Eastenders draws harsh criticism

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
Forum Member
✭✭
From today’s Metro: The Downs storyline is ‘riddled with inaccuracies’ says the Royal College of Nursing. Its has been criticized for being factually incorrect as well as presenting midwifery in a poor light. The RCMs Sue Jacob said the BBC had a responsibility to get its fact right.

I agree with this- they also always present abortion totally incorrectly- a character decides to get an abortion, looks a number up in the yellow pages and goes along the same day and has it done. This is also not the case and usually means 3 or 4 drawn out visit to clinics over several weeks/a month- to present it as something so easily accessible and simple is also very irresponsible of the BBC.

Comments

• Still DirrtyStill Dirrty Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From today’s Metro: The Downs storyline is ‘riddled with inaccuracies’ says the Royal College of Nursing. Its has been criticized for being factually incorrect as well as presenting midwifery in a poor light. The RCMs Sue Jacob said the BBC had a responsibility to get its fact right.

I agree with this- they also always present abortion totally incorrectly- a character decides to get an abortion, looks a number up in the yellow pages and goes along the same day and has it done. This is also not the case and usually means 3 or 4 drawn out visit to clinics over several weeks/a month- to present it as something so easily accessible and simple is also very irresponsible of the BBC.

I just read this

Downs Syndrome Association

They are very pleased with it so both articles contradict each other but as the latter comes from the official web site of the Downs Association it would appear the artcles in the press are blown up by the media.
  • CloudaneCloudane Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also surprised me that they're protraying Honey as basically rejecting the child. Didn't she even refer to her as a "mong"? I know they need to "air the issue" of what a mother can go through when finding out her child isn't completely healthy... but I think that's pushing it a bit far, especially when she was always one of the 'good' characters.
  • CaramelsCaramels Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to The Royal College of Nursing for speaking up about this. Soaps seem to think they can churn out any old inaccurate rubbish and just give a helpline number at the end of the programme, so any viewers with a direct interest can find out the true facts.

There are always glaring legal and medical errors in soaps and it is something that has annoyed me for years; if they can't get their facts straight they shouldn't bother with the story; altering the facts for artistic licence is unacceptable and boring.
  • Still DirrtyStill Dirrty Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloudane wrote:
    It also surprised me that they're protraying Honey as basically rejecting the child. Didn't she even refer to her as a "mong"? I know they need to "air the issue" of what a mother can go through when finding out her child isn't completely healthy... but I think that's pushing it a bit far, especially when she was always one of the 'good' characters.

Yet again if you read the real reactions of people who have been in Honey's boat in this thread it appears to be a normal reaction.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=460504
  • DivineDivine Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the NHS covering itself again. The things they get away with and the things they do on the sly I surprised they have the cheek.
  • tuvnistuvnis Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for them. EE is so cliche driven. The other night with Billy on the subway and the 9/11 thing was so bad it was cringe worthy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Regarding the abortion:

if you want a private abortion you can do it a lot easier than NHS. Hence looking up in the yellow pages.

My friend works at an abortion clinic and researchers from EE got in contact with them to find out more. She thought it was ok but they didn't show the crowded waiting rooms and they would have been more hostile to Bradley.
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand this at all as they have only mentioned that the baby has Down Syndrome.
    I haven't heard any so called 'facts' so far. :confused:
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloudane wrote:
    especially when she was always one of the 'good' characters.

I think that may be the point of using a 'good' character.

G
  • Leanne WatersLeanne Waters Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I just read this

Downs Syndrome Association

They are very pleased with it so both articles contradict each other but as the latter comes from the official web site of the Downs Association it would appear the artcles in the press are blown up by the media.

Thank you for that link.

My cousin had a Down Syndrome baby boy and her reaction was the exact same as Honey's has been. EastEnders have got the facts of this storyline spot on infact the one thing they have missed out or maybe that will come is the doctors asking them if they would like her adopted out.

I give EastEnders 10/10 for this storyline and my cousin has written a letter to them to say how good and accurate it has been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand this at all as they have only mentioned that the baby has Down Syndrome.
    I haven't heard any so called 'facts' so far. :confused:

It is not Honey's reaction they are complaining about, but the way the midwives, and hospital procedures have been portrayed.
    Forum Member
    Caramels wrote:
    It is not Honey's reaction they are complaining about, but the way the midwives, and hospital procedures have been portrayed.

And in the case of the Downs Syndrome storyline has been very accurate and true to life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the abortion. It does take several weeks/month togo through the appointments to actually get to the operation. It isnt a case of turning up (the next day quite often on tv! what a joke) and saying 'i'm pregnant can i have an abortion?'. People may think you get it done there and then!
  • Cicero,Cicero, Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I can't comment on the down syndrome issue but as a mother I can comment on the birth scenes and it was realistic to me as I asked for an epidural and was kept waiting for ages until the point came of which it was too late.

Why on earth they have come out to launch criticism at EastEnders over this is laughable as you would think they are trying to make out all hospitals are perfect and never do anything wrong, which of course we all know is not true ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsHurley wrote:
    Regarding the abortion:

if you want a private abortion you can do it a lot easier than NHS. Hence looking up in the yellow pages.

My friend works at an abortion clinic and researchers from EE got in contact with them to find out more. She thought it was ok but they didn't show the crowded waiting rooms and they would have been more hostile to Bradley.

Er- no! I have had an abortion and went private- there are only 2 central organisations in the UK you go through- and are then given a clinic of theirs to visit which is nearest to you. It is not a matter of calling up and getting one performed at a clinic that suits you- on the same day at all. I had to visit 6 different clinics all across the UK to have mine done- and really know a lot more about the process then you clearly do, I’m sorry I have to say. Eastenders portrayed as easing as flipping through the yellow pages to order a takeaway - it really is not. They got a lot more than simply not portraying the overcrowded waiting rooms wrong- believe me.
    I think this can be a worrying thing considering many teenage girls watch it and may be influenced by how it is portrayed on EE.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what the RCN don't like is the way the midwife was portrayed as not totally sympathetic and understanding and the fact that people call her 'nurse' when she is a midwife. The Downs Association on the other hand seem to feel it has been well researched, well portrayed and something that needed to be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laura_lou wrote:
    I agree about the abortion. It does take several weeks/month togo through the appointments to actually get to the operation. It isnt a case of turning up (the next day quite often on tv! what a joke) and saying 'i'm pregnant can i have an abortion?'. People may think you get it done there and then!

Totally....
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel the Billy/Honey storyline is kind of being done for show, but that may be because Billy and Hone are not believable to me.

In the case of the abortion they could hardly show several visits over weeks as it would bore viewers, and they wanted to focus on Bradley and Stacey's relationship. Realism is restricted by the demands of narrative.
    As for the Docs giving Bradley a hard time, that's what Sean will do when he finds out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relugus wrote:
    I do feel the Billy/Honey storyline is kind of being done for show, but that may be because Billy and Hone are not believable to me.

In the case of the abortion they could hardly show several visits over weeks as it would bore viewers, and they wanted to focus on Bradley and Stacey's relationship. Realism is restricted by the demands of narrative.
    As for the Docs giving Bradley a hard time, that's what Sean will do when he finds out.

That is a load of utter balls and very condescending and insensitive.
    Maybe YOU might find the storyline boring. But for over 30% of the female population who have been through abortion- did you actually consider maybe we would like this issue portrayed with some integrity in even a slightly realistic way?! And not everything on soaps has to be instant and develop in one episode- some of the best ever soap storylines have developed over several weeks actually.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And in the case of the Downs Syndrome storyline has been very accurate and true to life.

Only in as much as every case is different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't feel Honey being informed of the disability without Billy being present was true to life. We know hospitals are not perfect, but it would be good to see the high standards that the majority of staff work to portrayed; of course there is always the exception, in that I know consultants can be brusque.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that both the abortion & Down's storylines have been well written.
    The part which was realistic to myself was the fact that the midwife smirked when Honey asked for pain relief. When I had my son & other times which I have experienced severe pain,the nursing staff totally had no comprehension of a fundamental element of basic nursing care,the question of pain relief. They have pain relief teams in hospitals but many staff in my experience couldn't care less & will do anything to save money by not asking a patient if they are in pain.
    I had the response,well tell the nurse you are in pain.& ask for pain relief.If staff cannot use common sense when a patient says ow I cannot move due to the pain,initative should be used to sort out pain relief.Unfortunately in this day & age of compensation culture that a patient can sue if they feel that the nursing staff gives them too much pain relief as it was pointed out to me,I find this argument pathetic.
    When I was eventually given an epidural it was too late & the injection was cited in the incorrect place,when my legs went numb as a consequence,I couldn't push as I had severe back ache,I was told by an SHO,I don't see why I should give her a forceps delivery if she can't be bothered to push[this was after 18 hours in labour.]As far as I'm concerned you are at the mercy of these medical staff who are meant to help but at the end of it all you have no say & they just couldn't care as they know that they can get away with it.
    I have a real phobia where pain is concerned due to some incompetant staff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said, I think the story is done badly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mutleygold wrote:
    I think that both the abortion & Down's storylines have been well written.
    The part which was realistic to myself was the fact that the midwife smirked when Honey asked for pain relief. When I had my son & other times which I have experienced severe pain,the nursing staff totally had no comprehension of a fundamental element of basic nursing care,the question of pain relief. They have pain relief teams in hospitals but many staff in my experience couldn't care less & will do anything to save money by not asking a patient if they are in pain.
    I had the response,well tell the nurse you are in pain.& ask for pain relief.If staff cannot use common sense when a patient says ow I cannot move due to the pain,initative should be used to sort out pain relief.Unfortunately in this day & age of compensation culture that a patient can sue if they feel that the nursing staff gives them too much pain relief as it was pointed out to me,I find this argument pathetic.
    When I was eventually given an epidural it was too late & the injection was cited in the incorrect place,when my legs went numb as a consequence,I couldn't push as I had severe back ache,I was told by an SHO,I don't see why I should give her a forceps delivery if she can't be bothered to push[this was after 18 hours in labour.]As far as I'm concerned you are at the mercy of these medical staff who are meant to help but at the end of it all you have no say & they just couldn't care as they know that they can get away with it.
    I have a real phobia where pain is concerned due to some incompetant staff

I think that is very harsh. An epidural is not always an option. And as for citing it incorrectly, this does happen, it is not down to incompetence at all.
    Medical staff do care. That is why they are in the job that they do.
    I think its very harsh to say that nurses and medical staff do not care that patients are in pain and that they don't want to give you any to save money - and frankly rather rude.
    Forum Member
    Caramels wrote:
    I don't feel Honey being informed of the disability without Billy being present was true to life. We know hospitals are not perfect, but it would be good to see the high standards that the majority of staff work to portrayed; of course there is always the exception, in that I know consultants can be brusque.

Well my cousin Michelle was informed without her husband present. They asked if she wanted to wait and she said no.

SULLA wrote:
    Only in as much as every case is different.

Well that maybe but the fact the thread in which Still Dirty included the link to in post 5 is also filled with people who were also in the same boat as Honey and Billy only backs up the fact it has been handled well.
    Well said, I think the story is done badly.

Yet you have no history of Downs Syndrome and were offensive in the post in question.

Anyway I just re-read the whole article in which these midwives are not happy about and they are upset about the birth scenes and not the actual storyline of Downs Syndrome.