The Master (Nov 2012)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This film looks superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1O1vb9AUU&feature=youtu.be

Paul Thomas Anderson never fails to impress, especially alongside Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Can't wait to see it!

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,322
    Forum Member
    Cheers

I know the anticipation surrounding this is colossal, but, dear Lord, I stopped breathing once or twice during that.

Can't come soon enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a fair amount of anticipation surrounding this title amongst cinephiles, which is understandable considering PT Anderson's track record.

The fact is, it's not one of his best.

everyone will go on about the performances, and there's no denying that both Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix pull out all the acting stops with sublime performances.

And yet the film overall is quite a dull affair. The film relies heavily on the relationship between Hoffman and Phoenix, but sadly at the expense of any kind of story. It oh so plods along, serving as nothing but a face off between the two male leads, with the twinkling of Oscar gold in their eyes.

Considering all the hype regarding whether or not this was based on Scientology is completely pointless, as the whole issue of cults is hardly ever addressed, which is a real missed opportunity.

Overall, great acting, shame about the film.

Review here.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure about the genius of Paul Thomas Anderson. I liked Boogie Nights and sort of liked There Will Be Blood but was not too sure about Magnolia or Punch Drunk Love
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a fair amount of anticipation surrounding this title amongst cinephiles, which is understandable considering PT Anderson's track record.

The fact is, it's not one of his best.

everyone will go on about the performances, and there's no denying that both Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix pull out all the acting stops with sublime performances.

And yet the film overall is quite a dull affair. The film relies heavily on the relationship between Hoffman and Phoenix, but sadly at the expense of any kind of story. It oh so plods along, serving as nothing but a face off between the two male leads, with the twinkling of Oscar gold in their eyes.

Considering all the hype regarding whether or not this was based on Scientology is completely pointless, as the whole issue of cults is hardly ever addressed, which is a real missed opportunity.

Overall, great acting, shame about the film.

Review here.

Joaquin Phoenix said the Oscars were "total, utter bullshit" last month, which is a some what odd thing for someone with the "twinkling of Oscar gold in their eyes" to do.

From http://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/joaquin-phoenix
    "I think it's bullshit. I think it's total, utter bullshit, and I don't want to be a part of it. I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot. It's totally subjective. Pitting people against each other … It's the stupidest thing in the whole world. It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when Walk the Line was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again. I don't know how to explain it — and it's not like I'm in this place where I think I'm just above it — but I just don't ever want to get comfortable with that part of things."

He has no chance of winning best actor.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,322
    Forum Member
    Phoenix made those comments just as it was becoming apparent the film wasn't really clicking in the way they may have hoped. Hmm..

Critics have been a bit tardy as well. No 'master' piece etc. Still a must see though.

Hopefully it's as good as Johnny Greenwood's soundtrack, which is sublime indeed. All old songs and eerie discordance. Lovely stuff.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,039
    Forum Member
    Saw it last night and was a bit let down by it. Some great actors, wonderful score and cinematography - but the script just wasn't what it should have been and its a very hard movie to fully engage with. A movie you can admire technically, but its very hard to love.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    To those who have seen it, may I ask has it got interesting story and interesting characters.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,039
    Forum Member
    Wetherby wrote: »
    To those who have seen it, may I ask has it got interesting story and interesting characters.

I would say the characters are interesting but not realised as well as they could be, and the story isn't nearly as interesting as it has the potential to be
  • jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this last night and seriously disappointed... Joaquin Phoenix very good, but otherwise there is very little plot and I agree, some interesting characters that are not developed nearly enough.

Should have seen Argo instead...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this yesterday. It's a visually stunning film with superb acting (Joaquin Phoenix giving one of the best performances I've seen in recent years).

If you're expecting some sort of expose of Scientology, you'll be sorely disappointed because it's really not about that. The relationship between Freddie Quell (Phoenix) and Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is central and there is one stand-out scene for me which was spellbinding...
    The initial interrogation scene

Special mention to Amy Adams - fantastic as always.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it at the weekend - complete and utter dross. Far too pleased with itself. Yes, the attention to period detail is fantastic, Phoenix and Hoffman are completely credible in their acting and clearly going for the little gold statue, the camerawork is amazing but the plot and script are painfully slow and I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters.

Self-indulgent twaddle.

Longest two and a bit hours I've had to endure in a long time.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Whoops. Sorry for posting in the other thread on this.

A lot of the reviews of the film have said that it suffers from a lack of plot. All characterisation and no plot.

I am sort of intrigued by it being in 70 mm.

From the looks of the views here it seems not to be worth seeing then.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I went to see this today. I was sort of intrigued by it being in 70 mm, more than anything else. I went to the Odeon West End to view it. It was strange hearing a mechanical projector churning in the background - especially as now a lot of cinemas are digital only. The projectionists nearly forgot the sound at the beginning of the film - you could hear them quarrelling in the background for a while. Eventually it did get put on.

As for the film - well - hmmmmm. I don't see why it needed 70 mm, it doesn't feel very 'cinematic' to me. Apart from the fact that there are not that many landscape type scenes, this film is a character study. That is where it falls down on so many levels. Over long, and it doesn't seem to know what message it might be trying to convey. The subject matter(religion, in this case Scientology and a person dealing with PTSD)could be interesting, but the storyline doesn't help it.

Good performances from Hoffman and Phoenix, but that can't help the film out that much.

I liked 'Magnolia' and 'Boogie Nights' from PTA. 'There Will Be Blood' was okay, although I did think that Daniel Day Lewis just did a John Huston impression for most of the film. That film was alright, but perhaps not deserving of all the critical praise it received.

I appreciate that PTA tried to do something different here - I just don't think it worked out that well.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night and found it ever so dull which is a shame as i like Phillip Seymour Hoffmann and Joaquin Phoenix.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it incredible dull and it pained me to watch a talented actress like Amy Adams waste her acting talents in this. Although it did her some good because it gave her a 4th oscar nomination.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it a couple of months ago and have to say I don't really remember much about it. The acting was good but nothing else has left an impression on me. Probably the weakest PTA film for me.