Top 10 Greatest ever snooker players

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JIMO96 wrote:
    Katiya, did you ever turn pro? Just reading between the lines, you know Graeme Dott, you've played Snaddon, and generally display a good knowledge of the game. I know there were a bunch of good Scottish amateurs who turned pro in the early 90's, were you one of them? The likes of Drew Henry, Chris Small, Marcus Campbell, Jamie Burnett, Snaddon, Dott, a certain John Higgins plus Crucible qualifiers David McLellan & Graham Horne all launched their careers around this time. Maybe you're one of the ones I mentioned? :)

No, im not that good and nowhere near pro standard. I used to play league snooker and my highest break in competition is a miserly 68 although i've had a good few centuries in practise, 119 and 120 in the space of 3 frames earlier this week. :) I played in the same team as a few guys who have made 147's and got to know a few pro's through them. I play more pool, I prefer it tactically and im a lot better at it.
  • Weeping DreamsWeeping Dreams Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    2. Jimmy White
    3. Steven Hendry
    4. Steve Davis
    5. Ray Reardon
    6. Dean Reynolds
    7. John Spencer
    8. Joe Davis
    9. Mark Williams
    10. Fred Davis
    :)
  • SeminoleSeminole Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No mention of Perry Mans and Doug Mountjoy?:confused::)
  • evanscevansc Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
    2. Jimmy White
    3. Steven Hendry
    4. Steve Davis
    5. Ray Reardon
    6. Dean Reynolds
    7. John Spencer
    8. Joe Davis
    9. Mark Williams
    10. Fred Davis
    :)

Dean Reynolds!. Are you having a laugh?. He won nothing!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 ray reardon
    2 o'sullivan
    3 hendry
    4 steve davis
    5 joe davis
    6 mark williams (could have been greatest of all time but lost hunger)
    7 John higgins
    8 thorburn
    9 Fred davis
    10 alex higgins
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st list looks fair.

You have to adjust for 'the generation' and pure figures have little to do with 'best'.
    Really hard to judge between Hendry and Davis. Hendy just wipded the floor with potting. Davis never let anyone in and was a great potter.

People choose Hendry for potting ability. However would that ability have stood the test against a peak Davis.

We will never know.
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All great players mentioned, but not everyone can be champs.
    I used to love watching ..Cliff Wilson , mad as a left-handed shirt,,, but great potter no-one fancied playing him cos no-one knew how he would play...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that Alec 'Iggins was the best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Based on whom I have actually seen play, rather than what I have heard, therefore cant pick Fred or Joe Davis:

S Hendry
    S Davis
    R Reardon
    R O'Sullivan
    J Spencer
    A Higgins
    J Higgins
    M Williams
    J White
    T Griffiths
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallc wrote: »
    All great players mentioned, but not everyone can be champs.
    I used to love watching ..Cliff Wilson , mad as a left-handed shirt,,, but great potter no-one fancied playing him cos no-one knew how he would play...

Blimey, I watched him play a exhibition at Pontins in the mid 80's, he was seriously good fun and yes as mad as a box of frogs.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Great debate this. But first, congrats to Ronnie on winning his 3rd world championship. This is realy tough but here goes, my top ten are as follows. Ray Reardon, Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, R O' Sullivan, John Spencer, Joe Davis, Jimmy White, John Higgins, Fred Davis. Wow what a line up, imagine if they all played in the same era. Now that would be something, What do you think.
  • biggeralbiggeral Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go with my list:

1) Ronnie O'Sullivan - at his best absolutely unbeatable
    2) Stephen Hendry - 7 world titles and far more century breaks than anyone else
    3) Steve Davis - brilliant 6 time world champion
    4) Joe Davis - less opposition, but retired undefeated.
    5) Ray Reardon - great all round game
    6) Jimmy White - by far the best player never to be world champion
    7) Mark Williams - at his prime, the best long potter I have ever seen
    8) John Higgins - 2 time world champion. At his best is very difficult to stop
    9) Paul Hunter - brilliant player, tragic that he died at such a young age
    10) Cliff Thorburn - Ex champion who deserves a top 10 place as he got the first maximum in the World Championship

John Pullman, Fred Davis and Alex Higgins not quite making my top 10.
    Forum Member
    biggeral wrote: »
    Here we go with my list:

1) Ronnie O'Sullivan - at his best absolutely unbeatable
    2) Stephen Hendry - 7 world titles and far more century breaks than anyone else
    3) Steve Davis - brilliant 6 time world champion
    4) Joe Davis - less opposition, but retired undefeated.
    5) Ray Reardon - great all round game
    6) Jimmy White - by far the best player never to be world champion
    7) Mark Williams - at his prime, the best long potter I have ever seen
    8) John Higgins - 2 time world champion. At his best is very difficult to stop
    9) Paul Hunter - brilliant player, tragic that he died at such a young age
    10) Cliff Thorburn - Ex champion who deserves a top 10 place as he got the first maximum in the World Championship

John Pullman, Fred Davis and Alex Higgins not quite making my top 10.

Good shout. I forgot about Paul Hunter, he could have been a great player also. but Alex Higgins not in your top ten Mmmm.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,206
    Forum Member
    1. Steve Davis - Known as the Big Red Machine in his heyday- no one stood a chance against him- whole package, potter and tactically strong
    2. Stephen Hendry - Great player but the inferior safety game meant if he was misfiring with his potting he was easier to beat than Davis
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan- the only person who can beat Ronnie is Ronnie himself, but can he stay motivated
    Forum Member
    Here's a topical one for you.

Something I was thinking myself at home. Who is the greatest ever snooker player ? Well here is my top 10. Not based on personal favourites but oustanding achievements and contributions to the game. One other thing to take into account is the different era's players played. I am not saying that number 9 wouldnt beat number 3 for instance, because you can only beat what is put in front of you and snooker times and advances change.

1. Stephen Hendry - 7 times world champion and won more titles than any other plus made more century breaks than any other.

2. Steve Davis - 6 times world champ and the man who made snooker what it is today. Revolutionised the game in the 1980's and was simply untouchable.

3. Joe Davis - did in the 1930s and 40's what Steve Davis did in the 1980s. Multi World Champion ( 15 times ) amd could do things with a snooker ball that others had only dreamt of in that era.

4. Ray Reardon - Boy, could he control the cue ball. Another 6 time world champ and possibly the biggest crowd favourite of his time. Affable, creative and a superb potter.

5. Ronnie O'Sullivan - For me, the best player in the world right now. Never mind what his ranking is, he is the one player others fear. Genius, multi skilled and a real enigma.

6. Fred Davis - Like his older brother Joe, helped bring the game to the masses. May not have had his brother's talent but his longevity gets him in my list. Made the World semis at the age of 64 and won the World Billiard crown at the age of 67.

7. John Spencer - was always my favourite player when I first started watching the game. His cue power and potting ability made him ahead of his time. 3 time world champion and the first Crucible winner.

8. Alex Higgins - So much talent, so much ability, so much wasted. Could be much higher up the list had his demons not overtaken his natural skill.

9. Jimmy White - The only non world champion on my list, but a man with so much under achieved talent. 6 times runner up, 5 in a row, you don't do that unless you can play. Arguably the most popular player ever, with both fans and players alike.

10. John Pulman - Was the main man during the 1960's. 8 times world champion and another whose career certainly lasted longer than anticipated.

I know some will argue and disgaree but that's the beauty of opinion isnt it ?

Notable mentions for John Higgins, Mark Williams, Walter Donaldson and Horace Lindrum.

I agree all great players , but how long do you think it will be before a chinese player wins the world championship.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    1. Steve Davis - Known as the Big Red Machine in his heyday- no one stood a chance against him- whole package, potter and tactically strong
    2. Stephen Hendry - Great player but the inferior safety game meant if he was misfiring with his potting he was easier to beat than Davis
    3. Ronnie O'Sullivan- the only person who can beat Ronnie is Ronnie himself, but can he stay motivated

I see Ronnie has moved up from number 7 on your list from page 1. To be honest he would have probably moved up a place or two in my list too. Give it another couple of years and he could be challenging the top two.

Apologies for this Footgirl and you are going to hate me for this. But, I think this past tournament has strengthened the case for Hendry as the greatest. To reach the semi finals again is incredible. You always say that Steve's strength is his longevity but Hendry has shown he has that in his bag now too. If you didnt constantly go on about how much you fancy Steve then I would take your case a bit more seriously but it makes it sound very girly. Sorry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallorca wrote: »
    I agree all great players , but how long do you think it will be before a chinese player wins the world championship.

Well I would have thought Ding would be the first, but now I am not so sure. I have a feeling we have just scratched the surface with these Chinese players. But in answer to your question, I would say within 10 years would be a real possibility.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,206
    Forum Member
    I see Ronnie has moved up from number 7 on your list from page 1. To be honest he would have probably moved up a place or two in my list too. Give it another couple of years and he could be challenging the top two.

Apologies for this Footgirl and you are going to hate me for this. But, I think this past tournament has strengthened the case for Hendry as the greatest. To reach the semi finals again is incredible. You always say that Steve's strength is his longevity but Hendry has shown he has that in his bag now too. If you didnt constantly go on about how much you fancy Steve then I would take your case a bit more seriously but it makes it sound very girly. Sorry.

Don't patronise me please. I'm quite capable of keeping my hormones out of a decision.

To answer your previous point. Davis stayed at the top level for 30 years. Hendry for 20
    Forum Member
    Well I would have thought Ding would be the first, but now I am not so sure. I have a feeling we have just scratched the surface with these Chinese players. But in answer to your question, I would say within 10 years would be a real possibility.

Well lets face it, the young chinese lad who Ronnie beat ( His name escapes me at the moment ) gets his safety together is going to be a lot better next year. I disagree, maybe 5 to 6 years is possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallorca wrote: »
    Well lets face it, the young chinese lad who Ronnie beat ( His name escapes me at the moment ) gets his safety together is going to be a lot better next year. I disagree, maybe 5 to 6 years is possible.

Liang Wenbo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't patronise me please. I'm quite capable of keeping my hormones out of a decision.

To answer your previous point. Davis stayed at the top level for 30 years. Hendry for 20

I did say you wouldnt like it. A quick search has shown you have mentioned Steve Davis in 59 seperate threads in a dozen different forums. Not just sport but Big Brother and Strictly Come Dancing etc. In fact in the BB one you use the words, and I quote, " I fancy Steve Davis ". To my knowledge he wasn't even IN Big Brother.

Not patronising but merely pointing out a fact that you do seem a little obsessed with him.
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Davis won his first ranking event in 1981 and his last was in 1995 (also won 97 Masters).

Hendry won his first in 1987 and won others in 2003 and as recently as 2005. In addition to maintaining his top 16 placing for 20 years - I think probably top 8 at that.

That Davis has achieved a top 16 place at 50 emphasises his recent resurgence, as opposed to his longevity.

I agree with Darren here. Hendry already beats him on longevity, and judging by this last tournament, he still has a lot to come yet.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not quite.
    Davis was one of the pioneers in the resurgance of snooker and was thus a late starter.
    So when Hendry started snooker was already massive.
    Its very likely Davis would have been inspired much younger in snooker had taken off earlier.

Longevity? Will Hendry be in the top 32 when he is 50?
    Who knows.

The so called recent Davis mini resurgance was simply doing well in one single tournament. Until now he had always been in or near the top 16.

Personally I expect Davis to move out of the top 64 next year. At the lower levels its even more competitive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    not quite.
    Davis was one of the pioneers in the resurgance of snooker and was thus a late starter.
    So when Hendry started snooker was already massive.
    Its very likely Davis would have been inspired much younger in snooker had taken off earlier.

Longevity? Will Hendry be in the top 32 when he is 50?
    Who knows.

The so called recent Davis mini resurgance was simply doing well in one single tournament. Until now he had always been in or near the top 16.

Personally I expect Davis to move out of the top 64 next year. At the lower levels its even more competitive.

Actually Alan, Davis spent 3 years out of the top 16 a few years back.
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Alan, Davis spent 3 years out of the top 16 a few years back.

And there lies one of the key points.

Its hypothetical for alanwarwic to talk about Davis being a late starter; that just makes him a pioneer then and is irrelevant to longevity.

I think I'm just going to let Hendry's record over 20 years and his world ranking over that period tell its own story.