Options

Found a Lump in Armpit - Petrified

loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
Forum Member
I've just found a lump just above my armpit. It is small, about the size of a pea and fairly hard. It feels sort of attached but moveable. It felt like it was quite deep inside and now if I feel for it I can't find it.
I think it's just above where the hair starts. It's not painful at all.

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer exactly a year ago on the 10th and I'm really scared this could be the same. I suffer with severe anxiety and this is really worrying me - I'm having a mild panic attack. Should I be worried? Should I go to the doctor or should I wait to see if I can find it again, or if it disappears or gets bigger?

I'm 22.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get your ass to the GP Now.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    If it worrys you that much just go and see your doctor. Its probably nothing to worry about but if you don't go you'll work yourself into a frenzy and thats no good at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your replies. I was supposed to go and see my GP today about my anxiety but they had no appointments.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies. I was supposed to go and see my GP today about my anxiety but they had no appointments.

You just need to call up on Monday morning and request an urgent appointment for later that day.

Failing that, if you get incredibly worried over the weekend, you could ring the out of hours GP
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just found a lump just above my armpit. It is small, about the size of a pea and fairly hard. It feels sort of attached but moveable. It felt like it was quite deep inside and now if I feel for it I can't find it.

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer exactly a year ago on the 10th and I'm really scared this could be the same. I suffer with severe anxiety and this is really worrying me - I'm having a mild panic attack. Should I be worried? Should I go to the doctor or should I wait to see if I can find it again, or if it disappears or gets bigger?

I'm 22.

I get those kinda things too... never had it turn out to be something worse.

Id go down to yr GP, just for reassurance. You may find it naturally goes away anyway.

Its prob a swollen lymph node under your armpit. There are multiple causes. It can be linked to cancer, but its much more likely this is merely a mild infection.

Check it out at yr GP's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone.

I've just told my mum about it and she had a feel and thinks it's nothing to worry about which has calmed me down a bit. I'll mention it to my GP when I manage to get an appointment.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

I've just told my mum about it and she had a feel and thinks it's nothing to worry about which has calmed me down a bit. I'll mention it to my GP when I manage to get an appointment.

I think you should make it with some reasonable urgency

Never put these things off when it comes to lumps. Your mum isn't a doctor
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm 22.

I am amazed that you even need to ask that question. I made the exact same point on an earlier thread today. Call your GP, make an appointment and go.http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=38306952&highlight=#post38306952
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am amazed that you even need to ask that question. I made the exact same point on an earlier thread today. Call your GP, make an appointment and go.http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=38306952&highlight=#post38306952

I can sympahise with the OP. I suffer from anxiety attacks concerned with my body, I am a cancer phobic and actually making that appointment when you are worried sick is very difficult.
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I'd vote for it being a lymph gland but you have to get it checked out regardless.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone.

If it were me and I couldn't get an appointment very quickly, I would go to casualty.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them when you phone for an appointment you have a lump in your armpit and a doctor will see you - you won't have to wait ages for an appointment. Or go to your nearest walk-in centre. Get it checked out by a medical professional, it's probably nothing to be concerned about but do get it looked at as soon as possible to put your mind at rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for scaring me into phoning the doctor. I had to have an emergency appointment with a different doctor but I've just got back and it's fine. :) It took him a while to find it but when he did he said it felt like muscle or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were me and I couldn't get an appointment very quickly, I would go to casualty.

Thats OTT. Ive had lots of lumps in my armpits in the past. Its most likely a swollen lymph node, and of no serious concern.

I can only assume you've never had one??
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

I was about to suggest that, or a walk-in centre if one is available.

I stress not because it's that serious (no-one here can say one way or another on that) - but because you already have severe anxiety OP, and to fret about this until Monday seems a long time.

They may refer you to someone else on Monday, but at least you will have seen someone with medical knowledge and shared your fears. They may even tell you there and then whether it's 'nothing' or not.

Best wishes to you and your Mum.

In reply to boddism about it being OTT going to casualty, my concern would be for the state of mind of the OP, not the seriousness of any potential lumps. I have had both a 'lump scare' and anxiety attacks, the anxiety was far scarier.

Edit - I missed your very last post OP, so glad you got it sorted out, now enjoy your weekend. :)
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for scaring me into phoning the doctor. I had to have an emergency appointment with a different doctor but I've just got back and it's fine. :) It took him a while to find it but when he did he said it felt like muscle or something.

Glad it's sorted, have yourself a good weekend.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my Mum get lumps in our armpits, sometimes. I usually get them when I'm stressed. They can hurt slightly, but often disappear within a few days. Ours are lymph glands that produce too much oil, which causes a blockage in the gland = lump.

Glad you have a peace of mind, though. :)
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Thats OTT. Ive had lots of lumps in my armpits in the past. Its most likely a swollen lymph node, and of no serious concern.

I can only assume you've never had one??

No I haven't and obviously I would go to the GP if I could get an appointment. I am fortunate that I can just walk into my GPs surgery any morning and sit and wait and I will be seen. But from what I have heard numerous other people say, they can't get an appointment with their GP for god knows how long. That was what I meant. If you can't get an appointment within a reasonable time then you should go to casualty. I stick by that.

edit

And it transpires that, when the OP explained the situation to the GPs receptionist, she was given an emergency appointment with an alternative doctor, so THEY obviously thought it was worth an immediate check.

Just because YOUR lumps have turned out to be nothing serious doesn't mean that somebody elses will too.