Virgin Media acquires Smallworld

2»

Comments

• ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    I was only suggesting this because if they are not going to be using the VM long-term then what is the point of branding the Smallworld ops to VM only to brand it to UPC or Ziggo a few years after that?

The Virgin brand may be a strong name, but they don't own it, so it is really worth spending money to use a name when you could introduce your own name over time...

They won't be changing the name though, they will just integrate. Similar to O2 Broadband Customers now being Sky customers. They didn't rebrand O2, they just merged them into Sky.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Virgin brand may be a strong name, but they don't own it, so it is really worth spending money to use a name when you could introduce your own name over time...

When Virgin Radio was sold a couple of years ago the new owners decided not to continue licencing the Virgin name due to the cost and restrictions involved (for example, the station logo couldn't feature on compilation albums they released).

But Liberty Global still have a few years to make a decision before the 2017 break clause comes along.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Virgin Radio was sold a couple of years ago the new owners decided not to continue licencing the Virgin name due to the cost and restrictions involved (for example, the station logo couldn't feature on compilation albums they released).

But Liberty Global still have a few years to make a decision before the 2017 break clause comes along.

Well they better make up their mind, I still don't get why they have chosen Ziggo over UPC in the Neatherlands...
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they better make up their mind, I still don't get why they have chosen Ziggo over UPC in the Neatherlands...
    They've got three years to make a decision and may have done so already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    They've got three years to make a decision and may have done so already.

Well based on their actions in the Neatherlands, it might be Ziggo...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well based on their actions in the Neatherlands, it might be Ziggo...
    I wouldn't rule it out in the long term but VM is a strong brand in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't rule it out in the long term but VM is a strong brand in the UK.

Agreed ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he has but I've not heard read anything. Smallworld also owns this software company, I don't know if David's retaining ownership of it as I can't see it fitting into Liberty Global.http://www.motivetechnology.com/Our-Work

Hi

Motive (www.motive.co.uk) is not part of the deal nor is hosting (www.lowcosthosting.co.uk), and that's what I'm busy with at the moment, along with a number of the Smallworld team who have moved across.

Thanks

Dave Durnford

ex-Owner Smallworld Fibre
    Forum Member
    David Durnford? Good question. He'll obviously be a few quid better off! I suspect he may set up another business but he may not even know himself what he'll do yet. In situations like these, the owner normally sticks around long enough to help with the integration and answer any questions that only he knows the answer to before finally severing ties.

Hi

Busy with motive.co.uk, which was not part of the deal. And working on buying some more businesses etc. But will continue to watch the forums.

Missus is getting a new red car, so she's happy. And no more being woken up at 3am due to a broadband outage somewhere:)

Thanks

Dave

ex-Owner, Smallworld Fibre
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for popping onto the forums Dave, all the best in your ventures and enjoy being driven in that new red car. :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks for popping onto the forums Dave, all the best in your ventures and enjoy being driven in that new red car. :)

Thanks. Sadly its not a sports car - far too sensible!

Dave
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Sadly its not a sports car - far too sensible!

Dave

Was the offer from VM too good to say to or....?