Options

Next door's kid has thrown at least 40 items into my garden!

2»

Comments

• Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    £14.99 buys an Argos small pop up flexi goal, a focus for the lad, and lasting goodwill from your neighbour. Tell the mum you'll consider getting it for her boy, if he stops lobbing over fence. After that point, you are under no further obligation to return incoming missiles, by prior agreement.

Oh dear..................you're not really serious..........are you:o
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    Oh dear..................you're not really serious..........are you:o

It's not a bad idea really .. What's £15 and you can be diplomatic with your neighbours ..
  • Options
    MichellerlzMichellerlz Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Calling someone ignorant doesn't really address the problem the poster mentioned - it's a nice way to avoid the issue yourself actually. I suppose the poster is racist as well? That's another good one.

No, it doesn't address the problem, neither does assuming ADHD is an excuse for naughty kids or lazy parenting. Where does racism come into anything ? I'm not avoiding any issue, if I was the poster I would go and knock on the door and speak to the mother like other posters have said, no need to repeat the same.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know who the landlord is? Or where they live?

I'd speak to the mother first too. In a nice, calm 'kids will be kids' way. If that doesn't solve the issue you then make it the landlords problem. They are benefitting from the person living in the house. They should sort it out.

I have issues with a neighbour a few years ago and took this route. It's amazing how fast it gets it sorted :D
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a bad idea really .. What's £15 and you can be diplomatic with your neighbours ..

Oh what rubbish, buying a gift for your irritating neighbours is like trying to appease an angry ex-partner with chocolates and flowers.

OP, be firm and reasonable at first (without bloody stupid bribes), then escalate accordingly as the situation warrants.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Oh what rubbish, buying a gift for your irritating neighbours is like trying to appease an angry ex-partner with chocolates and flowers.

OP, be firm and reasonable at first (without bloody stupid bribes), then escalate accordingly as the situation warrants.

not really, i always pass things through to my neighbour to see if her boy wants them..

but then we are friends.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know people find different things annoying, but this is one issue that I'd find so minor that I could never get annoyed over it.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you don't want to talk to her, but sometimes you have to. I would take the items around to her every time something came over. A pain for you initially, but an even bigger pain for her. To stop this constant stream of door knocking from you (be polite) she will make sure her child ceases lobbing these items over into your garden.

Make the problem hers. She'll soon sort it out for her own peace.

Doesn't always work that way Jimmy.
    We live in a relatively small cul-de-sac consisting of maybe 28-30 houses, all privately owned.
    About 20 years ago, a couple who had been living in Namibia bought an end of terrace house when the husband retired, and they returned to the UK for their twilight years.
    In a house diagonally opposite their house was a middle class family, husband an architect, wife a lady that lunched, they had 2 sons, about 9 and 11 at the time.
    The 2 boys began to kick a football against the front door of the elderly couple's house, on a regular basis.
    The couple politely asked them to desist, and when this was ignored, they tried to have a quiet word with the parents, (I did not witness this part, but I was assured by witnesses that it was true.)
    The mother went into meltdown and began screaming insults at the elderly couple, so much so that someone called the police.
    It eventually calmed down, and although I have no idea what the police said to the boys parents, they, (the police), suggested that the elderly gentleman's son install a video camera to record any possible future malfeasance.
    This led to the boys mother declaring to anyone who cared to listen, that the elderly couple's son, (who lived elsewhere) was a paedophile, filming her sons for his own evil amusement.
    As you can imagine, this brought an air of dark foreboding to the street, and almost led to murders, and was only laid to rest when the offending family sold up and moved.
    Ergo, knocking on the door for a quiet chat in an effort to defuse situations doesn't always work.
    It should, but it depends on the attitudes of the people who are involved in the discussion.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    Ah yes - this century's excuse for badly behaved and out of (parental) control children. Lazy parenting and spoiled brats and always lots of excuses for both springs to mind.

Do you feel the same about schizophrenia, dementia or autism as they are far worse mental illnesses so why not ADHD?
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you feel the same about schizophrenia, dementia or autism as they are far worse mental illnesses so why not ADHD?

What I'm saying is that I did not believe in anxiety etc until I got it a few years ago and thought about it some more and come to the conclusion the brain is a very complicated thing and if it can get something so extreme as the above conditions I mentioned surly ADHD is a possibility as the effects are nowhere near as extreme.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Doesn't always work that way Jimmy.
    We live in a relatively small cul-de-sac consisting of maybe 28-30 houses, all privately owned.
    About 20 years ago, a couple who had been living in Namibia bought an end of terrace house when the husband retired, and they returned to the UK for their twilight years.
    In a house diagonally opposite their house was a middle class family, husband an architect, wife a lady that lunched, they had 2 sons, about 9 and 11 at the time.
    The 2 boys began to kick a football against the front door of the elderly couple's house, on a regular basis.
    The couple politely asked them to desist, and when this was ignored, they tried to have a quiet word with the parents, (I did not witness this part, but I was assured by witnesses that it was true.)
    The mother went into meltdown and began screaming insults at the elderly couple, so much so that someone called the police.
    It eventually calmed down, and although I have no idea what the police said to the boys parents, they, (the police), suggested that the elderly gentleman's son install a video camera to record any possible future malfeasance.
    This led to the boys mother declaring to anyone who cared to listen, that the elderly couple's son, (who lived elsewhere) was a paedophile, filming her sons for his own evil amusement.
    As you can imagine, this brought an air of dark foreboding to the street, and almost led to murders, and was only laid to rest when the offending family sold up and moved.
    Ergo, knocking on the door for a quiet chat in an effort to defuse situations doesn't always work.
    It should, but it depends on the attitudes of the people who are involved in the discussion.

Blimey, she sounded like a real horror to live close to. :o

You're absolutely right of course. It really does depend on the attitudes of the people involved. Hopefully the OP's neighbour is a little more accommodating than the awful couple who lived near you. They (especially the lady that lunched:D) sounded like a real nightmare.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puncture the balls, take them to the local tip, then deny all knowledge of them.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I've no interest in talking to this woman

Why on earth not? A simple knocking on the door to return a bag of collected stuff in a friendly way could resolve the whole situation.

If it doesn't go well then contact the landlord, but in all probability the mother probably isn't even aware of the extent this is going on and will put a stop to the offending behaviour..
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Puncture the balls, take them to the local tip, then deny all knowledge of them.

I must admit that my reaction was also along the lines of "Can you not treat the unwanted items in your garden as litter and simply dispose of them?".