The Walking Dead - is it worth continuing with it

simonnsimonn Posts: 536
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just got to the end of season 2, and to be honest, the program isn't wowing me yet. A friend has said that it gets a whole lot better, but I wouldn't say that I wholly trust his opinion where telly and film is concerned. So anyone who's seen the third series, is it miles apart/better, or just more of the same?

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Yes, it is worth it, series two was a little slow with a great ending, and it just gets better after that, the first half of the series 3 has been a rollercoaster and I cant wait for it to start in 2 weeks time again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt the same about series 2 but series 3 has been good so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved S2 and I have no really been wowed with S3.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    simonn wrote: »
    I've just got to the end of season 2, and to be honest, the program isn't wowing me yet. A friend has said that it gets a whole lot better, but I wouldn't say that I wholly trust his opinion where telly and film is concerned. So anyone who's seen the third series, is it miles apart/better, or just more of the same?

I could tell you season 3 is amazing, but that doesn't mean you would agree with me, so why ask? I can understand people seeking others' opinions on a show when they haven't seen it and wonder if they should bother checking it out, but you have now seen 19 episodes of The Walking Dead (assuming you haven't skipped any). If you are tempted to quit now, go ahead and quit.
  • simonnsimonn Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I could tell you season 3 is amazing, but that doesn't mean you would agree with me, so why ask? I can understand people seeking others' opinions on a show when they haven't seen it and wonder if they should bother checking it out, but you have now seen 19 episodes of The Walking Dead (assuming you haven't skipped any). If you are tempted to quit now, go ahead and quit.

Not going to rely on one persons opinion obviously - but if I had a consensus swinging one way or the other, it might help me decide. Plus, my friend said it gets sooo much better, TV event of the year etc etc. He is somewhat known for hyperbole though...
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 3 is much better than season 2. You'll notice the difference pretty early on.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love season 3, season 2 was too slow paced. The writers have obviously taken note.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 1 : Brilliant.
    Season 2 : Pants.
    Season 3 : Back to brilliance.

So yes. Carry on. :)
  • theshadowtheshadow Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've loved it from the beginning and even season two was great for me....but.....season three jumps to another level completely. Stick with it. Its in a class of its own as regards movie quality tv.
  • jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S2 wasn't great, but I suppose if you weren't hooked from the start, it may not be for you. I thought S3 was great though, even though it moved into Lost territory...
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to stick with it. A lot of people like to make out the whole of season 2 was terrible which it wasn't. The first half of it however, was slow.
    Season 3 is so far brilliant.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up halfway through season 3. It got to the stage when I had three or four episodes stacked up in my planner waiting go be watched. For me, when that happens it means it's time to pass. Saying that, I didn't hate it, I just didn't feel compelled to keep watching. It's one of those shows I'll probably re-visit during a cult dry spell sometime in the future. I guess what I'm saying is, timing is everything. No matter how great a show is, if you don't "feel it" then it might be best to walk away and try again sometime in the future, rather than forcing yourself to keep watching it and potentially put you off for good.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you made it through season two then season three is a gift. Season two was pretty dire.

I'm more shocked that anyone who watched season two is actually contemplating still watching. Season 2 was turgid.

Thankfully, season three is pretty good so far, though they still haven't explained the pseudo-alien stuff yet.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season two was poor - very poor in parts - but they seemed to have listened to most of the criticism and the third season is absolutely brilliant so far. If you've got through the second season, you should have no trouble with season three.
  • theshadowtheshadow Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you made it through season two then season three is a gift. Season two was pretty dire.

I'm more shocked that anyone who watched season two is actually contemplating still watching. Season 2 was turgid.

Thankfully, season three is pretty good so far, though they still haven't explained the pseudo-alien stuff yet.

What pseudo-alien stuff???
    Have I totally missed something?
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 2 was really bedding down the main characters. Season 3 is all action again.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying S3 better than S2 at this point. Halfway though season 2, I too was tempted to quit, but now I'm glad I stuck with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    YES Watch season 3 and you'll understand why season 2 was slow BUT necessary! Season 3 is MEGA compared to season 3, but it was NECESSARY for the purposes of developing characters and story, something most shows don't have the corage to do cos of fear of boring audiences! If you've come as far as the end of season 2, watch the first episode of season 3. if you don't like that then it isn't a show for you which is fair enough.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    Season 3 is must see TV. This show is the only thing we talk about in the office on a Monday morning. The mid-season break has felt like forever so can't wait for it to come back.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Season 2 was really bedding down the main characters. Season 3 is all action again.

I agree.
    All this talk of season 2 being rubbish is nonsense.
    Because people didn't get the weekly bloodbath they think it was rubbish.
    We had character development story development every season cannot be all action we. Need light and shade to hold the seasons together and give the show depth.

Walking dead is class, enjoy ever episode on its own merit and season without comparison to the previous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Season 2 was dreadful, basically turned into a soap opera (think Eastenders with more zombies - hmm might have hit on something there! :D) I pretty much spaced out and ended up doing other things while each episode was on and came to the realisation I was simply playing them through to get them off my TIVOs hard drive.

Season 3 is much better, David Morrissey is realy good and there's plots you can actually take an interest in. It's still a bit of a guilty pleasure but better than a lot out there and unrecognisable from the turgid dross we had to endure for season 2.

Well that's my opinion anyway.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoilers, but this is why Season 3 has been so good thus far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr4n8UyBHiA
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like it by now then I can't see s3 changing your opinion. It's not the vastly different experience some people would have you believe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never understood the hatred for S2, I loved it.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S3 is much better than S2.

I quite liked S2. I didn't mind the characters talking so much as them acting stupid. There is some of that in S3, but in my view it's vastly more defensible. Lori contriving a car crash despite being the only driver in the world - there's been nothing that dumb in s3. Losing Dale and Shane helped; there's less of the same-old same-old.

S3 is not perfect, and still deviates from the comic without really improving on it. But now would be the worst time to give up.