. Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But, then, there was Beatrice, for whom the pressure was too much. On Thanksgiving Day (22 November), of all days, she was in the bottom two, and she was crying during the sing-off. She was voted off the show 3-1, and she left the show crying.

Exactly...and how can anyone forget Rachel Crow's meltdown last series? Or that girl on BGT who had to stop mid performance and her mother had to come on stage, begging for her to have another chance? Not to mention countless others who have dissolved into tears in front of the camera. Yes they're children and will get over it within a week but it's really not entertaining to watch and - really - these children should be in school, or on the stage. Certainly not on the circus that is Simon Cowell's reality shows...wait until they're 16.

Comes down to the parents, ultimately. They know that chances are the kid won't win and will end up leaving in a tantrum bout of pressure, excitement and not understanding why people haven't voted for them. It must be hard enough for an adult to be in the bottom weekly or leave with zero votes - it must hit a child fifty times harder.

With regards to Carly, I think she's probably one of he most talented singers I've seen ever on an X Factor/Idol show. I really think she has 'it' and to contradict my entire argument I'm glad she entered because her audition song alone is one of the best things I've heard all year (and my musical taste is incredibly removed from X Factor style/chart music). But I might not be saying the same thing if she doesn't win next week and the waterworks start....
    Forum Member
    .Kooky. wrote: »
    With regards to Carly, I think she's probably one of he most talented singers I've seen ever on an X Factor/Idol show. I really think she has 'it' and to contradict my entire argument I'm glad she entered because her audition song alone is one of the best things I've heard all year (and my musical taste is incredibly removed from X Factor style/chart music). But I might not be saying the same thing if she doesn't win next week and the waterworks start....

Honestly, this is the first episode I've watched fully on the X Factor USA so my opinion of Carly was based on today, and while I thought she was good, I watched her reaction to simon's criticism of her song and she looked like she was about to burst into tears and trying to hold it together.

BTW does anybody else think:

The show is way less dramatic (in the bad way) than the UK version and the female host contributes nothing?

That in the past American Idol had way better contestants than the UK but these final 4 aren't anything that special?

The dragging the results out over each ad break is crap?

Britney is soulless :eek::( There was just no emotion coming from her. Nothing. When Carly got through she gave a half smile and a brief hug and just stood there, looking into the distance. Then walked rigidly to another spot and again just gazed vacantly. It's sad, I just hope that it's because she's awkward in front of the cameras and not because she's like that all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is way less dramatic (in the bad way) than the UK version and the female host contributes nothing?

I think this is a good thing, it makes it fun and not a chore to watch like the UK version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney is soulless :eek::( There was just no emotion coming from her. Nothing. When Carly got through she gave a half smile and a brief hug and just stood there, looking into the distance. Then walked rigidly to another spot and again just gazed vacantly. It's sad, I just hope that it's because she's awkward in front of the cameras and not because she's like that all the time.

Britney really is the only thing wrong with it, and this is coming from a huge Britney fan. I thought she was better, but it is clear she is still not back to her old self.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, this is the first episode I've watched fully on the X Factor USA so my opinion of Carly was based on today, and while I thought she was good, I watched her reaction to simon's criticism of her song and she looked like she was about to burst into tears and trying to hold it together.

BTW does anybody else think:

That in the past American Idol had way better contestants than the UK but these final 4 aren't anything that special?

The dragging the results out over each ad break is crap?

I think the USXF auditions were fantastic and the talent was way beyond anything I've seen on our show.

The live shows have, imo, been absolutely appalling. The whole thing comes across as tacky, amateur, badly produced, cringeworthy crap. The styling and song choices have been laughable, the hosts so poor it's like they've dragged two random people out of the audience and Britney is so away with the fairies, I'm not sure she even knows what show she's on.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there are some very good kids out there - but also look at the Rachel Crow episode - that was just wrong :eek: And awkward to watch :( Hollie Steel on BGT was ridiculous - stuck up madam throwing a paddy :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    X factor uk tried with 14 year olds once I think and that didnt work out the way they wanted so put it back to 16 the year later.

I wouldnt allow 12 year olds either simply because they are too young and arent properly ready for what the show is about,saying that though thats where the adults should step in.

Just remembering back to US x factor last year,that girl rachel crow when she got put out she basically embarrased herself by bursting out in tears and falling to the ground,its probably a moment she will never want to look back on and also if that had of been someone much older man or woman then Nicole probably would have never got the death threats that she did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their parents would know if they could handle it. Rachel Crow's parents obviously got it wrong, her mum promised her that she would win it (I assume, as she was saying "Mommy, you promised" when she was eliminated).
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some very good kids out there - but also look at the Rachel Crow episode - that was just wrong :eek: And awkward to watch :( Hollie Steel on BGT was ridiculous - stuck up madam throwing a paddy :rolleyes:

I know it's wrong but the Rachel Crow elimination makes me LOL :o
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, I don't think they are great. There are many good singers out there as good as or better than Diamond. She really doesn't stand out for me. Carly has a great voice, but there's something soulless and robotic about her. It was watching her semi-final performances that made me suddenly realise what it was she was lacking. A connection with what she's singing. It's like she goes out there and sings without bothering to actually read the lyrics and 'get' the meaning beforehand.

I wish they'd up the age limit to 16 at least (I'd prefer 18, but they would never do that). If Cowell's that bothered about having kids in his talent shows, why not make a kids' version?
    Forum Member
    She was probably a nice girl for all we know but in that moment she just acted like a really spoiled child.
    Still dont know why Nicole got the threats though because it really wasnt her who decided to send her home it was the people who voted,I guess it was cause she was the last judge to make a decision.

That alone shows why the uk version went back to being 16 and over.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't deny that they can be better than adults but I'm thinking more pressure-wise rather than talent.

Didn't the UK try that with the girl who was "happy slapping"?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong quote to reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    Didn't the UK try that with the girl who was "happy slapping"?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong quote to reply.

Oh yes, Lady Shiverz :p
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    Carly-Rose Sonenclar from X Factor USA is an amazing singer at the age of 13 and seems really mature for her age but I still think she is too young to be on a show like this. I think the age limit should be set at 16.

I agree the live shows of XF USA have been terrible. I dont know what has happened between this year and the first series which i really enjoyed but something has gone terribly wrong. They needed another Chris Rene aka Young Homie but what they have got is kids coached within an inch of thier lives and some boring old country singer. The only one i thought had any personality - Cece Frey they managed to knock that out of her with a total image change and constant critiscism.

Britney Spears is another problem with the show, its like she's a robot following a script. She is soo medicated that she cant express any emotion either good or bad. The only decent judge LA Read is leaving the show before it gets axed.
  • Kasper69Kasper69 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thing about Carly shes been in the theatres for years singing so none of this is new to her. How about Beatrice and the girl last year? Beatrice was simply devastated :(
    Forum Member
    Ultimately its down to the parents and the sad thing alot of the time they want it more than the child.You ask a child what they want to be at 12 then ask them a few years later and alot of the time they change their minds.
    Childhood is the most important part of life because it makes you who you are but if you put all kinds of pressure on a child and they become famous at a young age they lose their childhood because they cant do "normal" stuff which is sad.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 12 year old simply does not have the emotional understanding to think through the consequences of going on a show like this. Anybody who thinks they do is absolutely mental. And there are too many parents out there willing to exploit their child in a way that's deemed acceptable by the XF producers but which, when you look at it in a long-term way, is actually pretty questionable.

IMO, 18 years old and above is about right for these kinds of shows, but 16 should be the non-negotiable minimum. No ifs, no buts. You can't drink in America until you're 21, but you can go on a show which will potentially mess you up emotionally for the foreseeable future? That's some messed up logic right there.