Options

My T2 Diabetes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine was diagnosed with T2 diabetes years ago when he was a teenager. He didn't always take his tablets & ate very badly. He developed kidney disease & had to have dialysis 3 times a week. He went blind in one eye, had a heart attack early last year & had a below knee amputation. Sadly it was all too much for him & he had a fatal heart attack last November, he had only just turned 40.
    I don't mean to scare you but you really need to start taking care of yourself xx
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just an observation. You say steamed veg, but you are pressure cooking them? That isn't steaming.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an observation. You say steamed veg, but you are pressure cooking them? That isn't steaming.
    Hi,

I'm pressure cooking.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try stir frying your veg, it makes veg taste so much better. I dont mean potatoes, but brussel sprouts etc taste out of this world when fried.

Stir frying is fast and tasty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't is steaming, when you have them up on the trivet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try stir frying your veg, it makes veg taste so much better. I dont mean potatoes, but brussel sprouts etc taste out of this world when fried.

Stir frying is fast and tasty.
    Can I use vegetable cooking oil?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    and your evidence?

Here is a recent meta analysis showing increased all cause mortality for those on a low carb diet. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0055030

If you want a stark contrast of the difference between a healthy vegetarian diet and low carb look at the October 2000 issue of the Journal of Vascular diseases. The study (peer reviewed of course) did not start of looking at low carb but many of the subjects (10 out of 29) jumped ship from the vegetarian diet on to low carb. This is not a large sample but the results actually looking at coronary blood flow were startling.

I suggest you also look at the studies (also peer reviewed) on the affect of a very low fat diet on CVD conducted by Dean Ornish. These were not specifically looking at low carb but there aren't many low carb diets that are also low fat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Here is a recent meta analysis showing increased all cause mortality for those on a low carb diet. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0055030

If you want a stark contrast of the difference between a healthy vegetarian diet and low carb look at the October 2000 issue of the Journal of Vascular diseases. The study (peer reviewed of course) did not start of looking at low carb but many of the subjects (10 out of 29) jumped ship from the vegetarian diet on to low carb. This is not a large sample but the results actually looking at coronary blood flow were startling.

I suggest you also look at the studies (also peer reviewed) on the affect of a very low fat diet on CVD conducted by Dean Ornish. These were not specifically looking at low carb but there aren't many low carb diets that are also low fat.

The very first line is one they always get wrong and I stop reading.

Its not a high protein diet. Its a low carb, high fat. With medium protein.

I know the diet is good for me and for many people. I see every day, so many people overjoyed at how much better they feel, how they are no longer in pain and have so much energy. How they no longer have any evidence of T2 diabetes or high blood pressure. How they are now disease free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Can I use vegetable cooking oil?

You can use what oil you like. But there are other oils and fats that are much better for you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The very first line is one they always get wrong and I stop reading.

Yes stop reading because it's something you don't like. Why take hard evidence from peer review when you can go on a quack website and take in anecdotes that fit what you want to hear?

Why are there no peer reviewed studies showing long term health benefits (not indicators) of low carbs? The answer is fairly obvious.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes stop reading because it's something you don't like. Why take hard evidence from peer review when you can go on a quack website and take in anecdotes that fit what you want to hear?

Why are there no peer reviewed studies showing long term health benefits (not indicators) of low carbs? The answer is fairly obvious.

Well said bobcar.

My advice to the OP - don't take advice from strangers on an internet forum! :)
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Im no expert on this but wouldnt that be because the 'low fat/high carb' mantra is the one which has been followed for so many years, since the 70s or so, meaning that any attention to lower carb has only been recent and so studies wont be long term at the moment. Maybe in 10 years or so.

I think I have posted on this thread before but I can only say what is working for us, no bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. We do eat carbs in fruit, other veg, pulses, legumes etc. I have now lost a stone and he has lost 1st 2lbs. (although Im such a cheater because Ive got a terrible cold today so really fancy some mashed potato for lunch!). For me, I find cutting out those foods stops me craving more food. We have replaced the starchy carbs with veg rather than protein.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It might be some time before we see studies looking into low-carb diets in the long-term and their benefits because big industry doesn't profit as much from promoting protein and good fats and vegetables. Low-fat diets, OTOH, are highly profitable, any aisle you might wander down in the supermarket is going to be full of products with 'no-fat' or 'low-fat' claims on them because it sells, it's easy to convince people that fat makes you fat because it sounds so logical. Low-carb diets rely more on fresh ingredients and less processed foods, whereas the low-fat diet market is saturated with advertising and promotion.

I'm not saying everyone who promotes a low-fat diet is trying to make money, just that there is less of an interest in trying to debunk low-fat diets or prove long-term health benefits for low-carb ones.

Eating a balanced diet will work for MOST people, but for those who are obese, sometimes we need to think outside the box and look at other ways to help them. Low-fat might work for some while low-carb will work for others.

BTW, what is the underlying message in the link you posted? Was it that those on a low-carb diet had more incidence of death related to cardio-vascular disease, or that they died younger than those on a low-fat diet?
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Low-carbohydrate diets were associated with a significantly higher risk of all-cause mortality and they were not significantly associated with a risk of CVD mortality and incidence. However, this analysis is based on limited observational studies and large-scale trials on the complex interactions between low-carbohydrate diets and long-term outcomes are needed.

So actually one small study which is only indicative and in any case isn't useful to diabetics because the comparative would need to be between diabetics using low carb and those not. In this case I suspect the "significant" (and I do hope you know what significant means in a scientific experiment) risk of lowcarb would be at least balanced by the larger risk that carbs present to diabetics. And a couple of other equally insignificant studies.

I've looked at this before, there is little significant conclusive evidence of the comparative risks of lowcarb diets for diabetics and increasing evidence as to the benefits.

The only people who want to dismiss evidence which doesn't fit what they want to hear are the lowfat high carb advocates. Using research often paid for by the food industry to promote crap food which makes them money.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be some time before we see studies looking into low-carb diets in the long-term and their benefits because big industry doesn't profit as much from promoting protein and good fats and vegetables. Low-fat diets, OTOH, are highly profitable, any aisle you might wander down in the supermarket is going to be full of products with 'no-fat' or 'low-fat' claims on them because it sells, it's easy to convince people that fat makes you fat because it sounds so logical. Low-carb diets rely more on fresh ingredients and less processed foods, whereas the low-fat diet market is saturated with advertising and promotion.

I'm not saying everyone who promotes a low-fat diet is trying to make money, just that there is less of an interest in trying to debunk low-fat diets or prove long-term health benefits for low-carb ones.

Eating a balanced diet will work for MOST people, but for those who are obese, sometimes we need to think outside the box and look at other ways to help them. Low-fat might work for some while low-carb will work for others.

BTW, what is the underlying message in the link you posted? Was it that those on a low-carb diet had more incidence of death related to cardio-vascular disease, or that they died younger than those on a low-fat diet?

Yes, I totally agree with this, many overweight people just eat a little too much and do too little activity. People that are seriously obese usually have something else going on and they have to find a way to manage their relationship with food, including emotional and physical triggers.

We generally had good home cooked food with the odd bit of 'processed' food like breaded fish or something like that but even we are amazed at how much of the supermarket just isnt relevant to us anymore, whole aisles are off limits.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Once again, I'll point out to you that the American Diabetes Association supports both low-fat, and low-carb diets as being safe effective ways to lose weight and manage blood sugar. They didn't come to those conclusions because of a lack of evidence.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/low_carb_higher_fat_diets_add_no_arterial_health_risks_to_obese_people_seeking_to_lose_weight
    "Our study should help allay the concerns that many people who need to lose weight have about choosing a low-carb diet instead of a low-fat one, and provide re-assurance that both types of diet are effective at weight loss and that a low-carb approach does not seem to pose any immediate risk to vascular health," says Stewart. "More people should be considering a low-carb diet as a good option," he adds.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa055317?query=TOC
    Our findings suggest that diets lower in carbohydrate and higher in protein and fat are not associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease in women. When vegetable sources of fat and protein are chosen, these diets may moderately reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.

http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/crdweb/ShowRecord.asp?LinkFrom=OAI&ID=12013025253#.U6QTYCiLPS8
    This review concluded that individuals assigned to a very-low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet achieved greater long-term reductions in body weight and certain blood cardiovascular risk factors than those assigned to a low fat diet. The conclusions of this well-conducted systematic review are likely to be reliable but the magnitude of the results were of little clinical significance.

I don't believe being dogmatic about a particular way of eating over all others is particularly helpful. However you get there, it's weight loss that is consistently associated with improved health markers. But I'll add that carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, and diabetes a disease where the body's not particularly good at handling boluses of glucose. Therefore it makes perfect sense to point out to a diabetic who is having trouble managing his blood sugar levels that watching his carbohydrate intake might be a good idea, even if it's only until he gets his weight under control.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    So actually one small study which is only indicative and in any case isn't useful to diabetics because the comparative would need to be between diabetics using low carb and those not.

It is one study but there are others showing the same thing, I'm not going to spend my day providing more links. You are quite welcome of course to provide links to peer reviewed studies showing a benefit to mortality and CVD, you can find them showing a short term reduction in cholesterol and blood sugar but that is not the same thing.
    The only people who want to dismiss evidence which doesn't fit what they want to hear are the lowfat high carb advocates. Using research often paid for by the food industry to promote crap food which makes them money.

I don't know anyone who is suggesting the high sugar high fat crap put out by the food industry is anything other than bad, I'm certainly not. What I'm saying and it is supported by the evidence is that a diet based on whole plant foods (so not sugars and refined grains) is beneficial to health. However low carb may not be all bad, what evidence there is (it is scarce) suggests that a low carb plant based diet is positive and may be a good strategy - just get your low carb from pulses and beans rather than meat and dairy. The problem is that most low carbers take low carb to mean eating lots of animal products.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the above is valid I'm sure.

But having lost the weight,---whatever the method, how do I maintain?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is the question, Seacam.

When it comes to diet studies, so much relies on self-reporting. And as with most diet studies (low-fat, low-carb, et al), long-term effects are hard to analyse because participants so often put the weight back on after a year.

Personally, speaking I have spent my life trying to manage type 1 diabetes and the only constant thing is that there are good and bad days, weeks, and months. You just have to accept that it's hard and that you can't be perfect. But you keep going because you want a long life and you want to be there for your love ones. Sounds trite, but it's true.

When my glucose control starts to wane, I keep a journal. I write down my food and my blood sugar numbers and my insulin. There are studies that show that the more food records people kept, the more weight they lost as many people are not aware of what they're eating until they actually start writing it down. Have a goal in mind. How many calories will you aim to eat each day? Plan out your meals if you have to, use a scale, download myfitnesspal, and eventually it should all become second nature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    When my glucose control starts to wane, I keep a journal. I write down my food and my blood sugar numbers and my insulin. There are studies that show that the more food records people kept, the more weight they lost as many people are not aware of what they're eating until they actually start writing it down. Have a goal in mind. How many calories will you aim to eat each day? Plan out your meals if you have to, use a scale, download myfitnesspal, and eventually it should all become second nature.

This is very good advice, it is always much easier to limit your consumption if you know exactly how much you are eating.

I would also suggest exercise which is very beneficial in controlling diabetes. The key is to find exercise you enjoy doing and stick with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! ^^^ Exercise is essential in managing blood sugar.

Just be sure you talk to your doctor, Seacam, whatever changes you make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. I stopped reading as it says high protein so its nothing to do with the diet I eat and am talking about:confused: I dont eat anymore protein than someone on a low fat diet the difference is my meat is never lean.
    Sweden no longer promotes low fat diets, and now recommends a low carb one.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sweden-shifts-national-dietary-guidance-150000641.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once you get to where you want or need to be, you just eat a bit more than you have been doing, and keep your eye on it and cut down right away if it goes up. That way its only a small problem rather than one that is out of control.

My diet is self maintaining. you stop losing once you body is at the weight it wants to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I stopped reading as it says high protein so its nothing to do with the diet I eat and am talking about:confused: I dont eat anymore protein than someone on a low fat diet the difference is my meat is never lean.
    Sweden no longer promotes low fat diets, and now recommends a low carb one.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sweden-shifts-national-dietary-guidance-150000641.html

So yours is a high fat diet, the type associated with an increased risk of causing diabetes.

I notice you can't provide a link to a peer reviewed study showing better all cause mortality from such a diet but instead link to the Atkins quack site. If you examine that site further you will find it full of pseudo science and cherry picked links in a similar method to that chosen by climate change deniers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed an advert for this today, Seacam. It's a type 2 testing program that provides meters, lancets, strips and guidance. Might be something to look into. https://www.type2testing.com/?ref=12&utm_source=dcuk&utm_medium=banners&utm_content=ad300500&utm_campaign=t2t