VOD Service Availability - pretty dire?

clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm wondering just how the server config is done for the various Virgin VOD services.

Do they run one set of central servers to send out the video to all areas, or do they run some more localised servers to "spread the load"?

Whats got me wondering is the number of times of late that the service appears to have been totally unavailable. Sometimes a reboot of the box will resolve the issue, but not always.

So its down to one (or more) of the following :
1. Too much local traffic to the "local" data center
2. Way too much load to the centralised data centers
3. Lousy coding on the STB

I'm starting to figure its down to both load on the service and lousy coding on the STB.

Comments

• DanielWhitDanielWhit Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem to have got a lot worse for me recently - after that breakdown last weekend the service has been very disrupted. Broadband/VoD struggling sometimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    My HD VOD availablity has been pretty awful from day one, despite a change of box. :(
  • Captain WCaptain W Posts: 4,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be the changes from DOCSIS 2 to 3? Or, is that a different part of the network?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Virgin have VoD? (yes I'm a TV XL custom... sorry, mug).

I think in the past three weeks I've managed to access it twice when I've actually wanted to!

Error 1033 is ingrained in my mind :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Mine are 9132, 1087 & 1095. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in area #1.

My VoD always works. I use it everyday and never have any issues with it (only time I get an error is when I have had it paused for too long).

Saying that though where I live was upgraded from cabletime (analogue only area) a few years ago so the it is basically newly cabled).

My view is that it is very reliable.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am always able to get my VOD.

The only time I couldn't, I was having problems with all aspects of my TV caused by equipment becoming faulty much further up the network. Go to the newsgroups and report the faults there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    For the most part I've always had good results with VOD. Not to say it's perfect as I've had a few glitches here and there but most problems I've had are usually resolved by a box reboot.

I also use the service daily so for my areas at least (SS2) it is pretty solid.

If your having problems regulary then I would assume the problem is likely something to do with the headend servers.

If you want further information on how the whole VOD thing works then the sticky on Cableforum is very informative, which can be found at the the following:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/22345-how-video-demand-works-long-technical.html
  • HANHAM97HANHAM97 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    It's been fine for me.
  • popppopp Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seems pretty solid here. i use it eveyday, occaisionally i get an error when i pause for a long time, regards popp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    klbrock wrote: »
    Virgin have VoD? (yes I'm a TV XL custom... sorry, mug).

I think in the past three weeks I've managed to access it twice when I've actually wanted to!

Error 1033 is ingrained in my mind :eek:

Box swapped. Problem solved :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Havnt had a problem and use it all the time.

Used to have too busy errors shortly after launch in the Telewest days but been fine around here for years.
  • Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in area #1.

My VoD always works. I use it everyday and never have any issues with it (only time I get an error is when I have had it paused for too long).

Saying that though where I live was upgraded from cabletime (analogue only area) a few years ago so the it is basically newly cabled).

My view is that it is very reliable.

I do love the big geographical distance from area #1 and area #2 as I live in!

From what I've used it was rock solid reliable too!