Options

sky deleting recordings?

zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,851
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This past week i have noticed that about 6 programmes i had on series record mysteriously disappeared and didnt record.

as this happened to others?

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    The usual reason for scheduled recordings disappearing from the planner is that the programmes were withdrawn from the EPG for some reason and were never actually transmitted.
    Do you know for sure that your vanished scheduled recordings were actually transmitted?
    :)
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they were as i had to re-record them at different times and the magazines had them on at normal times
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just recently happened to a friend of mine, all his recorded football matches have been deleted.
    I believe they were recorded from different channels, sports and ordinary channels. I was going to phone Sky and ask them.
    What's EPG?
  • Options
    whitestripe7whitestripe7 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    This happened to me for the first time recently when The Missing (S1, E2) disappeared from my planner and then the same for Rosemary's Baby which starts on Monday.

Seems OK now, though.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The information for the recordings is taken from the EPG.

I believe, if the EPG is missing data (like a block from 6pm-8pm), then this data cannot show up in the planner, although i can't remember if it just disappeared, or showed as just a time and channel, long time since it happened (and may have changed since then).
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    This just recently happened to a friend of mine, all his recorded football matches have been deleted.
    I believe they were recorded from different channels, sports and ordinary channels. I was going to phone Sky and ask them.
    What's EPG?

I suggest he has a word with his partner.;-)

Electronic Program Guide.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    is there a time span,because some recordings of various recordings over a year have gone from my planner.

Eh??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only downloaded programmes that have an expiry date should automatically disappear from your planner.
    Recordings made directly from transmissions should be permanent, with the exception of some Box Office material.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Only downloaded programmes that have an expiry date should automatically disappear from your planner.
    Recordings made directly from transmissions should be permanent, with the exception of some Box Office material.

unless the box is auto-deleting content to make space for other recordings.
    which it will do unless you tell it not to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    unless the box is auto-deleting content to make space for other recordings.
    which it will do unless you tell it not to.
    D'oh, yes of course that as well!
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go into the deleted section of the planner then left once from all to enter deleted section. Then delete from there to create space to further avoid the scrubbing of old recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    Go into the deleted section of the planner then left once from all to enter deleted section. Then delete from there to create space to further avoid the scrubbing of old recordings.

there is no need to do that.
    the items in the "deleted" section do not count towards used disk space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is no need to do that.
    the items in the "deleted" section do not count towards used disk space.

They do you know as it needs space on the disc to store deleted, you have to completely delete all together free up space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do you know as it needs space on the disc to store deleted unless you completely delete all together.

they are not counted as used space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they are not counted as used space.

Then how come some deleted items were being wiped as my planner was filling up with unwatched recordings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because the box is doing what it is supposed to do and clearing them out as and when it needs to.

putting items into the deleted section tells the box that it can remove these as and when it needs to. those items will be removed first and then once that section is empty the box will then start to remove other items that have been watched that are in the planner to make space to items that are still to be recorded.

once you move an item to the deleted section it tells that box that the space that item used is available to be used when it is required.
    the items is still physically on the disk, it's the marker that is removed. this is standard technology that has been in place for decades on any HDD based storage.
  • Options
    davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My box does that, usually after my granddaughter has visited!
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    They do you know as it needs space on the disc to store deleted, you have to completely delete all together free up space.
    I'm afraid your wrong and Chenks is absolutely right.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because the box is doing what it is supposed to do and clearing them out as and when it needs to.

putting items into the deleted section tells the box that it can remove these as and when it needs to. those items will be removed first and then once that section is empty the box will then start to remove other items that have been watched that are in the planner to make space to items that are still to be recorded.

once you move an item to the deleted section it tells that box that the space that item used is available to be used when it is required.
    the items is still physically on the disk, it's the marker that is removed. this is standard technology that has been in place for decades on any HDD based storage.

And that's what I tried to point out, so therefor the space is still used until required for new recordings unless I do manual clear out of the deleted section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that's what I tried to point out, so therefor the space is still used until required for new recordings unless I do manual clear out of the deleted section.

no, you are still failing to grasp the basic principle that any content in the deleted section is NOT classed as used space.

the space used by deleted content is free to be used as and when the box decided it needs to do it - it DOES NOT need any manual intervention.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, the space is still used (otherwise how can you get the recording back), in fact, anyone who lets their box just get on with it is actually 100% (or close to it) full.

The free space, the bit that people look at, DOES NOT include the recordings in the deleted tab, in fact, it is generally the opposite, if you have 40% free, you probably have 60% deleted recordings.

The box will then use the space used by the deleted recordings first, removing them from the list in turn as it uses the space, and no intervention is required by the user, this space will be used first.

This is the same as Chenks has already told you, as have others, so unsure why you are still saying it does not work like that, when you are obviously wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The box will then use the space used by the deleted recordings first, removing them from the list in turn as it uses the space, and no intervention is required by the user, this space will be used first.

That's what I said, if you let your planner fill 100% then look at the deleted section, I am sure it will be empty as the planner has filled to maximum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I said, if you let your planner fill 100% then look at the deleted section, I am sure it will be empty as the planner has filled to maximum.

no that's NOT what you said.
    you said you had to go in and manually delete stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the space used by deleted content is free to be used as and when the box decided it needs to do it - it DOES NOT need any manual intervention.

I know, but what I do in the deleted section is delete the rubbish programmes and retain the ones I may wish to restore. You see, I never let my planner fill up anyway and like to keep it clutter free with around 75% free space with my manual deletions. Thus allowing me to utilise the deleted section with my favourite hidden list.

Suites me:kitty:

P.S. my box is 2T and have my Disk Space Management set to manual