Options

Corbyn's Cabinet

Comments

• Options
    nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Burnham - Shadow Home (Team Burnham)
    Hilary Benn - Shadow Foreign (Team Burnham)
    Heidi Alexander - Shadow Health (Team Burnham)
    Lord Falconer - Shadow Justice (Team Burnham)
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories basically have free rein for two years. How can the entire Cabinet agree that the UK should withdraw from NATO?
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Well, that is a disastrous decision. Bryant is a strong, vocal MP who would stand up for the BBC. At a time when charter renewal could reduce the BBC into something Labour would be dismayed about, Corbyn gets rid of the person who could give effective opposition over the subject. Bonkers! Unless of course, this is Corbyn's revenge for last week's Panorama!

Sorry didn't read it right it said his removed his Job title from his Twitter Page so maybe he got a job elsewher in in Corbyn's Cabinet:confused:
  • Options
    samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Another one gone:

Mary Creagh
    @MaryCreaghMP
    Just spoken to @jeremycorbyn to congratulate him on becoming @UKLabour leader. I have decided to return to backbenches..

This is appointment by the process of elimination. Even the nerdiest of political anoraks is going to be asking "who?" over some of the names Corbyn finds willing to work with him.

Who?

He needs to unite the party but some of these names that have gone have shown their true colours and there is no loss imo...

the likes of hunt, creigh, reeves i mean what did they do under milibands cabinet? I think labour needed a fresh start tbh but the party split is a problem though.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvette Cooper to chair a "task force on refugees".
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/burnham-and-benn-take-shadow-cabinet-jobs/

Whatever that means is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair is there anyone within the current Labour crowd who would be defined as indispensable? I can't think of anyone.

No. The 'talent' that has come into the party since the later Blair years has been near to nonexistent. That's partially due to the social base of the party being dismantled along with the unions preventing promotion of talent from that area and partially because so many who got themselves in as Blairites are vacuous PPE careerists.

I'm just sort of pointing out the same thing as you really. I'm sure a lot of people will be making out that lots of these people moving to the backbenches are serious blows even though they don't rate them at all.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Andy Burnham - Shadow Home
    Hilary Benn - Shadow Foreign
    Heidi Alexander - Shadow Health
    Lord Falconer - Shadow Justice

No word on shadow chancellor yet.

So its pick a role where you don't disagree on everything Corbyn stands for. Burnham can't vote for his economic, foreign or defence policy - so gets home. Benn can continue as foreign policy is being fudged. . Health goes to an unknown and he can't find a justice minister in the Commons.

Burnham was toast anyway - he's forever now Mr flip flop, and he's even on record as saying he would and wouldn't take a job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvette Cooper to chair a "task force on refugees".
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/burnham-and-benn-take-shadow-cabinet-jobs/

Whatever that means is anyone's guess.

Would have been a decent quango/parking job last week but with Germany's actions today she might have just jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its pick a role where you don't disagree on everything Corbyn stands for. Burnham can't vote for his economic, foreign or defence policy - so gets home. Benn can continue as foreign policy is being fudged. . Health goes to an unknown and he can't find a justice minister in the Commons.

Burnham was toast anyway - he's forever now Mr flip flop, and he's even on record as saying he would and wouldn't take a job.

Andy Burnham has made himself look a complete fool. Hes just power mad at any cost.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Hardly a shadow cabinet of all the talents. More a collection of dross and delusion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Andy Burnham has made himself look a complete fool. Hes just power mad at any cost.

He's like the over enthusiastic kid who will volunteer for anything. Theresa May is going to make mincemeat of him.

Hillary Benn for Foreign Affairs is a decent enough appointment. He's almost as bland and as boring as Philip Hammond. Their debates are going to be coma-inducing.

Falconer comes with a huge amount of Blairite baggage.

I haven't a clue who Heidi Alexander is.
  • Options
    kaloukkalouk Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »

I disagree. I respect him more for staying and trying to make it work. Corbyn has said that he wants the shadow cabinet to cover all factions of the party and for everyone to voice their opinions. If the others feel they cannot serve that is their choice of course but they could have stayed to fight their corner and find some middle ground but have chosen not to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any thoughts on the Shadow Business or Defence:confused:
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Hardly a shadow cabinet of all the talents. More a collection of dross and delusion.

As opposed to Chuka, Hunt and Reeves? Labour ain't exactly bursting with talent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the Shadow Business or Defence:confused:

Corbyn doesn't believe in either of them ;-)

Here's his defence policy: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO0B7d9WwAAeieu.jpg:large
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed

Vernon Croaker for Shadow NI (Team Cooper)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here's his defence policy: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO0B7d9WwAAeieu.jpg:large

His just said he does read the Sun:D
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tessa Jowell doing paper review on Sky News - might be interesting!
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burnham's been made Shadow Minister for Opportunism, I believe.

Well done, Andy!
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kalouk wrote: »
    I disagree. I respect him more for staying and trying to make it work. Corbyn has said that he wants the shadow cabinet to cover all factions of the party and for everyone to voice their opinions. If the others feel they cannot serve that is their choice of course but they could have stayed to fight their corner and find some middle ground but have chosen not to.

That's not how I see it but we are all entitled to our opinions :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Mcdonnell is Shadow Chancoler(sp)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D

Amazing stuff though. The parliamentary votes are going to be fascinating. Corbyn has been a maverick peripheral figure for what seems like forever and here he is forming his own shadow cabinet! You couldn't make this up, it will be a brilliant history and the teenagers of the future will be moaning that they have to revise "Corbyn and the re-birth of the left" for some distant mock A level :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow Business Secretary - Angela Eagle (No backing given)
    Shadow Chancellor - John McDonnell (Team Corbyn)
    Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury - Seema Malhotra (Team Cooper)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    John Mcdonnell is Shadow Chancoler(sp)

Oh well, there goes any hope of him going for a relatively moderate economic plan.

Osborne must be thinking all his birthdays have come at once.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old McDonnell has a job, ee-ii-ee-ii-oo!