Official: Boy George & Paloma Faith join panel

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    There again the panel can only pick (or decline) the people put in front (or behind in this case) them. If the producers and directors only select a bunch of cruise ship and wedding singers that is all we'll see. We rarely see anyone too extreme on The Voice as a contestant anyway. Maybe the change needs to be as much in the contestants as the panel.

I think there's a self selection process here, in that most people with a more alternative/indie/quirky sensibility tend not to audition for these type of shows, because these shows are seen as lacking in credibility.
    Those type of artists tend to come up through the live club/pub scene not getting on one of these shows.
    So it's not what the producers and directors send up but the group who audition in the first place.
  • Options
    zohar100zohar100 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I can't believe how much rancour there is about Boy George's signing. He's probably the best thing that could have happened to the show; a huge personality with a truly in-depth knowledge of pop music. People like Jessie J and Rita Ora are real Jemima Come Latelies in comparison. That they're considered 'stars' says far more about the low quality of today's pop singers than it does about their talent, charisma or pulling power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zohar100 wrote: »
    I can't believe how much rancour there is about Boy George's signing. He's probably the best thing that could have happened to the show; a huge personality with a truly in-depth knowledge of pop music. People like Jessie J and Rita Ora are real Jemima Come Latelies in comparison. That they're considered 'stars' says far more about the low quality of today's pop singers than it does about their talent, charisma or pulling power.

Yes, but George has been out of the pop scene for a while, djing. So whether he knows about current pop music is doubtful.

I find his personality a little bit overbearing and frankly rude. Whether he will be successful on the show will depend if he can reign in some of the more negative sides of his personality while still keep it interesting.

On the one hand, you are saying don't criticize George, but then you come here and criticize younger artists. That seems to me hypocritical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a funny article about what George said about the Voice in the past. Quite hypocritical!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3202872/New-coach-Boy-George-branded-Voice-pointless-Twitter.html
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    BiB - really ?

when was the last time we saw acts like leah mcfall , vince kidd or lucy o'byrne on a show like x factor ?

X factor has definitely had its left of field characters like Johnny Robinson, Rhydian Roberts and Wagner (the former 2 could definitely sing). Rhydian was actually runner up so couldn't be quantified as a joke.

I do think that X factor is generally aimed at younger market manufactured (1D, Little Mix, cough). The Voice is, or has been, generally for the more mature market. I think what it trying to do is look a bit less "safe".
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    X factor has definitely had its left of field characters like Johnny Robinson, Rhydian Roberts and Wagner (the former 2 could definitely sing). Rhydian was actually runner up so couldn't be quantified as a joke.

I do think that X factor is generally aimed at younger market manufactured (1D, Little Mix, cough). The Voice is, or has been, generally for the more mature market. I think what it trying to do is look a bit less "safe".

those guys weren't "extreme" or "quirky" in musical terms , they were jokes

so if what you mean by the voice not having extreme acts is they dont have the act there for everyone to make fun of and have a laugh at then you are right

i dont think thats a negative thing for the show however
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    those guys weren't "extreme" or "quirky" in musical terms , they were jokes

so if what you mean by the voice not having extreme acts is they dont have the act there for everyone to make fun of and have a laugh at then you are right

i dont think thats a negative thing for the show however

BIB what about the final act of the last series that Will got stuck with? Forgotten his name sorry. Will waited until the final act and still had one slot left on his team. What about the Black Lace guy (admitted he didn't make a team)?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    BIB what about the final act of the last series that Will got stuck with? Forgotten his name sorry. Will waited until the final act and still had one slot left on his team. What about the Black Lace guy (admitted he didn't make a team)?

you always have acts like that in the auditions, on the voice they are very much the exception however

that guy made it through because of poor planning by will and him taking a gamble not because he was actually wanted and had got through 3 or 4 rounds of judging to get to the live shows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you always have acts like that in the auditions, on the voice they are very much the exception however

that guy made it through because of poor planning by will and him taking a gamble not because he was actually wanted and had got through 3 or 4 rounds of judging to get to the live shows

The last guy was obviously a set up and so was used deliberately as a joke imho. Whether it was done with his knowledge I don't know but he was older and had been round the entertainment block and knew the score (pardon the pun). It wouldn't have been funny with a vulnerable teen, it seemed cruel enough as it was.

Yes it was bad organisation by Will but he is known for waiting till the end and so the director or whoever put that guy on at the end as a deliberate ploy. Will may even have been in on it who knows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Yes, but George has been out of the pop scene for a while, djing. So whether he knows about current pop music is doubtful.

I find his personality a little bit overbearing and frankly rude. Whether he will be successful on the show will depend if he can reign in some of the more negative sides of his personality while still keep it interesting.

On the one hand, you are saying don't criticize George, but then you come here and criticize younger artists. That seems to me hypocritical.

If you've ever seen Boy George interviewed, given the opportunity, he'll talk very enthusiastically about all sorts of music be that current or from the past. There's no age limit on being interested in good music; if that were true, then Tom Jones would never have been hired in the first place.

Part of the reason this show has never properly made a splash is because of the blandness of many of the judges to date, such as the aforementioned Rita Ora. If Boy George is true to himself, he won't pull any punches and that will make the show far much more interesting to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've ever seen Boy George interviewed, given the opportunity, he'll talk very enthusiastically about all sorts of music be that current or from the past. There's no age limit on being interested in good music; if that were true, then Tom Jones would never have been hired in the first place.

Part of the reason this show has never properly made a splash is because of the blandness of many of the judges to date, such as the aforementioned Rita Ora. If Boy George is true to himself, he won't pull any punches and that will make the show far much more interesting to watch.

I've seen him interviewed and he himself said that he's not up on the current pop scene. He's been out of it djing and has no clue about current pop music. He mostly talks about artists like David Bowie from the 70's.

I guess George's personality is a matter of taste. I don't find him interesting. I find him mean spirited and rude.

I also find him hypocritical. In that he criticized the Voice is pointless. He's obviously just doing this for the money and to increase his own celebrity. I bet he will get in some fight with the producers and start bad mouthing the show in no time.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Yes it was bad organisation by Will but he is known for waiting till the end and so the director or whoever put that guy on at the end as a deliberate ploy. Will may even have been in on it who knows.

Either way, it was an awful and crass exploitation. All because the producers of The Voice don't have the brains to allow judges to nominate 'near miss' contestants, who would all perform once more in the event of a slot being unfilled. That way, there wouldn't have been the farce of the last chicken in Tesco getting a shot, because Will I Am had no choice but to pick him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way, it was an awful and crass exploitation. All because the producers of The Voice don't have the brains to allow judges to nominate 'near miss' contestants, who would all perform once more in the event of a slot being unfilled. That way, there wouldn't have been the farce of the last chicken in Tesco getting a shot, because Will I Am had no choice but to pick him.

Good suggestion
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen him interviewed and he himself said that he's not up on the current pop scene. He's been out of it djing and has no clue about current pop music. He mostly talks about artists like David Bowie from the 70's.

I guess George's personality is a matter of taste. I don't find him interesting. I find him mean spirited and rude.

I also find him hypocritical. In that he criticized the Voice is pointless. He's obviously just doing this for the money and to increase his own celebrity. I bet he will get in some fight with the producers and start bad mouthing the show in no time.

BIB - apologies for stucking my oar in ........ but what other reason are Will and Ricky on the show if not to make money and up their celebrity/name? Or Kylie, or Jessie J or Rita or any of the previous judges??

I would be happy to stand in the dunce corner if anyone can convince me any of them do it for any other reason :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think it's normal to remain inspired by the pop stars who inspired us when we were teenagers, so that's not particularly a a strike against him. But I've also heard him praise people like Adele, Sam Smith and Kanye so he's obviously got up to date knowledge too, that he can bring to the show. But again, Tom Jones is more than two decades older than George and yet you don't seem to have an issue with him. It's pretty obvious you personally don't like Boy George which, well, is just too bad since he's now hired for the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's normal to remain inspired by the pop stars who inspired us when we were teenagers, so that's not particularly a a strike against him. But I've also heard him praise people like Adele, Sam Smith and Kanye so he's obviously got up to date knowledge too, that he can bring to the show. But again, Tom Jones is more than two decades older than George and yet you don't seem to have an issue with him. It's pretty obvious you personally don't like Boy George which, well, is just too bad since he's now hired for the series.

Actually, I think they should have at least one person on there who is younger in their 20's. Now all of them are in their 30's, 40s and 50s. But I don't think Boy George is being hired for his knowledge. He is being hired because of his controversial personality. He's know for saying outrageous things and starting fights with people. So if I don't like him it's because he kind of has adopted a persona to say outrageous things to stir people up. If you chose to say the type of things he does, it's not surprising if they're people that don't agree with the things you say or don't like you. I really have no strong feeling about Tom Jones either way because his persona is not based around being outrageous or controversial. Obviously, they hired someone like Boy George hoping he would stir the pot with outrageous bitchy comments to get column inches in the tabloids not for his musical knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, I think they should have at least one person on there who is younger in their 20's. Now all of them are in their 30's, 40s and 50s. But I don't think Boy George is being hired for his knowledge. He is being hired because of his controversial personality. He's know for saying outrageous things and starting fights with people. So if I don't like him it's because he kind of has adopted a persona to say outrageous things to stir people up. If you chose to say the type of things he does, it's not surprising if they're people that don't agree with the things you say or don't like you. I really have no strong feeling about Tom Jones either way because his persona is not based around being outrageous or controversial. Obviously, they hired someone like Boy George hoping he would stir the pot with outrageous bitchy comments to get column inches in the tabloids not for his musical knowledge.

Perhaps the the judges ages reflects that of its audience...?

I've already said that he's a big personality so I've no doubt that that was large part of the reason for hiring him, but he's also far from clueless about music so that's inevitably going to come into play, regardless of what the producers have in mind. But anyway, Kylie did little more than purr and giggle inanely, so at least we know with George that whatever he does will be a lot more interesting than that. Thank God.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    My god i am showing my age here but i have not seen Boy George on TV since he starred in a special episode of the 'A Team' which i think was back in the 1980'S (It's so long ago i can't precisely remember!), but i think he will be a great judge on The Voice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My god i am showing my age here but i have not seen Boy George on TV since he starred in a special episode of the 'A Team' which i think was back in the 1980'S (It's so long ago i can't precisely remember!), but i think he will be a great judge on The Voice

Haha!! Yes, you're referring to the A Team episode called 'Cowboy George'! :D