Feel a bit sad! A small fox dead in my garden..waiting for Envriomental services

max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,581
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Probably a random thread guys!

But I feel a bit sad tbh! In the corner of my front garden I noticed a very small animal curled up (as if sleeping) and went out to see it was a dead fox. He looked as if he were sleeping but was clearly dead. I don't even think he had been hit by a car (we live on a main road), there was no sign of injury or blood but I rang the environmental services right away for removal as this is a school route and I don't want kids (or anyone) walking past and seeing it.

They told me they can't come and remove it unless it placed on the path or in the road. So I said well it's still visible to the public in my garden, they still refused. So I said Okay I'll place the fox on the path- this was the only way they could get a removal person to come. I am currently waiting for them to arrive, an hour later. I understand they are busy perhaps

It's sad though because now, the poor dead fox is on display to all and sundry and people's reactions to seeing it are so varied (I am clock watching at the window!).

I hope the council or whoever it is hurry up!

Meh :(

Comments

• Susie_SmithSusie_Smith Posts: 7,532
    Forum Member
    Why don't you give it a nice burial?

It's only going to be thrown in the bin by environmental services.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    awww sounds like it drifted away if it were curled up.
  • max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you give it a nice burial?

It's only going to be thrown in the bin by environmental services.

It's only since I reported it (more on impulse as procedure) that I feel I should've done that. Or may still do. It's still here, no council people yet.

Had two people knock on the door asking about it too. I'll give it til 2 30 and if they haven't arrived, I'll bury it. The school kids are out at 3pm so I'll deffo get sorting it before then.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a natural death so don't feel bad.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    So our taxes are being spent on people turning up to remove a DEAD animal that could otherwise be bagged and binned / buried / left in woodland. Jesus!
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Maybe it was bouncing too high on the trampoline, fell off and broke its neck...
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    So our taxes are being spent on people turning up to remove a DEAD animal that could otherwise be bagged and binned / buried / left in woodland. Jesus!

Indeed. Harsh opinion for the OP, but was also my first thought. What a waste of time and money (sorry OP).
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably exhausted itself jumping on all the neighbours trampolines.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Nodger wrote: »
    Indeed. Harsh opinion for the OP, but was also my first thought. What a waste of time and money (sorry OP).
    I have found a dead fox in my garden: what should I do about it?

If you find a dead fox in your garden or in the road outside, call your local authority to arrange for the body to be collected.

http://www.thefoxwebsite.net/faq/foxwelfare#q6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you. :)

I know I did the right thing then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, as for those banging on about taxes etc etc.

Taxes are ALWAYS going to be spent on something. There's never gonna be a moment when taxes freeze and an individual gains the cost of whatever anothers pay-out was. Someone is always going to be on Job Seekers. Someone is always going to be on a disability benefit, someone is always going to get drunk and cause havoc on a Friday night that results in police or whatever.

And there's always going to be a dead fox somewhere!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't get how it's a waste of time?

A dead (wild) animal was in my garden. I have seen countless times that we are supposed to not touch them (which, I guess, I did...with gloves on obviously). What am I to do? None of it is a waste of time.

The deceased animal (according to the environmental line) will apparently be incinerated and destroyed because of potential diseases and the vermin it may carry.
    Forum Member

I would have still just buried it (as one example) not called someone (Local authority) out because a website (I would have never searched for in the first place) tells me to.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    If it had just happened (i.e not rotting or maggot infested) I would have bagged it and disposed of it.

However not everyone has the means nor the inclination to do that.
    Forum Member
    I don't get how it's a waste of time?

A dead (wild) animal was in my garden. I have seen countless times that we are supposed to not touch them (which, I guess, I did...with gloves on obviously). What am I to do? None of it is a waste of time.

The deceased animal (according to the environmental line) will apparently be incinerated and destroyed because of potential diseases and the vermin it may carry.

Precisely, may... All those 1000s of animals that die naturally or diseased everyday, left to nature in the open. Maybe there should be teams of people scouring the entire country daily for every corpse because they 'may'... 'may'... what excatly. Waste of time and money, you think differently. I can live with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this is on a high street which is traversed by school children... infinitely more reason to have it disposed of properly. The may being the deciding factor in this.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Well OP if I could just say - thank you for caring.:kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely, may... All those 1000s of animals that die naturally or diseased everyday, left to nature in the open. Maybe there should be teams of people scouring the entire country daily for every corpse because they 'may'... 'may'... what excatly. Waste of time and money, you think differently. I can live with that.

Yes I am now beginning to feel guilty because of the thousands of pounds it has cost for the council to remove a dead fox.
    Forum Member
    But this is on a high street which is traversed by school children... infinitely more reason to have it disposed of properly. The may being the deciding factor in this.

...in someone's garden, who has said they'll bury it 'if need be'. (no need for Local Authority then).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes this was another big reason. We live on a main road. A high school at the end of it and a secondary at the start. Really busy in the mornings (from 7.30-9pm then around 3-4.30) and it's generally a road that has lots of cars/people going through it. It's not remote or off the beaten track
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...in someone's garden, who has said they'll bury it 'if need be'. (no need for Local Authority then).

That was after I had called them. Initially, I wanted it gone. When they were taking a long while to arrive it was certainly something I would've done but not necessarily happy to (but I am an animal lover and naturally it shoudn't be laying on the path).

I think I regret this thread lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Na, what else would the dead fox collectors be doing? Probably playing Colour Switch on their phone all day.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have probably just double bagged it and put it in the bin, but if the council are happy to remove it, then that's fine.

Having grown up in a rural setting, the site of dead animals never bothered me or my friends as children. I don't know if the OP lives in a city or busy town; maybe some kids are more sheltered to reality than others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Well OP if I could just say - thank you for caring.:kitty:

Thanks! :)
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have probably just double bagged it and put it in the bin, but if the council are happy to remove it, then that's fine.

Ah, but which bin? Get that wrong and it could be a fine.

But this post probably explains why there was a squirrel laid out on the path, paws splayed and on top of a sheet of paper. Which I though was an odd way to go, unless the squirrel had got a dunning notice for it's last nut order. Presumably that was also awaiting official disposal.. or collection by the neighborhood cats & foxes.