Options

Looking for an external 2.5" HDD Caddy

soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a laptop which no longer works but the hard drive should still have the data on it. It is a 2.5" SATA 1TB drive and I was thinking the quickest way to take the data off would be to use an external caddy, only problem is the ones I can find so far have a maximum limit of 750GB.

Anyone know of an external USB caddy that can support a 1TB drive?

Comments

• Options
    rustytrawlerrustytrawler Posts: 2,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a laptop which no longer works but the hard drive should still have the data on it. It is a 2.5" SATA 1TB drive and I was thinking the quickest way to take the data off would be to use an external caddy, only problem is the ones I can find so far have a maximum limit of 750GB.

Anyone know of an external USB caddy that can support a 1TB drive?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-BLACK-2-5-SATA-to-USB-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-HDD-CASE-ENCLOSURE-/400750155024?hash=item5d4e921510:g:ZoIAAOSwPYZU~ugk

These are dead easy to fit and work.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Docking-Including-External-Tool-Free/dp/B00IS7Y96I/ref=sr_1_22

Edit: Obviously more expensive than the post that got in before mine :)
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would spend closer to £10 on something important like this.

I'm surprised that any of these enclosures have a 750GB limit, it would not really make any sense.

Best place to buy is Amazon because of reviews. Those under £4 things on Ebay might be ok but best avoided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks good but it doesn't actually mention a maximum limit although the price does make it worth buying just in case it does
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I don't understand why there should be a limit - after all it's just a USB to SATA adapter when all's said and done.

Having said that, the Amazon one I posted does mention supporting up to 4TB.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scan Computers have a large selection, starting at four quid + postage.

Don't think there's a size limit with them is there, never heard of that before.
  • Options
    rustytrawlerrustytrawler Posts: 2,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Actually I don't understand why there should be a limit - after all it's just a USB to SATA adapter when all's said and done.

Having said that, the Amazon one I posted does mention supporting up to 4TB.

It's to do with the SATA controller IC hardware. Anything that's got a USB 3.0 IC shouldn't have been paired with an older SATA controller. If the controller is firmware flashable then it might be possible to update it like in a modular BIOS.

But, if something is cheap enough to source, someone will build with it, especially if it only affects a proportion of users. You can still buy SATA drives with capacity lower than 750GB so caddies that can service those sizes of drive will still be sold and used.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The brand "Icybox" I have always found to be very good.

Significantly more expensive than the generic ones though.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I can vouch for that one as i bought one about 6 months ago, works great.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I would spend closer to £10 on something important like this.

I'm surprised that any of these enclosures have a 750GB limit, it would not really make any sense.

Best place to buy is Amazon because of reviews. Those under £4 things on Ebay might be ok but best avoided.

Never paid more than £6 including delvery from Amazon. I have several and all work fine.

As another poster says limit is not due to caddy.

I wonder if partitioning drive into say 2 500 GB partitions, on another pc would get round problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    I wonder if partitioning drive into say 2 500 GB partitions, on another pc would get round problem?

If you could do that, then you wouldn't need the caddy in the first place, would you? :)

Doesn't the OP just want to get the data off it?
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP: You don't say why the laptop no longer works. If it's because the disk is defective, you may have trouble reading it in any sort of caddy. If the PC is unserviceable for another reason and the disk is OK, then get a decent enclosure (this is my favourite) and once the data has been salvaged you will be able to reformat the disk and use it as external storage or for backup.

If the disk is the cause of the problem, rather that some other fault, then you should probably try booting the laptop from a linux live disk. Linux can sometimes read disks that Windows has given up on, and anyway it's a no-cost option so there's nothing to lose. Of course, you'll still need some sort of storage to copy the salvaged data to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a series of faults so cheaper to buy a new laptop than try to repair this one.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    with sata, I've never known any limits under 2tb that would affect caddies. I've got a bunch of usb2 ones that work with various sizes of drives no problem

I recently bought a usb3 caddy for 3.5" drives (which works with 2.5" too) and the box said works with drives up to 2tb but I tried a 4tb drive and it worked fine. (there are some limits on drives over 2tb in certain circumstances with older OS's)

I think any USB3 caddy should be fine for that size as 750gb isn't particularly big these days. any cheap one should work fine, no need to overspend. icybox is nice, but both mine only work via esata as the USB sockets broke. I did find a £3 esata to USB3 adapter on ebay which works fine and lets me use USB3 instead of sata sockets though