New stars arising from the Games

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    oops wrong thread
  • Hairy_CaramelHairy_Caramel Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Depends doesn't it. If say the Australians are known to be strong globally in an event and you beat them all in the CWG then you can safely say you're one of the best in the world. There might be a time barrier for world class in an event and if you go under it then again you're one of the best.

Not necessarily as the strongest Aussies may not even be competing. No US swimmers, or Dutch either.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily as the strongest Aussies may not even be competing. No US swimmers, or Dutch either.
    The top Aussies usually are though because it's been said that CWG performances count towards their state funding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Caleb Ndiku, the next great Kenyan 1500/5000m runner. Not your typical humble Kenyan distance runner and seems to have a personality in the Bolt mode. A lot of people missed him because they were watching the cycling but this guy might well have beaten a fully fit Mo Farah.

Was just about to say him, loved him today :cool:
    Forum Member
    The top Aussies usually are though because it's been said that CWG performances count towards their state funding.

Where are the top Aussies then? Bearing in mind the men Aussies had a poor Olympics. Where are the few that medalled?

The top names in the mens swimming here are Cochrane and le Clos.

Make no mistake a lot of these swimmers medalling here are no way near the top drawer.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Where are the top Aussies then? Bearing in mind the men Aussies had a poor Olympics. Where are the few that medalled?

Make no mistake a lot of these swimmers medalling here are no way near the top drawer.
    The aussies are topping the medal table. Like us (GB) they have a good medal haul in cycling.
    The majority of their medals so far though are in swimming.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The aussies are topping the medal table. Like us (GB) they have a good medal haul in cycling.
    The majority of their medals so far though are in swimming.

I'm not sure you're following the conversation that is happening here.
    Forum Member
    Little Erraid Davies could end up being the Scottish darling (or one of them) of the games.
    Forum Member

I took this from the Swimming Australia site. I'm no expert on Aussie swimming so apart from the injured who isn't here? It certainly doesn't seem like a weak team.
    World champions Cate Campbell, Christian Sprenger and James Magnussen will join golden girl Alicia Coutts, rising star Cameron McEvoy and a host of emerging talent including David and Emma McKeon on the plane to Glasgow as part of a 59-strong swim team for the Games.
    http://www.swimming.org.au/article.php?group_id=28481
    Forum Member
    The Americans are the big achievers in swimming at present, they're the ones to beat. They're not here though. :D
    Forum Member
    Little Erraid Davies could end up being the Scottish darling (or one of them) of the games.
    Judging by the media and Twitter reaction there's no 'could' about it!! :D
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca Adlingtons hot :blush:
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Rebecca Adlingtons hot :blush:

She has a good figure.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Siobhan Marie O'Connor is certainly a star in the making. A low 2:08 is a massive swim in the 200IM. She's only 18 and she has the potential to expand her medal prospects into other events. With an acknowledging nod to Peaty, Guy, and other rising talents she is, for me, right now the biggest prospect for Rio in the pool.

I can tell from your comments that you don't follow swimming too closely. The strongest Australian swimmers are definitely competing. Name one of their current best crop of swimmers that isn't in Glasgow. The Commonwealth Games are the biggest swim event of the year for the Australians. Their nationals earlier this year were the selection meet to qualify.

All of the medallists from London, save for a couple of retired relay only swimmers, are competing in Glasgow. Also, all of the Australian swimmers that medalled at the Barcelona world Championships this year are also swimming in Glasgow save for Ashley Delaney. He was the backstroke leg for the silver medal winning relay and that's only because he was well beaten at Aussie Nationals. So in other words nobody is missing. Of course there are many strong swimming nations that don't compete at Commonwealths. Not just the US but Japan, France, China, Netherlands, etc. However Australia has almost always been a powerhouse in swimming. They've been the number 2 swimming nation for most of the last two decades. So any time you beat them in the pool you've vanquished a quality opponent. Moreover, we can compare times internationally. The swims by Peaty, Murdoch, O'Connor, Halsall, and others are not just world class but world beaters.
    Forum Member
    Australia are poor now in the pool compared to years gone by, beating an Aussie at the Commonwealth Games is not a big achievement when the stronger, better nations and swimmers are at home. Let's not pretend otherwise, eh?
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Australia are poor now in the pool compared to years gone by, beating an Aussie at the Commonwealth Games is not a big achievement when the stronger, better nations and swimmers are at home. Let's not pretend otherwise, eh?

They don't have the overall quality that they did a few years ago. But even then they are still number 2 in the world in terms of depth. Right now they have the best 100m freestyle swimmer in the world (World Champion Cate Campbell) and their female sprinters just broke the relay World Record on the first night. You're trying to downplay the Australians to throw a wet blanket on the performances of British swimmers that are winning races. Let's put this into perspective: No American swimmer has posted a time faster than O'Connor in the 200IM, Halsall in the 50 free, or Peaty in the 100 Breast since the return to textile suits in 2010. These are not necessarily the Americans best events but then again these are the top times in the world so far this year.
    Forum Member
    Little Matthew Dixon, the diver, has brought himself to public attention. Shame the diving wasn't on BBC1 as more people would've seen him.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for Matthew. He was fantastic in the 10m final tonight. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of him especially in Rio and also the next CG in Australia

My own pick would have to be Claudia Fragapane who is now our top performing gymnast for 80 years
  • End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew Hudson-Smith in the 400m track race.

What a star! He didn't seem to know what to do with himself after anchoring the 4x400m team to gold, bless him.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That guy who won that shooting gold in London is still getting plenty of TV work so yes possible for others to get a bit of mainstream fame.

Pistol Pete? Wonder why he wasn't at Glasgow?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jodie Williams is going to be a huge star and the future face of English and British athletics. I can see her beating Kathy Cook's 30 year old 200m record within the next 2 years.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1 for Matthew. He was fantastic in the 10m final tonight. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of him especially in Rio and also the next CG in Australia

My own pick would have to be Claudia Fragapane who is now our top performing gymnast for 80 years

As well as Claudia I'd mention Nile Wilson - who competed here in his first senior competition like he'd been in the team for years.
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Americans are the big achievers in swimming at present, they're the ones to beat. They're not here though. :D

At present and always have been. Don't forget though that China are a fast emerging swimming power.

My vote goes to Claudia Fraggapane too. She probably will peak at Rio at 18. Fantastic talent.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Jodie Williams is going to be a huge star and the future face of English and British athletics. I can see her beating Kathy Cook's 30 year old 200m record within the next 2 years.

I'm with End-En-All I think Matt Hudson-Smith is a real break out star here and he clearly has no idea how good he is.

I guess Jodie has come to the attention of a more mainstream audience here but as with Adam Gemili it does feel like there has been a lot of talk about her over recent years. In contrast Matt hasn't really been heralded at all. He won bronze in 200m at the Euro Juniors last year so this is his first year doing 400s - I do remember him doing a handy relay leg at the Euro Juniors though.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Boxer Charlie Flynn has quite the personality.

Not sure if he'll slip into the background with amature boxing not being seen often, plus he's still part-time as well.

Gymnastics and Diving have world champs and such that are covered on tv so every now and then those names are back in the limelight