Dates for Class

TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do we have dates as of yet for the Doctor Who spin-off Class' episodes to air? I can't seen to find any.

It is August. In order to show the episodes one a week before the end of the year (without running right up to The Christmas Special), they will need to start airing them in September or October. I would have expected dates to be set long before now. Why has no announcement been made? Do they usually wait until this close before the start of a new show in order to advertise/announce dates?

Comments

• sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With it being on BBC three (or II! or whatever...) maybe they will make the whole series available at once. No "transmission" dates as such.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three novels are due out on October 27th, so I'd expect it to start around the middle or end of September.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is only on bbc3 then it will completely pass me by. The bbc need to do this property and put in on bbc1 or it will turn out to be one big white elephant.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is only on bbc3 then it will completely pass me by. The bbc need to do this property and put in on bbc1 or it will turn out to be one big white elephant.

It's not going to be only on BBC Three. The BBC have given a commitment to show programmes like Class on either BBC One or BBC Two.
  • Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one time i'd have thought september - the BBC liked putting school based dramas on to coincide with the start of term but that seems a bit unlikely now
  • Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still say BBC 4 should've been axed instead of BBC Three, or Alba with its like what 12 viewers lol?
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still say BBC 4 should've been axed instead of BBC Three, or Alba with its like what 12 viewers lol?

BBC4 is a vital part of the mission statement of the BBC. "To inform, educate and entertain." To have axed it wouldn't have looked good. There are some great documentaries on there sometimes.

When you consider that BBC3 was showing stuff like "Snog Marry Avoid", I think they made the right choice. It's not axed anyway, it's just moved online.
  • StarsabovemeStarsaboveme Posts: 72
    Forum Member

The whole intention of the show is to be the flagship that leads BBC3 online. The audience it's aimed at (the 16-30 demographic) do almost all their watching online these days anyway. The BBC are not just pushing this out willy nilly, they know what they want it to achieve. Besides which, they've said that it will air on BBC1 after BBC3 in any case.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Public service broadcasting - they're obliged to do it. Besides, not exactly the most expensive part of the business.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,324
    Forum Member
    The whole intention of the show is to be the flagship that leads BBC3 online. The audience it's aimed at (the 16-30 demographic) do almost all their watching online these days anyway. The BBC are not just pushing this out willy nilly, they know what they want it to achieve. Besides which, they've said that it will air on BBC1 after BBC3 in any case.
    BBC three already is online only. Has been for some months now.
    Forum Member
    BBC three already is online only. Has been for some months now.

Yes I know that. What I meant was that Class will be the first major drama series filmed for BBC3 since it went online - the message it is putting out says, look, we may be online now but we are still doing the same level of new drama just like we used to do.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    October.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Where would all the European dramas go if BBC4 was axed??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    October.

22nd.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I miss BBC Three, but BBC Four is a thing to be cherished. The programmes it shows simply wouldn't get made if it was axed. A programme about the history of the spinning wheel (for e.g.) might not get many viewers, but I'm sooooo glad that programmes like that get made.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    22nd.

First two episodes
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    First two episodes are titled For Tonight We Might Die, and The Coach With the Dragon Tattoo :)
    Forum Member
    First two episodes are titled For Tonight We Might Die, and The Coach With the Dragon Tattoo :)

Given what we know of the first episode, i'm envisioning a possible reason for that title.

Two students see The Doctor coming around the corner.

One, having heard of the Doctor's reputation for bringing death in his wake, say's 'oh, no'.

'What?' says the other.

'Tonight we might die' the first replies.

:D

P.s As for the second title, that instantly smacks of trying to hard to be trendy, and if it is anything to go by, suggests that the show as a whole, as I had expected, may also be like that (corny and embarrassing).
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Ness won't let us down. The guy is brilliant! and never one to shy away from anything hard-hitting, which is always a bonus. :)

Capaldi in the first episode!! The first time he'll have been onscreen in 10 months! o.o
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like that first one, actually. Nice change of pace from the generic "Curry Night of the Daleks" or "The Magikarp Invasion" sort of titles we usually get.

Any more info? I had too much on my plate to watch the live stream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick Ness

The most vastly underrated factor in this entire endeavor since the the moment Class was announced.
    Forum Member
    The most vastly underrated factor in this entire endeavor since the the moment Class was announced.
    If your not familiar with him or his work (which I am not), you can only go on what is being said and announced about the show, which doesn't look great so far.

The proof will be in the content. You yourself could be a fan of some of his other works and find yourself hating it for example. Reputation doesn't always guarantee a hit.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that I hadn't heard about this until recently.

So far, my first impression is "the Sarah Jane Adventures" but without Sarah Jane.

Time will tell.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »

So far, my first impression is "the Sarah Jane Adventures" but without Sarah Jane.

Time will tell.

I fear that time will decide it will rise without trace. It's not trading on a cool brand, like the Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood were at the time.
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »

Time will tell.

You haven't seen the teaser or the trailer, then? Sarah Jane Adventures it is not!