SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bye Sam.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you have to have due process in things like this, so he should certainly be allowed to state the case for his defence but he's on camera saying it so I can't really see what there is to defend.

He'd probably have tried to claim it was "banter" if he hadn't also negotiated this £400k deal as well.

If he's "found guilty" then there's no way he can survive.

The thing is, what can be done if they don't sack him ?. FIFA aren't likely to step in and overrule the FA, so if Allardyce issues the pre-requisite "grovelling apology" that the FA then accept, that'll very likely be the end of it.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing he said was wrong, so what is the problem?.

He is perfectly within his rights to advise others on how rules can be subverted, as can any in their chosen profession.
  • Options
    ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course he should get sacked for saying 'Rooney can play anywhere he wants'.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Nothing he said was wrong, so what is the problem?.

He is perfectly within his rights to advise others on how rules can be subverted, as can any in their chosen profession.

All true and I'm guessing he won't be sacked. Nothing illegal here but morally he comes across as foolish, naive and greedy.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume he'll make a public apology like Jimmy Carr, Gary Barlow and whoever else it was in those shady tax schemes and then crack on with his latest standup tour and album.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    I know you have to have due process in things like this, so he should certainly be allowed to state the case for his defence but he's on camera saying it so I can't really see what there is to defend.

He'd probably have tried to claim it was "banter" if he hadn't also negotiated this £400k deal as well.

The thing is, what can be done if they don't sack him ?. FIFA aren't likely to step in and overrule the FA, so if Allardyce issues the pre-requisite "grovelling apology" that the FA then accept, that'll very likely be the end of it.

The £400k was for making keynote speeches in the Far East, then he went on to to say, he would have to clear it with the FA first.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has to go

he is selling methods of bypassing the rules of the FA and UEFA on transfers, 3rd party ownership of players.

crooked as they get
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The press will just be over him at every given chance. Further it depends on the scale of the rest of things The Telegraph have uncovered. The FA could be undermined if they don't take action and Sam is the biggest example they could hit.

Moreover whilst FIFA wont do anything, Ill have no doubt the government will be calling the FA for questioning if Sam is proven to be guilty and isnt sacked.

Suddenly though Steve Bruce looks to be back in work very quickly.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    He has to go

he is selling methods of bypassing the rules of the FA and UEFA on transfers, 3rd party ownership of players.

crooked as they get

I could have guessed what you would write before I read it.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    He has to go

crooked as they get

Selling?
    He seemed to give that obvious method for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could have guessed what you would write before I read it.

Just like i know that shortly behind my post, you would follow with a comment about me.

But anyway, sam has been caught red handed, willing to sell himself out.

This is probably the tip of the iceberg too
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like i know that shortly behind my post, you would follow with a comment about me.

He's listened to an offer by some scummy journalists, and said he'd run it by the FA. He hasn't done anything.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member

Have you read the transcript and seen what he has actually said? I'm guessing not.
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's listened to an offer by some scummy journalists, and said he'd run it by the FA. He hasn't done anything.

Exactly.

He was right about his predecessor not being up to public speaking (although the way he put it probably didn't do him any favours), he was very right in saying that if players aren't getting any game time with their clubs then they're unlikely to be fit to play for their country, and he was likely right in what he said re the costs of Wembley stadium. And gambling among players was probably worse back in his day? Tell us something we didn't know.

Given his previous remark that he couldn't tell Rooney where to play, I was more than a bit staggered by his comment that Hodgson should have told Gary Neville to sit down and shut up on account of Hodgson having the last word as manager, but I think Sam Allardyce is really only guilty of startling naivety here. The press probably swung into stitch-up mode as soon as they saw him coming - it must've felt like Christmas to them after years of England being managed by someone they couldn't even wring a decent interview out of, never mind a scandal.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless he's involved in criminal activity then it's a no from me.

Funny how England captains aren't held to the same moral high standards that Alladyce is on here.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member

Is it or is it not their job to investigate rumours of corruption within the game? They've also acted completely lawfully and within their powers, so what's the problem? There have been so many cases of wrong-doing uncovered as a result of this and other investigations, and you of all people should have no problem with people just doing their jobs. I don't get it.
    The Telegraph began investigating corruption in English football last year after receiving information that specific managers, officials and agents were taking or receiving cash payments to secure player transfers. Over the coming days the Telegraph will detail how:

- The assistant manager of a high-profile football club accepted a £5,000 cash “bung”
    - Ten managers were named by players’ agents as taking bribes to fix player transfers
    - Two well-known managers discussed becoming ambassadors for the same fictitious firm as Sam Allardyce
    - Another high-profile manager admitted his players broke FA rules by betting on their own games but he failed to report it
    - A senior figure at a Premier League club helped undercover reporters to formulate a plan to bribe managers

It'll all come down to exactly what he has and hasn't said once the full transcripts have been revealed, I suppose. but even if he's not broken any rules, it all just seems pretty grubby on his part, and he's now left himself open to serious questions about his judgement and character. even if he does keep his job, he's dead man walking at this point. the best thing he can do IMO is step down gracefully rather than defiantly trying to fight through this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sam caught discussing bungs and bribes and people blame the journalists

quite incredible.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should he go, maybe so, will he go, nope, I cannot see him leaving over this.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't somebody think of the children?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should he go, maybe so, will he go, nope, I cannot see him leaving over this.

I agree with you.

He should go, this is not acceptable. Will the FA be brave enough to sack him? Of course not.

They will try and ride out the bad press, and it will tarnish England for the next 2 years until he fails miserably at the world cup (which will be full of racism and corruption in itself)
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam caught discussing bungs and bribes and people blame the journalists

quite incredible.

I know, brush me down with a wet kipper .... :)
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    I guess it will depend if he's broken any of the terms of his contract, and the FA can fire him with no costs. These days the compo rules, and it could cost just too much to get rid of him, personally, I would be happy to see the back of him.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Won't somebody think of the children?

Was his son involved this time as well?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »