Options

Should Sam Allardyce be sacked?

Comments

• Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was right about the decision to re-build Wembley on that North London trading estate.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    He is perfectly within his rights to advise others on how rules can be subverted, as can any in their chosen profession.

Is he? I'd say it's a safe bet that there is a provision in his contract that he must not bring his employer into disrepute.

Advising people - and taking vast sums of money to do so - on how to circumvent rules set by his employer seems a pretty clear cut case.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sunderland job will be available soon. ;-):D
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    He was right about the decision to re-build Wembley on that North London trading estate.

It really should have been built in a more central part of the country, so that fans from all of the country could get to it more easily, but then that would have meant The FA leaving their cosy London home, so that was never on the agenda.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plans for a new national stadium in Birmingham and Cov were both a load of balls.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if only wembley and the olympic stadium were the same thing
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Is he? I'd say it's a safe bet that there is a provision in his contract that he must not bring his employer into disrepute.

Advising people - and taking vast sums of money to do so - on how to circumvent rules set by his employer seems a pretty clear cut case.

That's my angle too and I don't think he was going to run that bit past the FA either! It's the specific bit advising how to get around the rules that will do for him. The rest is pretty irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    That's my angle too and I don't think he was going to run that bit past the FA either! It's the specific bit advising how to get around the rules that will do for him. The rest is pretty irrelevant.

Not only advising random business men how to get around the rules of 3rd party ownership to make a small fortune in transfers, but also admitting that has done so himself.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The plans for a new national stadium in Birmingham and Cov were both a load of balls.

Why, pray tell?
    codeblue wrote: »
    if only wembley and the olympic stadium were the sane thing

Indeed, and that reminds me did the FA/WNSL every hand back the £120million they received from the old Sports Council on the basis the new Wembley would be the National Stadium and not just the national football stadium?
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »

Well considering he has already told them that snippet then obviously he didn't run in past the FA, nor get paid for it.

I thought that snippet was kind of obvious. If the football agent works for you then you can make money out of them and therefore indirectly from the footballers transfer fee.
    Unless the FA explicitly say that's not allowed, then they allowed it.

The running it past the FA was in regards to getting paid to make speeches,while still England manager.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Why, pray tell?

The Birmingham one was complete pie in the sky from the beginning with little more than 'we've got the NEC and that's easy to reach, stadium please?' and the Cov one was piggybacked on the existing plans for the Highfield Road replacement, first of all replacing it, then working alongside and having both, then back again. Even if leaving London was ever seriously considered, it was never coming here with the indecision involved all over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Well considering he has already told them that snippet then obviously he didn't run in past the FA, nor get paid for it.

I thought that snippet was kind of obvious. If the football agent works for you then you can make money out of them and therefore indirectly from the footballers transfer fee.
    Unless the FA explicitly say that's not allowed, then they allowed it.

The running it past the FA was in regards to getting paid to make speeches,while still England manager.

Yes I got all that. The problem though is he is bringing his employer in to disrepute and I can't see the FA not taking a dim view of it. I'm not sure whether or not it's obvious makes any real difference or even if he got paid for it. I'm not trying to do a Batdude and pretend to recall something I've just looked up but isn't Allardyce's son an agent who got in to some trouble a while back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked it up on Wiki (I know!)

Corruption allegations
    Main article: 2006 allegations of corruption in English football

On 19 September 2006, Allardyce, and his father Sam, were implicated in a BBC Panorama documentary for taking "bungs" from agents if they signed certain players. Two agents, Teni Yerima and Peter Harrison, were secretly filmed, each separately saying that they had paid Sam Allardyce through Craig. Sam denies ever taking, or asking for, a bung.

The final report of the Stevens inquiry, published in June 2007, expressed concerns regarding the involvement of Allardyce in a number of transactions. "The inquiry remains concerned at the conflict of interest that it believes existed between Craig Allardyce, his father Sam Allardyce – the then manager at Bolton – and the club itself.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allardyce threatened to sue the BBC for that. Strangely, no action was ever forthcoming.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    He should go for giving that useless twonk Sammy Lee yet another easy pay day for doing nothing.
    He won't go for this - the FA are spineless and will want to 'back their man'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    All its done is shown Sam to be someone who can't keep his bloody mouth shut, someone who doesnt seem to understand if you are England manager you are probably best keeping your stupid Blokey Bloke "Banter" only for the people you trust.

Most of it sounds like a big headed man spouting hot air to me, not sure if he needs to be sacked , he just needs to learn to keep his bloody big mouth shut and stay professional.
  • Options
    digitalspyfan1digitalspyfan1 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allardyce said third party ownership is illegal in the UK but
    Allardyce said it was “not a problem” to bypass the rules introduced by his employer, the Football Association, in 2008. He told the reporters he knew of certain agents “doing it all the time” and added: “You can still get around it. I mean obviously the big money’s here.”
    So basically he's saying he can undertake an illegal action to make some money on the side. I think that shows intent even if didn't say "yes, I'll do it for you given the right price."
    Allardyce discussed an offer that would see him fly to Singapore and Hong Kong four times a year to address investors in a firm that wanted to buy footballers, for which he would be paid £400,000 a year.

Are England managers allowed to do other footballing jobs? If that's not allowed then I can't see him staying as manager of England. And I assume Allardyce wouldn't have disclosed this deal with the FA anyway.

I can't see how he can stay in the job. He's brought the job and the FA into disrepute. That's the usual 'jargon' used to fire people! I'll be amazed if he can survive this. It's possible he'll keep most of his salary so he may have the last laugh.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bon Voyage, least he'll go down in History as never losing a game :D
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Most of it sounds like a big headed man spouting hot air to me

It's a big headed man who loves money trying his best to make even more money on top of his £3m a year salary. It's just pure greed.

Whether what he claims - and he's been around the game long enough to know what's what - can be done can actually be done isn't actually all that relevant; it's the fact that he is soliciting payment for telling people that it can be done.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sack Sam and give the job to the Queen. Safe pair of hands and the press love her.
  • Options
    digitalspyfan1digitalspyfan1 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this post on the Daily Mail website:
    Fat Sams just qualified for Fifa presidency....

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Allardyce discussed an offer that would see him fly to Singapore and Hong Kong four times a year to address investors in a firm that wanted to buy footballers, for which he would be paid £400,000 a year. "

(Snipped from above)

So he wants 400,000 per year, to tell "investors" how to illegally own footballers?

What a disgrace
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    "Allardyce discussed an offer that would see him fly to Singapore and Hong Kong four times a year to address investors in a firm that wanted to buy footballers, for which he would be paid £400,000 a year. "

(Snipped from above)

So he wants 400,000 per year, to tell "investors" how to illegally own footballers?

What a disgrace

Well it's not established that it's illegal, nor that his payments would be for any advise on that subject, nor btw that it was £400,000 per year.
    So pretty much a completely wrong summary all round of what's occurred. No spelling mistakes though so 1/10 for that.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    He's got to go.

Simply put, everytime he burps, coughs or farts the media will be diving in looking for ulterior motives, he will have no peace, and that will all be disrupting the England Squad. We all know what our media is like, and they will pounce on any teeny tiny thing - even if it's not relevant, they will make it so.

It's not the first time he's been dodgy, doubt it will be the last either, so get rid and get in a brilliant manager from anywhere in the world with no fear of the FA and the ability to win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet he's wondering what else the Telegraph has got. Difficult to respond in case they come up with something else.