ESA Medicals & Support group

Comments

• LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that's good news!
    I think usually we only hear about the bad experiences people have.
    I think if you're honest, have your evidence and your accessor isn't just a box ticker, you'll be all right.
    Glad it worked out well for you. It's nice to get a nice surprise occasionally isn't it.

Yes, it does. I was honestly expecting either a huge fight or a huge wait.

As I said before my assessor was really nice, if I'm honest that enabled me to feel comfortable talking about myself. I can see if you have a horrible assessor how they will not get the 'best' out of people.

Hopefully others will have a good experience too.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    Hi all just a quick update; I have received a letter this morning to say my PiP has been approved, I have been awarded the higher rate in both areas. My claim was started on 2 June and the letter is dated 11 August, so all in all just over two months. I will get my backdated payment on Tuesday.

I must admit I'm really surprised by the whole process. I would seem to be one of the 'lucky' ones. My claim has been dealt with quickly, the assessor was really nice and I got the outcome I deserve.

Admittedly I was really wary about applying, I have - like most other people heard lots of horror stories, I'm glad I bit the bullet and applied now.

Thanks to those who offerd me help and advice. Good luck to anyone who's applying or waiting to hear

Good news.

Just goes to show people shouldn't believe all they read, most assessors are lovely people and not there to trip you up or trick you. They are just doing their job to the best of their ability and wany to get the best repot they can. The assessment reports are audited constantly so they have to be accurate and succinct, bearing in mind the decision maker is NOT medically qualified and the assessor is.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    Good news.

Just goes to show people shouldn't believe all they read, most assessors are lovely people and not there to trip you up or trick you. They are just doing their job to the best of their ability and wany to get the best repot they can. The assessment reports are audited constantly so they have to be accurate and succinct, bearing in mind the decision maker is NOT medically qualified and the assessor is.

Actually, I've just had feedback about a client I did a PIP application for. He had his assessment last week, his support worker went with him and the sw said the assessor was lovely, really understanding, helpful etc.

It would be great if they were all like that, for ESA as well.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    chloeb wrote: »
    Good news.

It only takes one or two bad apples to spoil it for the rest. Like this nurse who was caught out. http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/atos-nurse-lied-about-pip-claimant-attending-assessment-alone/.
    Atos nurse ‘lied’ about PIP claimant attending assessment alone
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Anyone had an assement done my maximus yet? In all my medical pip esa I've personally never had any critisium. They have always been nice I have also seen the right person for my mental health. Reading about this maximus is worrying me I should medical in next few months for my esa.
  • Sarah_Jones5Sarah_Jones5 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a question if you do not mind: I used to suffer from Febrile Convultions as a child and as result I do not drive and tried to make a claim for JSA and the Advisor said I could not claim due to transport issues with shifts and not being qualified for driving jobs. I have applied for jobs and had to confirm this on medical forms and cannot get jobs depending on the duties, am I suppose to claim ESA instead as I currently do not have any income?
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Just a question if you do not mind: I used to suffer from Febrile Convultions as a child and as result I do not drive and tried to make a claim for JSA and the Advisor said I could not claim due to transport issues with shifts and not being qualified for driving jobs. I have applied for jobs and had to confirm this on medical forms and cannot get jobs depending on the duties, am I suppose to claim ESA instead as I currently do not have any income?

they said you couldn't claim JSA because you cannot drive, thats ridiculous, i was on jsa years ago and i have never driven a car in my life ,

i would try and make a claim for ESA (am not expert though)

hope this helps :)

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks I do not even know what NI Contributions I have paid as I have not earned anything for a good while and I did also have a letter from them when I tried to reclaim before saying I had not paid enough National Insurance it was there fault though as I signed off due to their comments I take it is was an easy way to sanction me these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They're talking rubbish. Loads of people on JSA or Universal Credit can't drive!

The way to get round the shift work thing is not to say "I can't do shift work" but to say you're prepared to travel for 90 minutes by public transport to get to work (and 90- mins to get back again). This is the maximum length of time deemed reasonable in DWP's own guidance to decision makers.

So, if they expect you to apply for a job that has a shift starting at 5 am, you go and show them timetables and everything that show you'd have to get the bus at 10 0'clock the previous night, so your travelling time would be 7 hours. Ditto for shifts that end so late you wouldn't be able to get home until the following morning. I've won sanction appeals on this very point.

If you're claiming universal credit (most areas are now, unless you have dependants or a disability), there are huge issues with DWP staff not knowing how to vary the claimant commitment, and they usually issue everyone with the same one. If it's UC, I'll check the regulations when I'm back at work tomorrow and let you know how it works.

With regard to ESA, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how febrile convulsions make you unable to work. Afaik, that generally only affects children and only when they have a fever, so not something you could rely on for ESA purposes. Even epilepsy doesn't get you through the ESA medical, unless its hard to control with drugs and the fits are very frequent (or they're at least weekly and involve losing controls of bowels or bladder).

Having said that, if your GP is happy to sign you off, they can't refuse you ESA for the first few weeks, but you would have to be prepared for being found fit for work at your medical assessment. You'd have to claim JSA then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks I do not even know what NI Contributions I have paid as I have not earned anything for a good while and I did also have a letter from them when I tried to reclaim before saying I had not paid enough National Insurance it was there fault though as I signed off due to their comments I take it is was an easy way to sanction me these days.

If you're single, you'd be entitled to income-related JSA, UC or ESA, because you have no income. If you live with a partner, their income would be taken into account and you'd only get help if your partner's income was less than £124.85 pw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask why you are not driving because of the febrile convolutions? As a PP said these are a childhood fit that is caused by a sudden spike in temperature. My youngest suffers from them and they are common up until the age of 2 and then the child should start to outgrow them and they should be totally gone by 6 or 8, I can't remember. They should have no bearing on weather you can drive or not as an adult.

I have never claimed JSA, but a close family friend was. He can't drive - he never learnt- and he managed to claim and the job he eventually got was (well is because he is still there) shift work. Admittedly he does live where there is okayish bus services. IMO you need to either go to the Job Centre and have another chat or citizens advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I do not drive is because I tried to learn and the instructor I phoned told me to check with my doctor first they deemed me ok if I only had an history of Febrile Convultions however I also have an history of very bad panic attacks, I was also asked to visit the Optician for other reasons, so a combination of reasons I suppose so for the mistake when typing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told by the Advisor I saw that it was all jobs I would need to apply for regardless of medical history, whether I drive or not, etc. This is what caused the problem in the first place as I applied for a job and on the medical questionaire was a question asking do you have or have you ever had any of the following: under the question was tick boxes of yes and no, one of the statements was Epilepsy/Convultions/Black outs or similar, I tried to answer the questions as fully as possible, it got misrepresented by the employer as they said it was misleading, so I requested a note from my doctor to clarify the problem and they said they would not give me one due to confidentiality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please note that there was no where below to clarify on the form and the job envolved using a ladder.
    Forum Member
    I was told by the Advisor I saw that it was all jobs I would need to apply for regardless of medical history, whether I drive or not, etc. This is what caused the problem in the first place as I applied for a job and on the medical questionaire was a question asking do you have or have you ever had any of the following: under the question was tick boxes of yes and no, one of the statements was Epilepsy/Convultions/Black outs or similar, I tried to answer the questions as fully as possible, it got misrepresented by the employer as they said it was misleading, so I requested a note from my doctor to clarify the problem and they said they would not give me one due to confidentiality.

ridiculous you have to apply for jobs that require something that you cannot do due to your medical problems, sorry to hear the jobcentre are messing you about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't understand why you would declare febrile convulsions, assuming you outgrew them it would be several years since you have had one.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions/telling-dvla-about-a-medical-condition-or-disability

I can fully understand about not learning because of panic attacks, I suffer from really bad panic attacks myself. Also because you need to go to the opticians this in itself doesn't necessarily mean you are unfit to drive.

Obviously you have your reasons for not learning to drive and as other posters have stated it should not go against you when you apply for JSA. As I previously said I think you need to go back to the job centre or get an appointment at citizens advice.

Are you claiming housing and council tax benefits?
    Forum Member
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    Obviously you have your reasons for not learning to drive and as other posters have stated it should not go against you when you apply for JSA. As I previously said I think you need to go back to the job centre or get an appointment at citizens advice.

do you need to know how to drive to claim JSA these days?
  • phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely that could be classed as discrimination. Some people like myself have had their license revoked, some as not able to learn to drive such as my son who is useless at mechanical things. Plus many simply cannot afford to run a car, my OH only runs one as it is essential for getting to work for 4am starts, where there is no bus service running here.
    Would that mean if I had to sign on I would be unable to get Jsa?
    Forum Member
    phepia wrote: »
    Would that mean if I had to sign on I would be unable to get Jsa?

i don't know, tried looking for an answer online but found nothing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, not at all.

Although they'd probably still want you to apply for driving jobs!
  • pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a medical for PIP this week with ATOS.
    The assesor woman was frantically banging away on the keyboard, does anybody know just what it is they are typing during these medicals?
  • hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »
    I had a medical for PIP this week with ATOS.
    The assesor woman was frantically banging away on the keyboard, does anybody know just what it is they are typing during these medicals?

If it is anything like what they did with my brother recently, it will be completely fictional information about you. Or at the very least making your health concerns seem like a common cold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are writing the report - or in my case key points of the report for the DWP. Yes some people have had bad experiences with ATOS but if you read back through the thread you will see me previous posts. Personally I think it's down to the luck of the draw.
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Although they'd probably still want you to apply for driving jobs!

that makes no sense and would be a waste of everybody's time since i cannot drive
  • hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that makes no sense and would be a waste of everybody's time since i cannot drive

I was actually told in the past by people who work for DWP as well as staff at Ingeus "It does not matter if you can't drive, the employer might make an exception." In what world would any employer advertising a job that requires a full driving license, consider someone who does not have a full driving license, or even more so a person who does not even have a provisional? When you make such a point to them, the answer is almost always "Well its worth a shot."