Amazon Kindle

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    When you buy a Kindle it gets linked to your Amazon account. You can then either buy books using the Kindle itself (it can access the Kindle shop via your wireless network or 3g depending on which version you have) or via the Amazon website on a PC. I prefer the latter as I find it easier to search for things.

Books bought on the Kindle automatically download. Those bought via the website will download to the Kindle if you selected 'send to Kindle' when you bought them, or you can select them yourself under the 'Archive' section on the Kindle and download them that way. The latter is useful if you do what I do and only have wireless connectivity enabled when actually downloading stuff. This is useful as it uses less power.

Prices depend on lots of factors. If the publisher sets the price then it's usually a rip-off, as you would expect. Just check the Amazon website for the books you are interested in and see how they compare.

Thanks very much for this. I don't have wireless so I'll probably use the Amazon web-site to download them. I'll let you know how I get on. :D:D:D
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kindle's 3G connection is like a red rag to a bull for the weak-willed. I downloaded an M. R. James ghost story anthology whilst killing time on the platform at South Kensington tube station today.:)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    Thanks very much for this. I don't have wireless so I'll probably use the Amazon web-site to download them. I'll let you know how I get on. :D:D:D

If you don't have wireless then you'd be better off buying the more expensive 3g version, otherwise you'd have to connect the Kindle to a PC and drag books onto it manually. I went for the 3g version because I travel a lot and can buy and download books without having to find a wifi hotspot.
  • janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I got a 3G version for Christmas. All I needed to do was register it to me as it was a gift (please remember to say you live in UK I forget this bit and had a few goes). Then you select book you want via wireless Kindle store and order and then book appears on the Kindle.

It is really easy and I am working through free books at the moment but quite fancy Jo Nesbo books next.
    My husband is thrilled as there won't be piles of books round the house now (or so he thinks.....)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    If you don't have wireless then you'd be better off buying the more expensive 3g version, otherwise you'd have to connect the Kindle to a PC and drag books onto it manually. I went for the 3g version because I travel a lot and can buy and download books without having to find a wifi hotspot.

Sorry, but being a bit dense here. I did say that I was not great with gadgets! :o:o:o

I've looked at the Amazon site and they have a 3g with free
    3g & wifi. Is this the one that you have??
  • janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but being a bit dense here. I did say that I was not great with gadgets! :o:o:o

Yes, just find book on site and click buy.
    Presume the other Kindle you attach usb cable to download books.
    It is a pleasure to read not like reading on a computer.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually downloaded the kindle app for my iphone over christmas and I was even surprised at how much I enjoyed using it - i grabbed a couple of freebies and even decided to buy "The Art of War" as well.

I'm actually going to go a slightly different route and order an android tablet and use the kindle app on that.
  • VanillaPodVanillaPod Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The 3G + wi-fi model is the £149 one. The cheaper one you might see on the amazon site is wi-fi only. As others have said, if you don't have wi-fi, it would be best to get the 3G + wi-fi version, because then you can get books directly onto the Kindle device itself, using the 3G (which is the mobile phone network - in the UK it is provided by Vodafone). amazon pays the 3G charges (at least in the UK - I'm not sure what happens if you take it elsewhere). Otherwise, you have to plug it in to your computer and drag books over to it (it shows up as a mass storage device, and I found it quite complicated, although kind people on here helped me :D ) 3G would definitely be easiest because you just click the "buy" link on the page with information about the book you're interested in, and it appears like magic ;) .

Prices vary depending on what you want, and they seem to change almost daily with some books. I'd suggest having a look at the available books on their website and seeing what you think of the selection. They have lists of the bestsellers and a lot of those are under £3, but they go up and down, so really if you see something at a decent price, buy it because it could be dearer tomorrow. Some people have complained that some books they had hoped to buy (mostly sci-fi, from what I've read) aren't available, but it depends on what you like. They certainly have a lot of bodice-ripping romance, if you're interested in that :D At the moment I think they say they have about 400,000 books available in the Kindle format, but that will probably increase if it really is as popular as they say, because that's a huge market for publishers.

You can have a look at the user guide on the amazon site as well, if you want some more information before you make up your mind. If you scroll right down to the bottom of the amazon page with the Kindle on it (either Kindle will do) they have links to the user's guide and also the quick start guide.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Life of Pi by Yann Martel is free today on Amazon.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    :eek::eek::eek: <-- clicky if you dare

It looks even worse on the Kindle!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VanilaPod - you are a pal! You have answered all the queries that I had.

Am now off to buy a Kindle. :D:D:D

*trots off to Amazon*
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Am now off to buy a Kindle. :D:D:D
    *trots off to Amazon*

http://www.feedbooks.com/

Lots of *free* stuff there, not that Amazon don't deserve to make some money out of this fab gadget.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Yes, that's the one I have. Probably a good time to buy now that the Christmas rush is over and most of the snow is gone.
  • JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    Good thread. :)

My family have ordered me a Kindle for my upcoming birthday in the new year. I expect it to arrive over the next couple of days and hopefully before I start back work on the 5th. I'm looking forward to using it in my breaks without having to cart a heavy book around. :D

I have a couple of questions though that just need confirmed as they've already been touched on here.

I already have the Kindle app on my Iphone and also have my own Amazon account. However, my daughter has ordered it on her account but it will be posted directly to my address. So that leaves me a little confused as to how the new Kindle will be registered. Will this be in her name? And if I want to change this, what happens about the app that I have registered with on my Iphone? Sorry if I'm confusing folks here, as I'm a bit confused myself :o

And lastly, the Kindle I'm getting is the wireless only version at £109. Can I download directly through the Kindle so long as I have wireless broadband at home or do I still have to connect it to my computer and drag it over to the Kindle that way? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    JTW wrote: »
    Good thread. :)

My family have ordered me a Kindle for my upcoming birthday in the new year. I expect it to arrive over the next couple of days and hopefully before I start back work on the 5th. I'm looking forward to using it in my breaks without having to cart a heavy book around. :D

I have a couple of questions though that just need confirmed as they've already been touched on here.

I already have the Kindle app on my Iphone and also have my own Amazon account. However, my daughter has ordered it on her account but it will be posted directly to my address. So that leaves me a little confused as to how the new Kindle will be registered. Will this be in her name? And if I want to change this, what happens about the app that I have registered with on my Iphone? Sorry if I'm confusing folks here, as I'm a bit confused myself :o

And lastly, the Kindle I'm getting is the wireless only version at £109. Can I download directly through the Kindle so long as I have wireless broadband at home or do I still have to connect it to my computer and drag it over to the Kindle that way? :confused:

My Kindle arrived unregistered even though I ordered it through my Amazon account, meaning I could register it as I wished.

The wi-fi Kindle downloads books just fine from your wi-fi connection, no need to connect to your PC.
    Forum Member
    My Kindle arrived unregistered even though I ordered it through my Amazon account, meaning I could register it as I wished.

The wi-fi Kindle downloads books just fine from your wi-fi connection, no need to connect to your PC.

Thanks for that. :)

Just one other question. If I purchase and download a book via the PC app or Iphone app before receiving the Kindle, can I transfer it to the Kindle once I receive it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. :)

Just one other question. If I purchase and download a book via the PC app or Iphone app before receiving the Kindle, can I transfer it to the Kindle once I receive it?

Yes, as long as the app and the Kindle are registered to the same Amazon account.
    Forum Member
    Yes, as long as the app and the Kindle are registered to the same Amazon account.

Cheers. You've been really helpful. Thanks :)
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :

It may well be registered to her account when you receive it, but you can deregister it via the Kindle (just press the deregister option, you don't need to be logged into her account or have any of her details) and then you can register it to your own.

Then you should be able to access the books you've already got on your account with your iPhone, by going to the "archive" section (if it doesn't do it automatically).

It's really very user-friendly. Hope you enjoy it :)
    Forum Member
    Revenga wrote: »
    It may well be registered to her account when you receive it, but you can deregister it via the Kindle (just press the deregister option, you don't need to be logged into her account or have any of her details) and then you can register it to your own.

Then you should be able to access the books you've already got on your account with your iPhone, by going to the "archive" section (if it doesn't do it automatically).

It's really very user-friendly. Hope you enjoy it :)

Thanks Revenga, and sorry for the late reply. New Year and all that. :o

I got my Kindle and loving it so far. I got it on the 31st December which was really brilliant, as I didn't expect it until the 4th to 6th January, and am into my 3rd book already.

Well one of them was a short story, the other one a full length novel and one I'm just starting on.

It took me a bit of time getting used to twisting the pad around to get the light that I wanted to read it, but I've got so used to that now in such a short space of time. Unbelievable really how one can adjust to technology like this.

I love the fact that I can instantly log on to Kindle books and get info that I want. Though, I'm happier that I can go onto the web and any site I want to get what I want.............the only downfall being black and white imagery. But does it matter that I can still browse where I want?

This device was made for reading......and thus has been designed with that in mind.

Anyone who wants perfect web browsing, should stick to their laptops. ;):)

So the Kindle is all good so far as far as I'm concerned. I love it. Best present by far. :)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read much more since I have an e-reader, first Sony, now Kindle. It was already great with Sony that I could put a lot of books on it and read when I found a few minutes time. With Kindle became it even better. I have the 3G version and used it several times already to buy a book when I wasn't in a reach of wi-fi or a computer to connect to. Just great.
  • VanillaPodVanillaPod Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I have the 3G version and used it several times already to buy a book when I wasn't in a reach of wi-fi or a computer to connect to. Just great.

I only have the wi-fi version and already every second line of my credit card statement says "amazon digital download" :D If I had 3G I think I'd go broke! It's incredibly easy to use, though, which I think is going to attract a lot of people who couldn't be bothered transferring things with a USB cable (and that would include me).

I particularly like the way that pre-orders just appear like magic at midnight on the day they're released. Well, OK, I haven't actually stayed up to watch :o but the invoice comes through by email at midnight, and the book downloads the next morning when the Kindle is turned on. I suppose that's also how it works with newspaper subscriptions, but I don't have any of those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm being dense but does anybody know what (MIRA) means in the title of some books in the Kindle store? Like this one.

I've just had another look and it's on the paperback version as well.
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm being dense but does anybody know what (MIRA) means in the title of some books in the Kindle store? Like this one.

I've just had another look and it's on the paperback version as well.

Just a publisher: http://www.mirabooks.co.uk/

Well technically an imprint of Harlequin. I'm guessing they do a lot of romance, as those publishers and imprints seem to attract readers who click with a certain style and will buy more books from the same publisher.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Motor Industry Research Association is what springs to mind but I don't suppose that makes sense in this context.