Avengers Issue #1

fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
Forum Member
I went to a comic convention in Sheffield today and a dealer had a near mint copy of this in a glass case. He said it was amongst a batch of rare comics he had bought from someone and the collection that it was in had cost him £25K.

He had it sandwiched in perspex and under a glass case and he said he was going to get it slabbed and was hoping for a rating of 9.6. He took it from the case so I could have a closer look and it did appear to be in very good condition to me. The cover looked really vibrant and still had a sheen to it.

I asked him how much he reckoned it was worth and he said he had turned down £100K for it and was hoping for £300K!. He said because of the fact that it was priced at 7d old money ( from memory) rather than US currency made it rarer aswell.

The press were there taking photographs of it.

Comments

• HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    A slabbed 9.6 sold for $274,850 in 2012 (one of only three know to exist in such a high grade), but a comic professionally graded, rather than a "raw" copy, will always sell at a far higher price. A 9.6 is quite rare for a comic that age, though. It would probably have to have been bought off the newsstand, then carefully stored away almost immediately with very little handling.
    The dealer is talking crap about the British price. Yes, it is rarer, but it's regarded as less desirable somehow - even though the UK price copies are from the exact same print run as the cents copies.
    I imagine the Sheffield local press would turn out for a cat stuck up a tree, let alone a comic valued in the high thousands!