Options

New Virgin TLC channel

owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Virgin have had this channel a few weeks now and I have to say that it is absolute dross. More cheap tat TV, surely we have enough of this type of channel.

I would rather have 10/15 quality channels than over 100 channels of tat and constant on loop repeats

Comments

• Options
    davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Agree we have too many channels of junk - i guess its to make up the numbers etc... and is on the M+ tear so its not gonna be great! for sure
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Tier.

Heil Grammar!
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the program with the coupons was hilarious ring up a supermarket bill of over $600 and only pay 1p and they carry their coupons around the supermarket in 2 massive big folders. I doubt the supermarkets here in the UK would allow such a thing as it's usually limited to so many per transaction.
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »

I would rather have 10/15 quality channels than over 100 channels of tat and constant on loop repeats

Who would be qualified to select the 10-15 quality channels ?
    I agree that there is a lot of channels I consider "tat", but then others will like them, and I am all for choice,
  • Options
    The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    most of the channels i had were a waste of time.
    to many showing utter Rubbish n Repeats
    i just drop it all an went back to basic tv size m from tv xl
    think in a long run its best thing to do
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    davetech wrote: »
    Agree we have too many channels of junk - i guess its to make up the numbers etc... and is on the M+ tear so its not gonna be great! for sure

Yes mostly rubbish but the Breaking Amish program on Sunday nights is quite interesting.
  • Options
    Shaun_MurrayShaun_Murray Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    rossmor32 wrote: »
    Yes mostly rubbish but the Breaking Amish program on Sunday nights is quite interesting.
    Not to mention completely Fake!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221522/Breaking-Amish-More-doubts-TLC-character-admits-divorced.html
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Virgin have had this channel a few weeks now and I have to say that it is absolute dross. More cheap tat TV, surely we have enough of this type of channel.
    Virgin don't make any programmes or run the channels.
    It's hardly a surprise that cheap telly makes up a large volume of the content - it's like that in the rest of the media too...
    The repeats just make up for the fact that TV doesn't shut down overnight like it used to - there isn't enough content to fill 24 hours with first run quality programmes. Even if there was, you would never be able to see everything.
    By repeating the same content it ensures that more people see it when channel hopping.
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Virgin don't make any programmes or run the channels.
    It's hardly a surprise that cheap telly makes up a large volume of the content - it's like that in the rest of the media too...
    The repeats just make up for the fact that TV doesn't shut down overnight like it used to - there isn't enough content to fill 24 hours with first run quality programmes. Even if there was, you would never be able to see everything.
    By repeating the same content it ensures that more people see it when channel hopping.
    Spot on, Cy! The point that was missed in the post you responded to was the fact that even channels such as Sky 1 show programmes that I'm sure most of us are not interested in watching, but occasionally it will have something good on, like 'Fringe'.

My recordings are made up of programmes over a whole range of channels, but I wouldn't relish the idea of sitting for a whole evening watching any one of those channels live!

And people still don't get it, do they? The only way to please as many people as possible is to have as many channels as possible. You'd soon know it if VM decided to stop showing a raft of these so called 'dross' channels!
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tlc are showimg some good shows
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that, but my wife likes them so glad we've got it....;)
  • Options
    Shaun_MurrayShaun_Murray Posts: 318
    Forum Member

:eek: Get in that naughty corner...
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    I thought the program with the coupons was hilarious ring up a supermarket bill of over $600 and only pay 1p and they carry their coupons around the supermarket in 2 massive big folders. I doubt the supermarkets here in the UK would allow such a thing as it's usually limited to so many per transaction.
    It's in the Daily Wail so I don't know how accurate it is ;) but....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319150/Jordan-Cox-voucher-vulture-savvy-shopping-meant-mum-got-106-supermarket-goods-just-1-62.html
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    ...My recordings are made up of programmes over a whole range of channels, but I wouldn't relish the idea of sitting for a whole evening watching any one of those channels live!...
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that, but my wife likes them so glad we've got it....;)
    Snap on both counts :D
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member

The coupons in the US are very different with less restrictions not to mention the doubling of vouchers value when there is a battle between supermarkets in one town, that's the main reason they can get lots for nothing, you don't tend to get vouchers for that much in the UK (ie half the value). It would impossible to do what they do here.
    I didn't know Extreme Couponing was on TLC, I'll have to take a look as from the very quick look I also saw it as being full of rubbish.