Scared about uni...

2»

Comments

• FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have nothing to worry about. Everyone feels nervous before they move away, this time last year I felt exactly the same as you do.

I remember arriving on the Saturday. I was very nervous, my parents helped me unload all my stuff into my room, and then they left. I put my posters up, and just went for it. There were people in other rooms unpacking, and everyone was really nice.

I was living with second years and first years, so that was even more nerve-racking when I found that out, but it turned out to be a great experience! So great, in fact, that I'm repeating it this year, staying in halls with a few people from last year and probably a couple of freshers too.

I would never trade in the experiences I had staying in halls, even after Freshers fortnight there was always something funny or interesting happening, or we were all heading out into town. You'll end up with more friends than you know what to do with, and you'll be free of any of the constraints of home!

You will most likely love it.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best two years of my life while staying in the halls. Don't worry, like many people I was really worried about it but after an hour it was fine.

I was like antsmusic in that I was awful at meeting people too, would always say the wrong thing and make a bad first impression. But the people I was with were so cool and friendly that I had nothing to worry about. I'm sure it will be the same for you. :)
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank-you everyone. :)

I'm feeling much happier about uni today, and like everyone has said, everyone's in the same boat, so as long as I make the effort to chat to people and make friends, there's no reason at all why it won't be fun, even if there are certain reasons why I would rather be at home right now...:o

Thanks again! :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, you'll love uni. It might take a wee while to settle in and for it all to feel normal, but that's natural as it's a totally new experience - it'd be strange if you weren't a bit nervous.

I look back on my uni years with extreme fondness. It's a great opportunity and it's so interesting, especially if you're doing a subject that you're really into. What I loved too was the way you could structure your day to an extent how you wanted, around your lectures - if you don't have any lectures one morning say, you can relax or watch 'This Morning', then catch up with your work at night or something. It's so much better than the 9 - 5 grind, so enjoy it! Indeed, I'm now in the process of changing my career away from the 9 - 5 treadmill as I've found that hard to settle to.

My last piece of advice is don't panic if at first you find the level you're working at a bit of a shock after school. I remember panicking a bit about this in the first few months, but honestly, you'll get into it very quickly and find it no problem after a bit. You are capable and you will be able to do it - they wouldn't have let you in otherwise!

Good luck! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I was like antsmusic in that I was awful at meeting people too, would always say the wrong thing and make a bad first impression. But the people I was with were so cool and friendly that I had nothing to worry about. I'm sure it will be the same for you. :)

Whoop whoop glad I'm not the only one!! But now I have friends coming out of my ears.
    I did it all again a year later, as I went on a year abroad in Grenoble, France, and we all had one thing in common: solidarity against the French teehee :D
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything in life worth doing is a challenge... you'll be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Uuuuugh, first night of uni!
    The best thing I did was tell my boyfriend to bugger off home, and go and investigate the people who felt exactly the same as me. Many drinks later, I wondered why the hell I had been so worried. I was also wondering how planes stay up, but all the same, remember how everyone else is feeling, because it's not going to far from your own worries.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma2010 wrote: »
    Uuuuugh, first night of uni!
    The best thing I did was tell my boyfriend to bugger off home, and go and investigate the people who felt exactly the same as me. Many drinks later, I wondered why the hell I had been so worried. I was also wondering how planes stay up, but all the same, remember how everyone else is feeling, because it's not going to far from your own worries.

Ahh, reminds me of my first night. We ended up so drunk that come 4 in the morning when a repeat of Countdown was on we thought it was a comedy :D
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I start Uni this Friday! I'm so excited but the nervousness has only just started kicking in!

Thing is so far my life has been really crap, I've left High School with no friends and has been bullied most of my life sadly. But, I'm being optimistic for Uni...I mean it can't be any worse than my life now can it?

Argh...so excited!

(And how on Earth I am going to manage packing I don't know...I have WAAAY too much I want to bring)
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I start Uni this Friday! I'm so excited but the nervousness has only just started kicking in!

Thing is so far my life has been really crap, I've left High School with no friends and has been bullied most of my life sadly. But, I'm being optimistic for Uni...I mean it can't be any worse than my life now can it?

Argh...so excited!

(And how on Earth I am going to manage packing I don't know...I have WAAAY too much I want to bring)

Yeah, same here - making friends is the scariest part, but I'm sure it will be ok!

And yeah, I haven't got a clue what to take - too many clothes, not enough space, haha! :o
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm taking loads of tinned and dried food, just to last the first few days without needing to shop. LOADS of alchohol (a bit too much actually lol) Cutlery, crockery, dvds, games, video player, tv, laptop and clothes of course.

Probably more as well lol
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be scared. I was a bit shy before I went to uni but it really does help you to grow up a lot. To be honest, the first six months or so were hard - I missed family and friends and found it difficult to make new friends. But if you stick at it, you will enjoy it. I will probably end up not using my degree, but it will still have been worth it because the experience has changed me so much and given me more confidence.
  • 5340robert5340robert Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It`s great last year was my first year and i can`t wait to get back in 2 weeks time. Just make as many friends as poss go out loads and just ENJOY it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    Agh.

I just need a rant.

I'm scared about uni and I don't want to go. I don't want to be alone. I'm scared. I don't know how to cope by myself.

I'm going to miss out on so much, and...agh.

Any advice would be appreciated. Or just positive experiences of uni, or...whatever really.

Thanks.

Edit: Actually, forget that. I'm fine. Uni will be fine. Sorry - ignore this thread now! :)

be positive, don't worry about missing out on anything because you'll learn so much and make loads of friends, you're being given the opportunity of a lifetime, i know i have and i'm gonna grab it by the balls
  • FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frazzles wrote: »
    i'm gonna grab it by the balls

Not literally I hope :D

Cos that would be a quick way to lose friends you haven't made yet. :p
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Enjoy yourself
    2. Work hard

They're not mutually exclusive, especially if you're doing a subject you like. Unfortunately, I ended up doing too much of (1), and not enough of (2), and finished Uni with a 2:2, when I was capable of gettting better.

Having a 2:2 has meant a couple of things: I didn't get the grant I wanted for my MSc (so had to pay for it myself - £5k), and it made getting interviews for jobs difficult. Not impossible, just more difficult than if I'd had a 2:1.

So please, learn from my mistake, and do the work too! :D

(And no-one need be worried about making friends; there's ALWAYS people in the same boat as you, you WILL make friends - 15 years later, I'm still good friends with half a dozen uni mates)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not literally I hope :D

Cos that would be a quick way to lose friends you haven't made yet. :p

yeah but you get what i mean! I've been given an opportunity so I'm gonna make the best of it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As everyone else says - everyone is in exactly the same situation as you! I was petrified - I'd not left home before, I'd moved to a new city that I didn't know, I didn't know anyone and was moving in with strangers, but on my first day walking up to my 'cheese and wine meet and greet' (what fun that was :rolleyes: ) I bumped into a girl from the next town from me and we stayed friends all the way through uni. The time will fly by so enjoy every second of it. Good luck :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be scared. I dropped out after 2 months because I hated it, but even I managed to make a few friends and have a laugh.