TOAST - Nigel Slater/ Helena Bonham Carter

Comments

• RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This piece by the man himself in the Observer last month is a good read for anyone who enjoyed the film last night

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/nov/14/toast-nigel-slater-film-bonham-carter
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Can't say I really enjoyed this, not a fan of Nigels, but thought it would be interesting.....How wrong I was, gave up after 20 minutes.....way to depressing.:(

:cool:
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisybee79 wrote: »
    I am surprised at how popular this drama was.

I had high hopes-food, nostalgia, fab cast. Win win.

Yet somehow, the recipe for the most sympathetic character in the world, young misunderstood boy who loses his mother early and struggles to deal with fathers new woman and his own sexuality and yay, loves food-managed to be messed up for me.

I have never disliked a character so much-and he was a child. Which makes me feel terrible. Perhaps there were moments of warmth in the book, but all I saw on screen was a spoilt obnoxious young boy, grow into an even more obnoxious older git. The scene when he cooked his father fish and his dad ate it almost won me back. That was touching.

Perhaps I was supposed to feel he had triumphed over adversity at the end when he smirked to camera?

The boy had a moat. And a step mother too obsessed with cleaning and cooking and trying to live up to his poor late mothers memory. She was lovely, it was touching when she tried to show him how to make mince pies.

Sad, yes. But not enough to forgive his utter snobbery and disdain and smugness-I felt no connection to his actions, despite knowing in my heart that he was hurt-when he unwrapped the presents I just gave up trying to feel compassion. I found it too hard.

I sincerely hope he grew out of it. Perhaps some think that such a level of honesty is refreshing, which I understand-unfortunately for me, the honesty simply revealed a character I have little sympathy for, and who for me, was very unlike-able.

Well, I can see many loved it, so I its all horses for courses. :)

From your assessment, I fear you may have missed some things ...

No, young Nigel wasn't entirely likeable - but, by and large, we could see why. He had a dysfunctional relationship with his father, who constantly criticised him and struggled to say anything good about him. Sure, he was maybe a bit of a snob, but it was clear he got that from his mother (she dismissed pork pies out of hand in the opening scene) - and it was obvious he idolised her. He was also an only child and, inevitably, under the circumstances, gravitated more towards his mother than his father. When she died, he obviously felt she was irreplaceable.

I struggle to see why you could find Mrs Potter 'lovely'. She was a married woman very obviously leading Nigel's father on and clearly wanted to escape from her husband and her life on the estate. She always felt threatened by Nigel and was determined not to let him gain the upper hand, as that would threaten the new life she managed to create for herself. Yes, she cooked and cleaned - but where exactly did we see that she wanted to live up to his late mother's memory? :confused: And it wasn't her who showed Nigel how to make mince pies - that was his real mother. We never saw Mrs Potter actually do anything selfless for Nigel. Indeed, when he brought the scones home, she grew ever more antagonistic towards him. She was even blinded to the fact that she had contributed to Mr Slater's death by the volume of food she insisted he ate. I don't understand why anyone with those traits could be seen as 'lovely'. She was deeply flawed - and we understood precisely why.

Was Nigel spoilt because he wasn't interested in some of the presents he'd been bought? He wasn't opening them in front of anyone, so I don't really think it's a big deal. His obsession with food had been well set-up, so it was obvious that he'd be sigificantly more interested in the apron than in the puppets. And if he was so unlikeable, how come he held his weeping father moments just after that? Hardly the actions of an unsympathetic character.

Sorry you didn't like it - but, as you say, each to their own ... ;):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    A sensationally good bit of telly - the best thing I've seen on the box in ages, absolutely ages.

Almost perfect. I hope it wins every award going - I suspect it will.

Brilliant.

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this. Some sad bits and some incerdibly funny bits. It said at the start some things were embelished. It was great.
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Gerkuman wrote: »
    That bit's fair, although to be honest it's not like his father wasn't trying. Some people are just naturally uptight.

She made his life miserable just by being here. He couldn't get over the fact that his father found someone else. But, as I said, she's not a very nice person.

He was 17. That is not being a little kid! He had at least 5 years to grow out of it.

that's speculation... I loved the film but I think it would have been helpful to find out more about Mrs Potter background. There was a reason for her behaviour - seeking love through food - and the scene when she cries looking at a photograph shows her in a very human light. She was heart broken about something and I think it's a shame that she was made to be the villain of the piece when really all she needed was a hug!

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but I thought Victoria Hamilton was superb as the mother - totally heartbreaking with so little needed to be said.
  • mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Helena Bonham Carters Black Country accent was CRAP!! Wobbling all over the place. I reckon its adifficult one to master correctly. I think its too easy to tip over into a comedy Brummie/Midlander accent.

The scene with Nigel discussing the wedding cake with the woman wedding guest- now SHE displayed a GREAT Black Country accent!

Otherwise good btw- just found the accent wobbling a bit jarring..
    As a Wufruian I disagree. It was not a Wolverhampton accent unlike the native one displayed by the wedding guest with the cake and the second gardener. It was a better than normal effort though and a reasonably convincing Smethwick accent. I suspect it will be revealed that she had help from Julie Walters. The first gardener did a better job, only revealing his origins on one occasion by saying 'aint it' rather than 'ay it'
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Loved it.
  • mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    TBH there are so many different West Midlands accents that it would be hard for anyone to master them. She acted the part brilliantly though. She was so believable.
    Yes, she didn't do the naive an unconvincing amalgum that less dedicated actors do. Remember 'Boon'. She stuck to one Smethwick like one.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit having watched this I want to now read the book, as I am hoping that young Nigel is more likeable and there is more background into what drove him to be a chef.

But there is a limit to what can be shown in an hour and a half and I appreciate that.

But back to Toast, I did enjoy it and wish it had been a series and so maybe not so rushed, so we got a better understanding of why there was so much competition for his father's attention.

If the running time of the film was a factor in telling the story properly why was there so much repetition? The same points were rammed home over and over and over again. We got them the first time.
    Forum Member
    Can I just ask who played the gardener?
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Can I just ask who played the gardener?

I take it you mean the lovely Josh, rather than the older one

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2439913/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is they're going to be a DVD because I can't find one to preorder on Amazon?

I hope so, I'm still annoyed that A Passionate Women and Five Days haven't been released from the BBC this year yet.
    Forum Member

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    colinpost wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this, but when the mother was using her asthma inhaler I thought that is modern.
    - As a baby boomer asthmatic - the original pump inhalers were around for a short time. They were taken off the market due to causing heart problems - i know because they nearly killed me ! (later re-introduced as relivers and preventer types - Ventolin/becotode).
    I also remember my grannie had the glass aerosel container pump at the time, which i would expect Slaters mum to have ? .

There where inhalers but you had to put a powder capsule into it and click down and then remove.
    - Spinhalers with orange or green capsules !

As I posted earlier in response to your post, I had a 'modern' inhaler in the 70s as well as a spin-inhaler. It wasn't taken off the market and lasted me through the 70s and 80s. Your experience is your experience and different from mine. It is perfectly plausible for the mother to have been using a 'modern' inhaler as you call it. No mention was made in the film as to its content so your assumptions could be wrong.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thanks i knew he looked familiar but didnt realise he was Fisher Bloom in Lark Rise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Since this drama was based on real people, it's good that they didn't come across as totally likeable and instead had real personalities. It must have been hard for the father though, knowing that his wife could die at any time, even if he wasn't a great father. And losing your mother at a young age can cause 'bratish' behaviour at times, it's not as if children have the same view of death as adults.

For me, this was the best programme on tv all Christmas :) and the young boy playing young Nigel is a good actor for his age.
    Everyone has points about them that others find they have a connection to, so either the writing, casting or Nigel himself is one of those rare people that are totally self absorbed and unlike able in every way.
    Being a brat doesn't make this "real" covering all emotions would have made it "real".
    This was just poor.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    BP4L wrote: »
    Is they're going to be a DVD because I can't find one to preorder on Amazon?

I hope so, I'm still annoyed that A Passionate Women and Five Days haven't been released from the BBC this year yet.

Someone posted earlier that they had ordered one!
    caz_1969 wrote: »
    Just ordered DVD :)

God knows where from though.
    I wonder if it is going to be repeated? I know a few people away on holiday who might want to watch it.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    A very decent audience of 6.2m watched last night - officially a hit. That puts it ahead of some well-established TV drama series this year. Thoroughly well deserved.

6.2m is that really a hit?

What is that comparable to? (sorry to be a pain, but I don't follow ratings etc so just curious)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was poorly last night so I wasn't really taking it in, and I went to bed half way through - but I've just watched it all now, and oh my goodness, I loved it! So touching, and so carefully and lovingly made, I thought. And despite how sad most of it was, I thought the end was really uplifting. Really loved it, definitely the most enjoyable thing I've seen in a long time.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was brilliant, loved it. I want to order the book as they did a 'toast' bbc tie in version.

Where to order the dvd though!?
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a disappointment. Only the splendid Ken Stott saved this show from being completely boring.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sorry to hear that teresagreen, it must have be a terribly confusing time for you & with no way of letting out what your feelings were :cry:

Thank you. Luckily I had a lovely older sister and brother-in-law to be, who looked after three of us who were left behind as well as my dad who was poorly but a hard worker. It was confusing and different things go through your mind as you are growing up but you can't understand them. Never mind; people have gone through much, much worse, and one big advantage was that we all stayed close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    For those harping on about how 'unlikeable' the boy was. May I draw your attention to Hamlet.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not read the book, but according to Wikipedia, Nigel Slater has two older brothers, Adrian and John, one of whom was adopted from a neighbour.

There is a big difference between being an only child and being the youngest of three brothers. Does anyone know why Slater does not mention his older brothers in Toast?