Options

Stories not considered very good you really like?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't argue with you either on Peri being the sexiest companion ever

I'd guessed that from your location!! :D

Nicola also comes over as a sparkling person in interviews, which adds to her appeal.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warriors Of The Deep is a good story ruined by THAT monster, THAT kung fu kick and THAT polystyrene bulk head door. They all takeaway from what is a solid base under siege story. The episode 1 cliffhanger is superb.

Also Time Flight is fun. With a good budget it would have worked even better.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Warriors Of The Deep is a good story ruined by THAT monster.

You mean Dobbin The Donkey from Rentaghost?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    You mean Dobbin The Donkey from Rentaghost?

The very same! :D
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Delta and the Bannermen is a lot of fun if you know enough about old-time BBC radio shows to get all the references and in-jokes.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping this on behalf of Puca and Michael Eve the OP
  • Options
    Capaldi_CapaldiCapaldi_Capaldi Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I like The End of Time, but it dose not appear to be well received with a few people on YouTube.
  • Options
    WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Revenge Of The Cybermen, one of my many favourites from Tom's tenure.

I also really enjoyed the Daleks in Manhattan two parter and Father's Day with CE.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the time monster.
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    I'm sticking to stories that still exist as I don't know how you can really judge something that has been missing for over 40 years (visually anyway), and some of these have already been mentioned, so in agreement there if already covered. So after that long-winded intro here goes:

-The Rescue
    -The Mutants
    -Frontier in Space
    -Death to the Daleks
    -Robot
    -Revenge of the Cybermen
    -The Android Invasion
    -Time Flight

Like all stories, these all have their faults, some more so than the "favourites", but I quite like these ones that people tend to either bag, or they fly under the radar :)

Maybe another good thread would be something like:
    "Revisits -stories you use to like but rewatching now, you ask yourself -"what was I thinking?" "
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    I love the time monster.

I've always loved the first few episodes of The Time Monster. Its only the Atlantis bits I don't like.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What 's wrong with the slitheen stories? I enjoyed AOL/WW3 and Boomtown
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    What 's wrong with the slitheen stories? I enjoyed AOL/WW3 and Boomtown

Boom Town was an absolutely wonderful story and aside from the slightly more soapy side with Rose and Mickey, the scenes with Margaret and The Doctor are the sort of character moments I sorely miss from later series. Annette Badland was an absolute star in this!

Aliens of London/World War Three was a very decent concept which I feel was let down with an incredibly poor alien design. The Slitheen costumes were far too lumbering and the limited CGI meant that the switches between the two were too sloppy and obvious. When the flatulence was overplayed as well it gave a very daft physical appearance to an otherwise very decent story - aliens faking aliens. With a decent design for the Slitheen this would have been an absolute classic I feel.
  • Options
    krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    From the Classic series, I've got a lot of fondness for The Invisible Enemy, The Leisure Hive and Four To Doomsday. The end of the first episode of The Leisure Hive is possibly the most horrifying cliffhanger in DW history...*shudders*

Post-2005 - Boomtown tends to be underrated, but like a lot of RTD's episodes it gets darker and more troubling every time I watch it. The Ninth Doctor coldly refuses to help someone, and it's chilling. A very adult episode IMO.

I really like Love and Monsters - again, a very dark, emotional RTD episode - and, though Fear Her isn't one of my favourites, I can't understand the dislike for it, either. I think if they hadn't included the (admittedly awful) line, 'It's a beacon of love!', it might be far more popular.

From Series 3, I think Gridlock is brilliantly written, effortlessly moving from the peril of Martha's kidnapping to extreme silliness (the kittens!) to, in the end, being very moving. It's actually one of my favourite DW stories. And I love 42, too - it's incredibly tense, and Graeme Harper's direction is superb.

The Beast Below - great opening sequence. I know Moffat didn't rate this one but - speaking as someone who doesn't like Series 5 very much - I found it a convoluted but interesting story, and Liz 10 was a great character.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - just great fun. And Brian Williams improves every episode he's in, IMO.

:)
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like The End of Time, but it dose not appear to be well received with a few people on YouTube.

If Youtube comments are where your sensibilities lie then it explains an awful lot...

Information: Youtube comments are one of the most worthless things the human race has ever come up with.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aliens of London/World War Three was a very decent concept which I feel was let down with an incredibly poor alien design. The Slitheen costumes were far too lumbering and the limited CGI meant that the switches between the two were too sloppy and obvious. When the flatulence was overplayed as well it gave a very daft physical appearance to an otherwise very decent story - aliens faking aliens. With a decent design for the Slitheen this would have been an absolute classic I feel.

And don't forget the line: "I am going to to replace you immediately as temporary prime minister"
    Slitheen "Oh, but I was having so much fun" :D
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, the Web Planet really does have some good parts to it and some interesting ideas. And I'm not one of those types who like to big up the crappy stories just to be different (there's always one who will rubbish Caves of Androzani or Talons whilst swearing blind the best story is Time Lash). But it really isn't as bad as it sometimes gets painted and I have quite enjoyed watching it.

I've also written favourably here before about Delta and the Bannermen (it was possibly even in this thread but I can't be bothered to go back through it and check).

I find the entire Key to Time season wonderful. I don't agree it tailed off. Wonderful writers that season. Wonderful ideas. Great variety. Tom Baker at his peak. Mary Tamm. Honestly, why do people criticize the later serials in the season?

The Mythmakers: not a maligned serial really, but certainly one that isn't particularly well regarded or discussed. Perhaps because it's missing but that hasn't stopped other stories from being acclaimed. The scripts are wonderful and witty; some of the finest the show has ever had. It's author Donald Cotton was a big deal writer in his time and really brought his own voice to the show. It's one of my favourite Doctor Whos to listen to. Scripts of that quality haven't been seen in Doctor who too often.
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    You know, the Web Planet really does have some good parts to it and some interesting ideas. And I'm not one of those types who like to big up the crappy stories just to be different (there's always one who will rubbish Caves of Androzani or Talons whilst swearing blind the best story is Time Lash). But it really isn't as bad as it sometimes gets painted and I have quite enjoyed watching it.

I've also written favourably here before about Delta and the Bannermen (it was possibly even in this thread but I can't be bothered to go back through it and check).

I find the entire Key to Time season wonderful. I don't agree it tailed off. Wonderful writers that season. Wonderful ideas. Great variety. Tom Baker at his peak. Mary Tamm. Honestly, why do people criticize the later serials in the season?

Excellent, I've never seen any of these yet, and based on general views, was not really expecting much when I get round to watching them (I've now bought most of them just need Timelash & Delta & the Bannerman). So with a little luck maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I do view them. :)
    I'm watching The Sensorites this week and I must say I really enjoyed the first episode, but I'm expecting it to drag as I get into the remaining 5 episodes and not too sure about the Sensorites themselves. Then on to The Web Planet next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I love the Web Planet. It is a really and truly alien world. I also think that the crew should be given an honorary BAFTA for even attempting to tell a tale of a war between giant flying insects on a 1960's BBC soundstage. The fact that they then succeeded should have gained them a golden statue on the forecourt of Television House.

Imagine the scene in 'Adventure' when they are trying to film the first episode and everything goes wrong. Now imagine that someone comes up to you with this script for The Web Planet. To have the cojones to accept the challenge, and then pull it off under those conditions, is just fantastic.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1milescarf wrote: »
    I love the Web Planet. It is a really and truly alien world. I also think that the crew should be given an honorary BAFTA for even attempting to tell a tale of a war between giant flying insects on a 1960's BBC soundstage. The fact that they then succeeded should have gained them a golden statue on the forecourt of Television House.

Imagine the scene in 'Adventure' when they are trying to film the first episode and everything goes wrong. Now imagine that someone comes up to you with this script for The Web Planet. To have the cojones to accept the challenge, and then pull it off under those conditions, is just fantastic.

Absolutely. The imagination and ambition of the Hartnell era, when you consider the budgetary restraints is a constant source of delight to me. And it's why we're all here half a century later discussing this programme. Great, isn't it. :)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1milescarf wrote: »

Though I sort of agree with this The Web Planet is the one and only Hartnell story which has dated horribly since the 60's. A lot of stories like The Chase and it's poor production values I can live with as they are great stories. This for me isn't and is seriously dull by modern day standards.

I can however, understand that at the time it was shown, it must have been quite a great story to view and not having the later stories to compare it against it probably was awesome for the viewers back then and that's what I try to think of it as. However, as I say, it's just dated so badly. Which is a shame.

:)