TV programs shown during the school holidays in the 60/70's

speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone remember a foreign tv prog, shown during the school hol's in the 1960/70's. Can't remember what it was about, but it had some town with a canal or river running through the centre of it. Was a very wide canal. Never could make out what it was about.
I know this is a bit vague, but its been on my mind for a while. Thanks in advance

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could it be 'Le Ballon Rouge' which used to be shown on TV in the 60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqyVB7G5W0
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I have no idea what the programme is but used to love watching the TV back then

Flashing blade
    Belle and Sebastion
    Robinson Crusoe
    and one about horses???

ah happy days
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical viewing then would be Sesame St, Wild Horses, Robinson Crusoe, Why Don't You.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Typical viewing then would be Sesame St, Wild Horses, Robinson Crusoe, Why Don't You.

Why Don't You was so tedious that I Did.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was OK for its time.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Sorry I have no idea what the programme is but used to love watching the TV back then

Flashing blade
    Belle and Sebastion
    Robinson Crusoe
    and one about horses???

ah happy days

White Horses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6z8GUywyc
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Hand Gang was another import that was rerun endlessly till the 80s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was also the movie cliffhanger serials such as Flash Gordon, Buck Roger and King Of The Rocketmen etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Sounds very much like "The Secret of Steel City" to me, although according to tvcream it had a mid week late afternoon slot ( which is how I recall it). That doesn't mean to say it didn't get recycled for school hols.

I remember all those mentioned so far, so I'll throw some others into the ring (as well as some saturday morning 70's stuff):-

Play Chess - always on during the hols and always boring as fook.
    Banana Splits - even though it was a slice of late 60's americana I loved this. Who didn't want one of them six wheeled amphibious buggies? Action Man got one.
    California Fever - I didn't really know much about the eastern coast of america but I wanted to go there!
    Champion the Wonder Horse - black and white and obviously ancient!
    Big Blue Marble - didn't really get the message of 'togetherness'.
    Catch Candy - story about a very naughty boy?
    Ghost Hunters - on just before 'World of Sport' I reckon?

I'm sure there's a few others in the memory drawer marked 'things I watched on tv as a kid'...
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Some of my very earliest memories:

Rupert The Bear.

H.R Puffnstuf.

Danger Island.

The Mary Hopkin Show. (My earliest crush).
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was all so in the 80s I remember watching silas and the boy who lost his laugh
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    bodegg wrote: »
    Sounds very much like "The Secret of Steel City" to me, although according to tvcream it had a mid week late afternoon slot ( which is how I recall it). That doesn't mean to say it didn't get recycled for school hols.

I remember all those mentioned so far, so I'll throw some others into the ring (as well as some saturday morning 70's stuff):-

Play Chess - always on during the hols and always boring as fook.
    Banana Splits - even though it was a slice of late 60's americana I loved this. Who didn't want one of them six wheeled amphibious buggies? Action Man got one.
    California Fever - I didn't really know much about the eastern coast of america but I wanted to go there!
    Champion the Wonder Horse - black and white and obviously ancient!
    Big Blue Marble - didn't really get the message of 'togetherness'.
    Catch Candy - story about a very naughty boy?
    Ghost Hunters - on just before 'World of Sport' I reckon?

I'm sure there's a few others in the memory drawer marked 'things I watched on tv as a kid'...

Somebody's in for a major east coast disappointment. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else remember Whirlybirds about two blokes running a copter firm in the American West?
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Anyone else remember Whirlybirds about two blokes running a copter firm in the American West?
    I was just about to mention that one. What I had forgotten (or never knew) was how old it already was when I saw it in the 70's. All 3 series were made in the late 50's!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    I was just about to mention that one. What I had forgotten (or never knew) was how old it already was when I saw it in the 70's. All 3 series were made in the late 50's!

Champion The Wonder Horse who someone mentioned earlier was made in the mid 50s
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

Yes, I watched it trembling with anticipation but it was a bit of a let down.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    The singing ringing tree was one of the best and most creepy series I saw as a child, absolutely loved it.
  • electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I watched it trembling with anticipation but it was a bit of a let down.

Chuck Martin and PT Moor, yes brings back memories of schooldays:)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was shown during my time in the 80's and 90's. Did they show Wacky Races during that time?
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[URL="Why Don't You - Cardiff - BBC1 - 1985: http://youtu.be/BI14wfWJax8"]why don't you theme[/URL]
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casey Jones
    Skippy
    Daktari
  • treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    murphys mob about a kids football team

and can anyone remember a series about a family that used to run a bed and breakfast in blackpool i think seaside/ seashore somthing ???
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treetree wrote: »
    murphys mob about a kids football team

and can anyone remember a series about a family that used to run a bed and breakfast in blackpool i think seaside/ seashore somthing ???

Seaview and yep, remember it. Had a bit of a crush on Yvette Fielding at the time...1983 it started. (Hasten to add am slightly younger than her.) Liked it at the time.

The Monkees must've been repeated in the holidays in the Seventies? Wasn't born first time around! Loved that show. Still a Monkees fan now, actually.
  • treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats was it seaview ty
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here Come the Double Deckers
    Here Come the Double Deckers was a 17-part British children's TV series from 1970-71 revolving around the adventures of seven children whose den was an old red double-decker London bus in an unused works (junk) yard.