Man Of Steel my views and hopes

13»

Comments

• Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Wow this has turned in to a really deep thread. keep it going guys. some great posts coming
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now for me Superman Returns was the perfect Superman Film.

Not for me!

Brandon Routh played Superman very well

Yes, I was fine with him.
    The only down side for me in that movie was Louis Lane

Yes, I thought she was poor. Not feisty enough. Erica Durance from Smallville makes a better Lois. Amy Adams in Man of Steel looks like she might be OK, but we'll see.
    And it sunked even further when they announced who was making it. I hate Batman full stop and was dreading this new film.

Heresy! :)
    It got worse when the famous Superman Theme was being scrapped

A pity, but time to move on I guess.
    So how much does it need to take for it to be classed as a hit?
    Man of Steel cost almost less then half to make so maybe the box office figures shouldn't be set to high?

Wrong I think Man of Steel will need to take at least 800 million in order for it to be classed as hit

That figure sounds about right. It needs to be comparable to the Spider-Man and Batman movies.
    If Man of steel fails then there wont be another superman film ever again.

I don't know about that, but there would certainly be a long wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superman has always been my fave superhero , and like most people I think the first 2 movies are great.

Yes, 2 is my favourite I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks a bit deep, this new one. I imagine there will be many scenes of Superman brooding.

I'm hoping it doesn't have too much of this. Some is OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warner tried a Wonder Woman TV show with Joss Wheedon, the project never got off the ground and he went to Marvel.

Bet Warner must have cursed given what Whedon did next. :)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watchmen is published by DC and is a critically acclaimed graphic novel. It is not even remotely indie...

The percentage is low, but it is more common than you'd think. Batman however doesn't really, he spends most of his time punching people...
    I didn't really mean Indie as in independantly published, but Indie as in having an Indie vibe. A comic deliberately written to subvert the typical "Four colour Heroes" stereotypes .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Bet Warner must have cursed given what Whedon did next. :)

I'm sure they were disappointed, but imo Avengers sucked, and was somewhat frustrating because it was so close to being a good film, but the dialogue killed it...

I remain optimistic about Snyder though. I do agree with what somebody earlier on said about Nolan being likely to receive the credit for anything good and Snyder taking the flack for anything bad, even though directors are normally more involved than producers...
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    I'll be going into the cinema with an open mind, and fortunately for Zack Snyder, I've not yet seen a Superman film I've enjoyed.

I kind of agree that with all the hype Warner Bros will be expecting it to do well at the box office, but then again Batman Begins only grossed $375m off a $150m budget and was considered a success. Perhaps the critical acclaim helped. I reckon MoS will pull around $500m-$600m.

This film will shatter $1b no probs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they were disappointed, but imo Avengers sucked, and was somewhat frustrating because it was so close to being a good film, but the dialogue killed it...

The dialogue was the best thing in it for me. It is a Whedon trademark and he the only person who could do it for me. It was very rapid fire but worked perfectly and most importantly Thor still felt like Thor, Cap'n still felt like Cap'n etc etc.

It pains to say but I thought the dialogue was handled far better in Avengers than in TDKR (even though I feel TDKR is the better film).
    Forum Member
    The dialogue was the best thing in it for me. It is a Whedon trademark and he the only person who could do it for me. It was very rapid fire but worked perfectly and most importantly Thor still felt like Thor, Cap'n still felt like Cap'n etc etc.

It pains to say but I thought the dialogue was handled far better in Avengers than in TDKR (even though I feel TDKR is the better film).

I disagree, the rapid fire "jokes" in Avengers became tedious to me, especially since only about 2 of them were actually funny. And the only superhero that I didn't want to punch was the Hulk, because he was only character that showed any kind of development within the context of the film itself (I haven't seen any of the previous films in the Universe).

Having already been subjected to demigods and Captain America (the arrogance behind creating a national superhero is unreal - I do have the same problem with Capt. Britain, though he was created by two Americans so it's not quite the same display of arrogance) , I felt "aliens from another dimension" was a step too far. Thought I understand that's probably just me.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

agree 100%

"i have an army.....we have a hulk"
    Forum Member
    I rewatched Avengers last night, it was better than I gave it credit for, but there are still a few bits and bobs that made no sense to me...

And I'm still opposed to "demigods from space". Sorry, Thor, you're just too ridiculous...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay first thinvs first, I havent really been a massive Superman fan...for me it is all about Batman...since i was a kid till today i just am infatuated with the Batman universe...the darkness, gothic nature in the comics, in the television series, across the majority of films (Nolans TDK trilogy is my favourite film series ever and i adore what Burton did in his two films) live action and animated (Mask Of The Phantasm, Subzero, Return Of The Joker, Under The Red Hood are a few of the greatest films ever) BUT having said that when i saw the Justice League Animated series Superman did pull me in in that he himself did have dark storylines (i always felt he was too "American sweetheart" and light all the time for me) too...

Which leads me to this...produced by Nolan, made by Zack Snyder...this looks really true to character and hopefully will bring new fans on board....what with the colossal success of Batman over the past decade...i really hope this is the start of something.

Now i have yet to see the show Arrow but by its success thus far i really think this is going to showcase DC at a definite new peak...and hopefully we will see a Justice League film developed soon....Also i truly hope that a Wonder Woman film is produced in the near future....I love her comics too and her back story and feel we need a female superhero in the mainstream right now. Its just a matter of finding that actress that has that character drive in her to really be Wonder Woman....ditch that campy look/persona of the 70s show and really be the tough Amazon Queen :cool: So many areas they could cover...

Anyways thats my hope after The Man Of Steel...Wonder WOman needs a launch in contemporary cinema :) and then yes all for The Flash onwards :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and as for the Avengers...while Dark Knight RIses is the superior film....i do love what Whedon did...as he proved on Buffy, Angel, Firefly he can handle a team of strong, independant characters and create an intimate feel between them but also display massive apocalyptic action alongside and work it with snappy dialogue and his trademark humour...sure it was not a perfect film...but it deserved its success and eprsonally...there is no one who could do it better than Whedon.

Which guts me that DC lost out on him really as he would be perfect for handling Wonder Woman and/or indeed Justice League.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me - looking forward to the obvious action sequences etc,
    But I'm also looking forward to watching Michael Shannon's performance of Zod. One of my favourite actors :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me - looking forward to the obvious action sequences etc,
    But I'm also looking forward to watching Michael Shannon's performance of Zod. One of my favourite actors :)

check him out in the film "the runaways"
  • Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well just got back from watching the man of steel.

And I have to say for me a old school fan I didn't like it.

To much action and the way the movie shifts about between young clark etc etc is confusing. It had no magic it was all about the action which for the modern day Superman is fine but for me CR is and will always be Superman. Superman Returns might have been slammed but at least it felt like superman and kept its dna. However the film does set up a sequel nice.

Now I like Henry as superman and General Zod is played very well and you kind of feel sorry for him in a way. I like the Amy Adams casting she plays a very good Louis lane. Perry white a big no no,he had no edge to him just came across like a big father figure.

For me the film tried to hard to win over new fans and as far as I am concerned it has took Superman and its main characters and dumped them in a different world. Yes it is very real and it is good to see Superman struggle with who he is and his powers but that takes away some of his Super???

I was expecting a lot more and sadly I didn't feel it,i would watch Superman Returns over this any day but that's just because I am an old school fan