Options

Sky go on Amazon Fire

An announcement was made yesterday that sky go would be available from yesterday on Anazon Fire I have Amazon Fire Stick but can't find it. Does anybody know if it is available on the fire stick

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fazzyman wrote: »
    An announcement was made yesterday that sky go would be available from yesterday on Anazon Fire I have Amazon Fire Stick but can't find it. Does anybody know if it is available on the fire stick

It's for Amazon Fire Tablets.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we'll see both nowtv and skygo on firetv boxes and sticks once all are updated to Android 5.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I think we'll see both nowtv and skygo on firetv boxes and sticks once all are updated to Android 5.

I would agree with you here.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    ovbg wrote: »
    I would agree with you here.

I don't think it'll happen TBH. Sky don't want people to be able to access it through an HDMI slot for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    I don't think it'll happen TBH. Sky don't want people to be able to access it through an HDMI slot for obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons ? A NOW TV box does exactly that :confused: As do pretty well all the other devices that have NOW TV. Roku, games consoles etc.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Supported-devices
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »

True. Sky have been holding back on Now TV platform expansion since they began pushing their own Now TV Box. But that is not to say they are not on other connected TV platforms (via HDMI). They can be found on Chromecast, Apple TV, PlayStation and Xbox amongst others, and the Apple TV 4 was a recent addition.

Originally, Sky was trying to push everyone to buy one of their discounted Now TV boxes if they didn't already have an STB, but now it looks like their policy may be about to change.

I think these companies are realising the big fight is for HDMI 1 right now. That is, people have a tendency to rarely move beyond HDMI slot 1. If that is an Fire TV, it doesn't matter if the Now TV box is in HDMI 2, few people bother to switch over. They lose these potential customers.

Sky Go is also on the move due to the recent changes Sky has made to their STB. Cable companies in the US are losing out big time to the "cord cutting" phenomenon. This is much smaller in the UK because pay-TV doesn't have such a stranglehold here, but people are still leaving Sky for on-demand services which are cheaper.

Sky may be starting to realise that if they don't work with on-demand, it will be the end of them.