Ipad 4

Comments

• VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the ipad 3 not sell as well as the ipad 2? Most people I know who have ipads have the ipad 2. Of course that's no indication of anything! :D
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the start of this month rumors were all over the place about a new iPad with lightning dock connector and A6 SoC, I'm unsure why everyone is so surprised lol.

I remember reading on MacRumors about an iPad showing up on Analytics with an A6 processor or custom version of it, and low and behold it is released.

I would have thought people should learn never to buy an Apple product just before an announcement, it's been this way for years.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Did the ipad 3 not sell as well as the ipad 2? Most people I know who have ipads have the ipad 2. Of course that's no indication of anything! :D

Could be.

The ipad 3 wasn't too radical compared to the 2, however the ipad4 gen is even more a piss take.

iPad 3 owners got the 3 over the 2 thinking they were getting a new product for 12months or so, new screen and the best hardware setup so far....

just 6 months down the line and a "new" one comes up completely scrapping the 3. Which pisses people off...

After already being pissed of with a crappy iOS 6 update shambles.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's purely to deflect interest away from the Windows 8 launch on Friday, nothing more.

There's absolutely nothing in the 4th gen iPad that couldn't wait another six months. Apple are simply using it to make sure Microsoft doesn't have a free run with their billion dollar marketing blitz. Putting in a brand new custom CPU is a good way of making sure the iPad remains at the top of the pile in comparison reviews.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my iPad 2 & would not even think of changing it, unless it was broken. I would have been mad if I had bought 3 though, after this new release, so soon.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Join the club, this wouldn't have happened with Steve Jobs in charge
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Join the club, this wouldn't have happened with Steve Jobs in charge

People say that far too much...

Jobs was in charge when Apple updated other products more than once in a year.

The MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and iMac all had years in which they had more than one update.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Not defending it (as an iPad 3 owner it pisses me off!), but it's not without precedent for Apple to anger people in this way, even when Jobs ran things.
  • man_bear_pigman_bear_pig Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    took my recently bought, unopened ipad3 back to currys today and was told to keep it until release day and they'll replace with ipad 4 .
  • muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    If Apple are able to update the processor and make it LTE compatible in more countries why wait a year to do so? Makes sense to give it a performance bump now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cirrus won't get any iPad 4 on release day, you should have at least demanded a credit note
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »

They must have had iPad4 ready for production when they released iPad3.
    Forum Member
    Cirrus won't get any iPad 4 on release day, you should have at least demanded a credit note
    Theres no rush as its an xmas gift , as long as it gets swapped when they get them in
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/apple-retail-offering-free-upgrade-from-ipad-3-4-purchased-within-30-days-1344554

Apple are now offering a free trade-in on your "old" new iPad [iPad 3] if you have bought one within the last 30 days and still have proof of purchase.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no rush as its an xmas gift , as long as it gets swapped when they get them in

By then they will say youve had it too long sir
  • EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    By the time it's released it will have been 7 months since the last ipad... I dont think thats unreasonable amount of time to go between updates.. I mean look at the nexus 7, that's only been out a few months and is already getting a significant update and I don't see people crying about that.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eosterwine wrote: »
    By the time it's released it will have been 7 months since the last ipad... I dont think thats unreasonable amount of time to go between updates.. I mean look at the nexus 7, that's only been out a few months and is already getting a significant update and I don't see people crying about that.
    The Nexus 7 isn't getting "a significant update", it's just getting a bigger storage version.

There are rumours of a 10" Nexus tablet, but then if true, it will be aimed at a different market.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares! It is not significantly different to the 3. Think of it as the 3S or NewS. Doesn't even bother me that I got mine only 3 months ago. I am really going to notice a significant difference when checking Facebook, watching videos or using Facetime?

Same with the Mac Mini - not a huge update and my one that I got 2 months ago is still the mutt's nuts.

It is only the crazy fans that feel the need to upgrade immediately and feel so aggrieved when a new one comes out. Would you rather they didn't bother and just sat on their arses?
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    The Nexus 7 isn't getting "a significant update", it's just getting a bigger storage version.

There are rumours of a 10" Nexus tablet, but then if true, it will be aimed at a different market.

Well they appear to be doubling the storage capacity for the same price. There may be LTE versions too. But its Android so everyone here is Ok with it. :rolleyes:

That's a big update.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eosterwine wrote: »
    I mean look at the nexus 7, that's only been out a few months and is already getting a significant update and I don't see people crying about that.
    But its Android so everyone here is Ok with it. :rolleyes:

There's a fair bit of whining about the Nexus update on the related threads here too. Don't get it myself.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Well they appear to be doubling the storage capacity for the same price. There may be LTE versions too. But its Android so everyone here is Ok with it. :rolleyes:

That's a big update.

erm. no.

With the iPad 3 they have basically removed it from their site completely and released a 4th generation version with:

- double the speed (*cough* allegedly)
    - improved LTE
    - New connector (possibly a downside for many)
    - improved front camera (0.3mp to 1.2 mp)

in previous instances this would certainly have been classed as a major new release from Apple (equivalent of 4 to 4S upgrade ?).

Its a bit more than Google/ASUS just dropping the 8gb version of the Nexus 7 and releasing some additional variants IMHO.

obviously if the Nexus 7 announcements make changes to the 16gb version (which is rumoured to become their 'base' model) then maybe the changes could be considered more comparable. otherwise its simply extra models with the 8gb one dropping off the bottom. We shall wait and see.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    double the speed (*cough* allegedly).

Not really allegedly, there are plenty of benchmarks of the A6 processor against the A5 and it seems to be twice as fast as claimed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/10

Whether you like Apple or not, you have to admit the Apple A6 is a very impressive SoC, it outperforms quad core chips running at a higher clock speed even though its only dual core.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Not really allegedly, there are plenty of benchmarks of the A6 processor against the A5 and it seems to be twice as fast as claimed.

Whether you like Apple or not, you have to admit the Apple A6 is a very impressive SoC, it outperforms quad core chips running at a higher clock speed even though its only dual core.

This twice as fast thing has been disproven with REAL WORLD tests. Forget the benchmarks, all that is, is a snapshot of what the hardware is capable of. Then there are limiting factors in real world use. No better proof of performance than putting the devices side by side and running general use tests.

And it has been done, I posted a link to the video in one of the iphone 5 threads. They had an iphone 5 and a 4s. There were little to no differences between the two with most things. The only advantage the 5 seemed to have was in gaming, load times were quicker, but thats thanks to the gpu being multi core so it gets an edge.

Gaming aside, everything else was identical, infact the 4s shaded the 5 on certain things. This twice as fast stuff is marketing, plain and simple.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »

my 'allegedly' wasnt a dig at Apple. we all know that when stats like that are quoted they are normally not real world stats (and i mean by any tech manufacturer).

I doubt the ipad4 is twice as quick as the ipad3 at anything much. quicker, maybe, but we all know that memory read/write times etc will slow down most tasks regardless of how quick the chip "could" go ....
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    my 'allegedly' wasnt a dig at Apple. we all know that when stats like that are quoted they are normally not real world stats (and i mean by any tech manufacturer).

I doubt the ipad4 is twice as quick as the ipad3 at anything much. quicker, maybe, but we all know that memory read/write times etc will slow down most tasks regardless of how quick the chip "could" go ....

you have NO idea what you are talking about.

anyway its A6X not A6
    Forum Member
    By then they will say youve had it too long sir

no they wont , they'v wrote its to be exchanged on my reciept and signed it :D