Options

How do you define a Sport?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,938
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sport England are Refusing to Classify Contact Bridge as a Sport because they claim it doesn'y get the nation fitter, so what you class a Sport, would it be Running, ball games such as Tennis & football for example :confused:

But What would you not Class as a Sport but a pastime, as Sports England classes Angling as Sport despite them just sitting for hours which i would of thought it was a Pastime:confused:

Also according to Wikipedia the IOC recognise some Board Games such as Chess as a sport but not in the Olympics, is Chess just pastime/game or a sport which just sounds bizzare

Has the Definition of the term Sport change down the Years or has it just remained the Same do some organistions(sp) like the IOC need look at what is a sport and what is a past time:confused:

What do you class as a sport and what do class as not a sport but a pastime?

Snooker & darts just to start off i do class as a sport, but i do class Tennis, Football & rugby as Sport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34323643

Comments

• Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in the 90's there was a massive debate over whether ballroom dancing was a sport too. This sort of thing comes up from time to time, usually when it matters for funding decisions.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »
    Sport England are Refusing to Classify Contact Bridge as a Sport because they claim it doesn'y get the nation fitter
    Why is target shooting in the Olympics then? :confused:
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For it to be a sport IMO;

You can't do it in ordinary clothes.
    You can't smoke, have a drink or eat while doing it.
    You have to change your shoes.
    You need a shower afterwards.
    It raises your heart rate
    Any equipment used can only be used for that sport

I'll stop now before I inspire an application to Sports England from the competitive lumberjack association........
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For it to be a sport IMO;

You can't do it in ordinary clothes.
    You can't smoke, have a drink or eat while doing it.
    You have to change your shoes.
    You need a shower afterwards.
    It raises your heart rate
    Any equipment used can only be used for that sport

I'll stop now before I inspire an application to Sports England from the competitive lumberjack association........

Erm... dont runners have drinks in long distance running? Drinks are provided during tennis matches (as is food such as bananas),football, rugby etc. By your definition none of these would be 'sports'

I think this comment of the Guardian says it best:

'A broad definition of sport would be as simply something which is competitive and relies on physical skills or abilities. Thus snooker, darts and shooting are sports, Bridge is not.'

Bridge is nothing more than a hobby, pasttime but want to considered a sport purely because of the tax benefits that come with it.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    Erm... dont runners have drinks in long distance running? Drinks are provided during tennis matches (as is food such as bananas),football, rugby etc. By your definition none of these would be 'sports'

I think this comment of the Guardian says it best:

'A broad definition of sport would be as simply something which is competitive and relies on physical skills or abilities. Thus snooker, darts and shooting are sports, Bridge is not.'

Bridge is nothing more than a hobby, pasttime but want to considered a sport purely because of the tax benefits that come with it.

I intended each point to be taken as part of a whole but, seriously, that's your argument? Most athletic races are run at distances way too short to allow for even a quick sip and even though distance runners have drinks nowadays that's not how the sport evolved. As for tennis, I've yet to see Rodger Federer have a banana during a rally. Some goes for actual competeive play and other sports. Meanwhile, there's nowt to stop anyone eating during Bridge or a Chess match for example.

The Guardian comment is a good summary but still leaves open doors. Is competitive video gaming a sport? What about competitive cheerleading? What about musical competitions? Should the show "So, you think you can dance?" actually be on Sky sports instead of Sky 1..........?
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I play chess myself, and it certainly uses up quite a lot of my mental energy to compete in it.

But it is difficult to suggest that it really is a sport.

It certainly is a game that involves using strategy though, so unlike some games which involve luck, chess is a game with random luck and chance has nothing to do with a game being won, lost or drawn.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sport requires a physical effort and expertise
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Sport requires a physical effort and expertise

Like masterbating ?

I don't think you should limit a sport to having to be physical. Or else anything physical could turn into a sport.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe you should look it up once in a while .....

Sport is generally recognised as activities which are based in physical athleticism or physical dexterity, with the largest major competitions such as the Olympic Games admitting only sports meeting this definition,[3] and other organisations such as the Council of Europe using definitions precluding activities without a physical element from classification as sports.[2] However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports, and SportAccord, the international sports federation association, recognises five non-physical sports,[4][5] although limits the number of mind games which can be admitted as sports.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there needs to be an element of co-ordination and exertion required, although I dare say you'd find someone say you need co-ordination to place chess pieces.

I think a way around the drive to categorise everything as a sport is for there to be a fund for socially advantageous pass-times. It's fair to say that it's good for individuals, and society as a whole, when older people stay active and social playing bridge, rather than staying home alone watching daytime tv. It's right that their governing body wishes to seek extra funding and big up the benefits, but it shouldn't need to be rebranded as sport.

As it happens, I'm not keen on shooting from a standing position being treated as a sport, or angling, and racing cars is on very dubious ground. People will say that you need to be fit, but being reasonably fit and healthy will help everyone be the best we can be at non-sporting activities.

On the other hand, when they combine cross country skiing with shooting at the Winter Olympics, that is sport, and a great test of fitness, strength and co-ordination.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In answer to the OP, I simply don't. Who cares if you enjoy watching it or doing it, I suggest you really shouldn't worry about these things.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I think there needs to be an element of co-ordination and exertion required, although I dare say you'd find someone say you need co-ordination to place chess pieces.

Clearly you don't need much co-ordination to make random chess moves.

However to play the game well (just as to play football, rugby, cricket etc well) is difficult.

If we were to reduce everything to its simplest level, I doubt anything would be classed as a sport, football is just kicking a ball around, tennis is hitting the ball backwards and forwards, golf is using a big stick to get a ball in a hole, motor racing is just driving a car.

You don't need much co-ordination to kick a football into a goal as well.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to include an element of co-ordination, otherwise it would just be strength events that count. I'd say the more strength and activity required, the less co-ordination and vice versa, but I do agree it's about everything in its entirety. For example, to play golf (well) you need a certain amount of physical strength, but it's mainly about co-ordination. I think snooker and darts are very limited in terms of strength, but you need co-ordination. However, I think they are the sorts of sports that Bridge can use for reference when anyone talks about activity.

Clearly, everyone needs a certain amount of strength and co-ordination to get out of bed in the morning, which is why I made the point about some people claiming it for any hobby, with chess as an example.
    In answer to the OP, I simply don't. Who cares if you enjoy watching it or doing it, I suggest you really shouldn't worry about these things.

The point is there is a lot of funding available if you can define your pass-time as a sport. Bridge are openly admitting they want access to this funding, which is why they want to be defined as a sport, and are explaining its benefits to society. That's why I think there should be a separate fund for 'beneficial pass-times', and Bridge could claim from that to support the good work they do.

I think the caveat of 'getting you fit' or generally being good for you, could be applied to funding from the Sports Council. Even if shooting from a standing position, or darts are officially a sport, I fail to see how it would deserve funding on the grounds of getting the nation fitter.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that you can participate in with everyday shoes isn't a sport as far as I'm concerned. That's snooker, darts and table tennis out for me. To me they're parlour games.
  • Options
    nesparoonesparoo Posts: 1,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sport is any activity wherein

1. the movement of the participant(s) is itself an essential element and can't, eg, be performed by agent(s); and

2. results in a decision - ie, a win, loss, or draw - determined entirely by the event itself.

Contract bridge, chess, recreational fishing, WWE, or any form of attempt at record-setting are therefore not sport; football, motor racing, darts and tiddlywinks patently are.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    by Vampirek. I think this comment of the Guardian says it best:

Sounds about right.
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Like masterbating ?

It's a hobby.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    nesparoo wrote: »
    Sport is any activity wherein

1. the movement of the participant(s) is itself an essential element and can't, eg, be performed by agent(s); and

2. results in a decision - ie, a win, loss, or draw - determined entirely by the event itself.

Contract bridge, chess, recreational fishing, WWE, or any form of attempt at record-setting are therefore not sport; football, motor racing, darts and tiddlywinks patently are.

Where do you get this definition from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Does it chime? :)

It's my own - or at least I've never seen it in this precise form anywhere else.

I've been involved with several sports over the years and eventually boiled them down to this smallest set of conditions that, for me, might serve as a definition of sport in general.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nesparoo wrote: »
    Why? Does it chime? :)

It's my own - or at least I've never seen it in this precise form anywhere else.

I've been involved with several sports over the years and eventually boiled them down to this smallest set of conditions that, for me, might serve as a definition of sport in general.

Oh right, it looked like an official definition rather than a made up one.

I'll make up my own one that's totally opposite to yours shall I?
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Sport is a physically active contest between two or more individuals or teams, played to an agreed set of rules for the purpose of achieving a fair result.

I think that activities such as archery and shooting qualify - at least according to organisations such as the IOC - because they involve the use of equipment with steadiness, balance and hand-to-eye coordination. Also, they have had a military application and for some reason that seems to count for a lot.

Biathlon is a winter sport which combines cross country skiing with rifle shooting.... the very skills needed for arctic warfare, and Modern Pentathlon is a multi sport discipline based entirely around military requirements: A soldier traditionally went into battle on horseback, on foot or in the water (riding, running, swimming) and used a pistol or a sword (shooting, fencing) to fight with. A tradition of military combat carries a lot of weight when consideration is made for inclusion in sporting tournaments. Another example: javelin throwing is included as an Olympic sport whereas Darts isn't although some argue that Darts would satisfy the definition I gave at the head of this post.

Those who enjoy card games such as Contract Bridge are going to try to make a case for their game. That's not surprising. But the same case could be made for Snap, Cribbage or Pontoon.

Those people can enjoy their game and good luck to them, but I think they should put any pipe dreams they may have of getting an Olympic gold hung around their necks aside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, it looked like an official definition rather than a made up one.

I'll make up my own one that's totally opposite to yours shall I?

Entirely up to you - the trick is making it look official.

Like I did, apparently.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't raise a sweat doing it, it ain't a sport, it's a "pastime."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you can't raise a sweat doing it, it ain't a sport, it's a "pastime."

So no archery then?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no archery then?

Talk to an archer.
    They'll tell that some of those powerful bows take some "pulling."
    Have a go yourself and see how sweaty you'll get in half an hour firing off a lot of arrows.
    I might have to make an exception for rifle and small arms. But there will be few exceptions other than that. Certainly not bridge, that was all about trying to get some funding. Probably might have had a chance with "Snap!" as that might need a bit more exertion.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Anything that you can participate in with everyday shoes isn't a sport as far as I'm concerned. That's snooker, darts and table tennis out for me. To me they're parlour games.

According to the IOC, darts is a sport as it has been recognised/classified by them as being one. The same with snooker and other cue sports.

Table tennis is in the Olympics.