Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Comments

• CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can also like a song but know it is rubbish, such as 'Star Trekking'.

Or you can understand it's a novelty song and not supposed to be treated with any musical reverence.
    So you don't think that a show can go down in quality because there is a difference of opinion?

Every show that has ever been considered rubbish, has had 100% agreement amongst the viewers?

No idea what point you're trying to make here as whether a show is "going down in quality" is utterly subjective so there will always be a difference of opinion. That's rather the whole point of the argument other people have been making on this issue.

Shows don't tend to go "down in quality" because of a difference of opinion of those watching them, they usually decline in quality because they lose their creator, their lead actors, their writing team, their director or show runner etc.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Shows don't tend to go "down in quality" because of a difference of opinion of those watching them, they usually decline in quality because they lose their creator, their lead actors, their writing team, their director or show runner etc.

Shows tend to go down in quality because the viewers let them go down by allowing poor quality writing and in Glee's case, song choices, by giving them good viewing figures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shows tend to go down in quality because the viewers let them go down by allowing poor quality writing and in Glee's case, song choices, by giving them good viewing figures.

Sorry but that makes absolutely no sense. Viewers have zero control over what occurs with the "quality" of a television show or over whether they get recommissioned or not.
    Advertising revenue (for shows on commercial channels) and potential overseas resale earnings, DVD sales, merchandise tie ins etc, are what influence TV executives to commission and recommission.

Your argument definitely makes no sense in regards to Glee whose viewing figures have, along with most other US TV shows, been declining over the past four years due to "on demand" viewing and the potential to record shows as they go out live and watch them later and yet which has just received the backing of its home channel with a two year renewal deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In terms of 'quality', isn't that an opinion? I for one enjoy glee much more at the minute than I used to :)

Most people say season 1 was glee at its peak, I personally preferred season 2. It's all down to opinion ; take the song choices as an example...there have been some epic covers such as against all odds and heroes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the whole "quality" thing is always going to be subjective but I think there are areas where "like for like" comparisons can be easily drawn.
    Take for example this years Regionals set list for the ND. I personally think it's quite horrible and doesn't compare very favourably to many of their other Regionals sets. Theres a huge focus on modern music and the covers in the episode are pretty much all straight covers of the originals which I don't like. The covers on their own are okay and one or two have been alright to listen to in the run up to the episode but none of them seem particularly inspring or great in terms of the show and what they can do.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    huggzy wrote: »
    Take for example this years Regionals set list for the ND. I personally think it's quite horrible and doesn't compare very favourably to many of their other Regionals sets. Theres a huge focus on modern music and the covers in the episode are pretty much all straight covers of the originals which I don't like. The covers on their own are okay and one or two have been alright to listen to in the run up to the episode but none of them seem particularly inspring or great in terms of the show and what they can do.

I think what's going on here is more Glee product placement, musical rather than visual (iPhones) or within the script (Gap etc). This roster of songs is there to promote the original artists - we'll see the originals moving [back] up the iTunes charts as well as the Glee covers, giving the likes of Little Mix a leg up in their efforts to break in to the US charts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what's going on here is more Glee product placement, musical rather than visual (iPhones) or within the script (Gap etc). This roster of songs is there to promote the original artists - we'll see the originals moving [back] up the iTunes charts as well as the Glee covers, giving the likes of Little Mix a leg up in their efforts to break in to the US charts.

OMG you're joking, they're using a Little Mix song for the Regionals, the last episode of the series?

And people wonder why I think the quality has gone down. :rolleyes:
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    OMG you're joking, they're using a Little Mix song for the Regionals, the last episode of the series?

And people wonder why I think the quality has gone down. :rolleyes:

The likes of Little Mix. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The likes of Little Mix. :D

Oh I get you. So not actually Little Mix? :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huggzy wrote: »
    Obviously the whole "quality" thing is always going to be subjective but I think there are areas where "like for like" comparisons can be easily drawn.

But how many of Glee's fanbase at the time the show started would have not only heard of Journey but have thought that Don't Stop Believing was a "classic", very little other than those of my generation who remember it when it came out in the 1970s I suspect. Glee's cover of it not only brought the song and the band back into public conciousness, it sparked a revival in the original soft rock genre of the 1970s. That has always been the beauty of what Glee does with certain types of music - revives them and brings them to a new generation.
    You only have to read The Glee Forum when they announced the Stevie Wonder tribute episode to see how many people had not only never really heard of him but didn't know his music or might have only known one or two songs or known the song but not known it was sung by Stevie Wonder.
    They've always done a great job of mixing classics from over the decades with current pop chart songs right from Series One and I don't see how that's any different in the current season.
  • tpau21tpau21 Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a dissappointing episode and a series finale that was. Such a random episode for it to be a finale.

The wings cover was good and loved I Love it, but Rachel's opening number was the highlight of the show.

I really wish we would see mroe of Rachel, Kurt and Santana in New York or Rachel coming back to Mckinley more often.
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really disappointed in that finale. It seems the show has too many characters and storylines to give any of them justice. The Klaine plot was just disappointing, Kurt looks completely uninterested and Blaine looks head over heels but they didn't actually have a conversation, yet Blaine feels they're in a good enough place to marry? I also think this episode suffered from a lack of Rachel tbh, I'd have liked the ending to be the phone call. Brittany was just irritating, but I'm not sorry she's leaving at all I find she takes up too much screentime. Glad the catfish storyline has come to an end and I'm glad it was Unique, it could be interesting to look into next season providing its done properly. I really don't like Marley, she's written as too perfect, probably so viewers would warm to a new female lead. Felt the Wemma wedding was a bit pointless, why shove it in in a few minutes at the end of the finale? Why not wait until next season when there were still a lot of storylines that needed to be concluded this season?

The only line that made me laugh was, "Oh no, we're just friends but he wants to do me" hahaha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tpau21 wrote: »
    What a dissappointing episode and a series finale that was. Such a random episode for it to be a finale.

It was a poor way to write Heather out just because she is pregnant, you could see her bump.

They are still flogging the Blaine getting married angle. Not sure if it was a pro gay marriage message, but it is just so wrong, not because it is about gay marriage but because it is so out from left field that Blaine would suddenly want to marry Kurt.

Good to see Meredith Baxter-Birney playing an aging lesbian.
    And Good to see Joe and Sugar back.

Catfish story ended predictably. Shame Ryder can't really act.

And they DID have a Little Mix song. :mad:

The Girls singing 'I crashed my car into a bridge' to Artie, just seemed wrong. :eek:
    Nice set list from ND. The girls looked lovely in their dresses.

The wedding felt a little tagged on. But at least it is out of the way now and they have had a wedding episode already.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst finale ever. The thing is, I just really didn't care about anything going on (apart from Racheal who was severely under-used)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a season finale it was all over the place, which is quite fitting as the whole season has been like that. It's had no focus, and they can't seem to make up their minds what plots are worth running with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thing is, I kind of think Emma's a bit selfish. I know she couldn't deal with a big wedding, but all Schu wanted (and we knew this from the start) was the original Glee kids to come back for the wedding. Emma was being sweet and surprising, it was just a shame that they weren't there - I know Finn probably would have been if Cory hadn't had his private problems...

I loved Jan and Elizabeth, random or not they were so sweet.
    Rachel's audition was amazing.
    I honestly thought Britt was going to say she was pregnant...
    The dresses at regionals were so pretty! :p
    Also, that was not a cliffhanger - I thought we were promised a cliffhanger! It wasn't a "bad" end to the season, it just didn't feel like an end. S1 - Quinn handing the baby over after regionals, S2 Rachel and Finn getting together for the last Glee club rehearsal of the year, S3 Rachel going off to New York with the *amazing* Roots Before Branches. S4? Wedding in the choir room, and Blaine holding the ring box. If Blaine had suddenly got down on one knee and we'd had Kurt's shocked face, that might have been a slightly better ending...
  • Hells_ChickenHells_Chicken Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I liked the episode, actually. I liked the songs, I liked the fact that they got married in the end. I even liked Brittany's melt down, even though her (IRL) bump was showing.

The only thing that I didn't like were the boys cardigans during regionals. They looked like school Uniforms.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode actually, I loved the regionals performances, thought the Blaine thing was a little randon and the MIT thing was just way OTT, it was a poor way to write Heather out, I hope this isn't the last we see of Brittany.
    So is the school year going to continue on into the next season? Because the sectionals-regionals-nationals are usually all in one school year right?
    I guess it's a good way of keeping a lot of the main cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    One thing about the song choices, at this point in time Glee has done almost 600 songs on the show, there is no way that everybody is going to love every single song that has ever been performed or that every song chosen is brilliant. Music is something that is personal to individual people and just because you havent liked some of the songs doesnt mean that others feel the same way.

Nearly 600 songs, and I quite honestly say, there is probably only handful that I hate, another handful that I prefer watching as part of the episode and then another handful I can listen to every so often, the rest, the majority I love. Such a variety of genres and therefore it will not please everyone.

I can honestly say Glee is the reason I am now a huge fan of Fun. And yes, I have really enjoyed this season and cannot wait for season 5.
  • Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That finale has to be one of the worst episodes they've ever done (Grilled Cheesus and Sexy also come to mind).

There were far too many things wrong with the episode (well, there were six):

1) What was the point in seeing 2 songs by the rival Glee club? Just a waste of time.

2) The catfish plot reveal was predictable and dull.

3) Brittany's plot was just stupid. An uninventive way to write her out.

4) Blaine wanting to propose to Kurt even though Kurt stated they weren't in a relationship? Seems like an attempt by the writers to get the Twitter fans back on side after splitting up Brittany and Santana.

5) The wedding being stuck on the end was pointless. Why not switch back to New York for Rachel getting the phonecall? For the first time, Glee has ended halfway through the school year. They could have ended on a cliffhanger which the next season could then pick up from straight away. Instead, we're left with a wedding which seemed to come out of nowhere.

6) Ryder leaving Glee Club. Does that mean his character will just disappear without any sort of mention? I think he held together what was a lackluster season to be honest. Hopefully, the Regionals win will have convinced him to stay.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Well that was one of my favourite episodes ever (along with the first Britney episode, The Break-Up, Last years Nationals and the character switch episode). I teared up about 3 times. The only thing I didn't like was Sam's hair (please trim it Chord).

I SHIP UNIQUE AND RYDER SO HARD NOW. I am glad Ryder left the Glee Club because as a character I don't think he would have joined so easily anyway and I hope Unique gets a bit bullied next season (I don't know how to put it nicely) but it's not realistic for a trans character to basically be accepted by kids but Unique and Ryder's love story is so adorable, it really is revolutionary. Their hug was everything.

I hope Rachel didn't get the part of Fanny because that's her dream and it's come too easily. I hope Brittany will occasionally skype with Santana/Sam but her exit storyline was so ridiculous it was brilliant, her leaving speech was so sad.

I think more effort could have been put into the songs and changing them to sound more glee-clubish but I'm glad ND won, they were better although the female dancer in the Hoosierdaddies was amazing.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Oh and if Sugar is in Season 5, she NEEDS to be upgraded to regular, screw the new show that she's meant to be in :D.

If she can't sing or dance, she should learn how to rap, it'd be so cool and it'd be rebelious for rich princess to try and be a hip-hop artist.

Now that Brittany has gone, Sugar for sure needs to be the comic relief.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart1000 wrote: »

1) What was the point in seeing 2 songs by the rival Glee club? Just a waste of time.

You mean like the two songs the warblers have always had? That's normal for glee.

I thought it was okay, but it was no big deal of an episode. It wasn't a finale. As someone pointed out, all the others have had big events in them. This one had a maybe proposal, a maybe role in a musical, a wedding that really should have happened at least months ago, maybe even last season, and then regionals. And if that's 'a few cliffhangers' then I'm actually Ryder's Catfish.
    Unique was predictable, and I personally think Ryder's being a big old baby about it now. I get that it must be horrible, but leaving glee because of one person's actions? And especially when Unique wasn't trying to hurt him.
    The performances from ND, imo, were awful! Sugar didn't look like she knew the choreography at all, especially in I Love It, where nobody really seemed to know where they were tbh
    I'm sad about Brittany leaving, and I thought her speech was sad. People are saying it was OTT, but think back to the entire episode of Goodbye where the seniors all got to do the exact same thing, why shouldn't Britt get one? She deserves her goodbye. And considering they haven't given Heather any sort of contract so far, it could be goodbye for a while.
    Really annoyed at the lack of Rachel, Puck and even Quinn. I get that Rachel probably would have been in it more if it wasn't for Cory, so it is understandable. But Puck really should have been at regionals for Jake, considering he was at sectionals. And I understand that Dianna is busy but it would be nice if she'd been there for Britt's goodbye and Wemma's second wedding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double Post :l
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she can't sing or dance, she should learn how to rap, it'd be so cool and it'd be rebelious for rich princess to try and be a hip-hop artist.
    Now that Brittany has gone, Sugar for sure needs to be the comic relief.

I love this. I love this. I love this. Please become a writer on Glee. This absolutely HAS to happen. It's SO perfect. She can try to be like a "Cher Lloyd" type with the baggy trousers and big hair. She can even sing "Swagger Jagger". It's Fox promoting an X Factor act. It's perfect and I want it....
    ==================
    Rachel's performance was great but I felt it really could have benefitted from a bit of a warm up scene before hand. Maybe her reflecting on when she choked for NYADA and how she knows in her heart that shes grown since then and that she can do this. Maybe something about why she chose the song given that we know Lea loved it so much to want to perform it. I really wish she'd sing live more because it really worked for Blaine's performances this year.

I don't like Brittany as a character and I don't think she's very funny so I could leave her stuff. I loved the reference to "My Cup" (just like the gum on the credit card). Michael Bolton is a disappointing conclusion to "celebrity father of Sue's baby which nobody remembers exists". It's also very, very apt that Brittanys future is a joke. I do like the self-belief part but shes still a moron, if not a super-sweet one in her goodbyes. Her goodbye actually really got to me but I can't tell if its just the subject matter which touches my heart or if I'm just an emotional dork lol I guess I will miss her.

Once again Glee doesn't bother with the subtlety and straight up mocks the fact that Joe and Sugar haven't been around. The episode suffered from a serious focus on McKinley and wrapping up storylines that people probably aren't all that invested in. The Ryder stuff is so yawn and it's once again ridiculous that Mr. Schue didn't intervene when Ryder looked like he was about to freak the hell out in the middle of the circle.

I like Blaine and adore Kurt but the "heres what its like to be an elderly gay lesbian" stuff is quite boring too. It once again seemed incredibly too "issue of the day". I will admit the whole "you do want to do me" thing was funny though. The idea of showing off a more mature gay couple was nice enough but the whole thing just felt like a ridiculous sort of "throw in as many gay references at once" thing. I didn't like it.

It's nice to know we were all correct about Unique. Obvious but it was actually very sweet and could lead to some really interesting stuff in the future. It does seem like Ryder is a long, long way off any kind of thing in that direction. That assumes he even actually comes back. I really like Unique and it would be really great for her to get more of a focus. It might make me actually like the McKinley stuff because it would be so different.

I spend the whole of the Hoosierdaddies thinking "hmm...that should be Rachel" but fair enough give the girl from American Idol a cameo to keep her sweet Fox. She has quite a nice voice. I wonder if their Glee club hates the fact that only she sang. Gives me an interesting idea if they ever showed us what the other Glee clubs get up to and their dramas. They did a very good job dividing the solos this year though (like Blaine not getting one in Hall of Fame because he got one with AoN).

I love Sugar's performances. Shes always SO funny in them.
    The girls performance was a bit of a mess vocally. That effect was horrible and I agree about the Artie "crashed into the bridge" bit was a LITTLE insensitive. I'm also glad they played on the awkwardness of Ryder and Unique a couple of times because I was very specifically looking out for that (especially after Kitty's reaction in "Some Nights").

I don't think a single person watching Glee thought their was any threat of Ryder and Brit not showing up. Not a single person and their win is of no real surprise or threat either.

I think the whole episode sums up the fact that Glee has gone "meta" and just wants to make fun of itself now from the choir room scene to Santana mocking Britanny 3.0 to "Wemma". It was an okay episode though. Although that might just be nostaligia...I'm not a fan of that.

I'm also a little disappointed given how much they ramped up "ooo there are going to be cliffhangers!!"...not so much.

Ah well, all done for another season. I know I'll be coming back for more so I hope lots of you lot will be too!
This discussion has been closed.