Solheim Cup 2015

13»

Comments

• kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    footygirl wrote: »
    I don't think so, maybe the American duo should have checked

Pettersen herself completely disagrees with you. Fair play to her for realising she made a mistake, even if technically she was within the rules.
    'I've never felt more gutted and truly sad about what went down Sunday on the 17th at the Solheim Cup,' said Pettersen.

'I am so sorry for not thinking about the bigger picture in the heat of the battle and competition. I was trying my hardest for my team and put the single match and the point that could be earned ahead of sportsmanship and the game of golf itself! I feel like I let my team down and I am sorry.

'To the US team, you guys have a great leader in Juli , who I've always looked up to and respect so much. Knowing I need to make things "right," I had a face to face chat with her before leaving Germany this morning to tell her in person how I really feel about all of this. I wanted her also to know that I am sorry.

'I hope in time the US team will forgive me and know that I have learned a valuable lesson about what is truly important in this great game of golf which has given me so much in my life.

'To the fans of golf who watched the competition on TV, I am sorry for the way I carried myself. I can be so much better and being an ambassador for this great game means a lot to me.

'The Solheim Cup has been a huge part of my career. I wish I could change Sunday for many reasons. Unfortunately I can't.

'This week I want to push forward toward another opportunity to earn the Solheim Cup back for Europe in the right way. And I want to work hard to earn back your belief in me as someone who plays hard, plays fair and plays the great game of golf the right way.'
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen the conceded putt incident, but Europe got it wrong. They shouldn't have walked off if they wanted it holed out. And they should then have had the class that Nicklaus showed to Jacklin all those years ago.

It's just a game.

Poetic justice in the end, I think.

I think the European team should now apologise for the incident unreservedly.

(reading the post after this, apparently she European player has apologised now)

but they didn't just walk off

i have posted twice already there was an interview with the match referee afterwards where he specifically said that he was watching for any sign whatsoever from the europeans to see if the putt had been conceded and there wasn't one

thats from the guy who was right there, knows the rules and whose job it was to officiate the match

i really dont get this , a player screws up, breaks the rules and rather than accept responsibility for her mistake the opponents end up getting attacked for not just letting her off
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    but they didn't just walk off

i have posted twice already there was an interview with the match referee afterwards where he specifically said that he was watching for any sign whatsoever from the europeans to see if the putt had been conceded and there wasn't one

thats from the guy who was right there, knows the rules and whose job it was to officiate the match

i really dont get this , a player screws up, breaks the rules and rather than accept responsibility for her mistake the opponents end up getting attacked for not just letting her off

The ref you keep quoting seems to change his tune a little. I think he is trying to cover for his own part in this. According to many reports ( including Sky Sports ) he had started to call the hole over before the American player bent down to pick her ball up. You can certainly see why they thought it had been conceded
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    The ref you keep quoting seems to change his tune a little. I think he is trying to cover for his own part in this. According to many reports ( including Sky Sports ) he had started to call the hole over before the American player bent down to pick her ball up. You can certainly see why they thought it had been conceded

i can only go by the interview the guy did live on SKY just as the singles were starting