Options

Listening To Take That - Progress For The First Time

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
Wife is playing it on Napster.

Is this some kind of joke? :confused: Who ON EARTH produced this rubbish? :eek: Cheap sounding pianos and synths. Is it Robbie's follow up to Rudebox?

I thought The Flood was OK despite a fairly weak and cliched chorus and assumed there'd be better on the album. Can't believe how wrong I was. I now see why they performed the SAME song on X Factor on Saturday and why the album has been on special offer everywhere. Absolutely terrible, and nobody will convince me any different.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was produced ny Stuart Price.

It's a great shame for me as under his aliases Jacques Lu Cont, Les Rythmes Digitales & Thin White Duke he produced some of my fav remixes & tracks from late 1999 onwards.

His production & remix work over the last 3 years has been pretty rubbish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres only 1 good song, what do you want from me and its Marks worst ever vocal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind it. A fair few duffers on there, but they'll definitely be able to get about three singles off it. It's very Robbie heavy though.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's brilliant, and nobody will convince me any different.
  • Options
    supersezzasupersezza Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    i just think at least they are trying to do something ahem 'progressive' better than going down the westlife twaddle route...

eigtht letters, flowerbed, kidz, SOS and happy now r tunes i think.

but yeah the robbie mark friendship is definitely dominant on it.....
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it. It's a heck of a lot better than the 2 records as a 4-piece. Bollocks like Up All Night, Hello (ugh), Shine etc. and too many ballads have been replaced with brilliantly produced GOOD music. Yes, Happy Now is very cheesy, but it's got so much more to it than past efforts.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was really odd at first, wasn't impressed at all. But I really like it now. There's a few songs towards the end of the album that I find a bit nothing-y, but there's some great songs too: SOS, The Flood, Happy Now, Kidz, Pretty Things, Eight Letters, etc.

There's nowhere near enough Gary for my liking, but then I love Gary Barlow as a singer, including his solo stuff, and I'm not a huge fan of Mark's voice generally.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    There's nowhere near enough Gary for my liking, but then I love Gary Barlow as a singer, including his solo stuff, and I'm not a huge fan of Mark's voice generally.

I have to admit, considering that it was Gary who went into the studio with the original 10 or so melodies as backing tracks (OK - so he didn't do the lyrics) ... I would have thought he'd sing on it more.

I still like the album though ... and for me ... one of the weakest songs is the one and only one that Gary sings on. Oh ... and The Flood ... which is a bit of a damp squib.
  • Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wife is playing it on Napster.

Is this some kind of joke? :confused: Who ON EARTH produced this rubbish? :eek: Cheap sounding pianos and synths. Is it Robbie's follow up to Rudebox?

I thought The Flood was OK despite a fairly weak and cliched chorus and assumed there'd be better on the album. Can't believe how wrong I was. I now see why they performed the SAME song on X Factor on Saturday and why the album has been on special offer everywhere. Absolutely terrible, and nobody will convince me any different.

So glad to see someone who has actually listened to that album and truly seen it for the piece of ROT it is

Beautiful World and The Circus on the other hand were masterpieces as was FOUR PIECE Take That
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it really that bad? I've just bought it for my Mum for Christmas, she asked for it, as she really likes The Flood.

I'd read somewhere that The Flood really isn't representative of the album but couldn't bring myself to tell her that, as she really wanted it for Xmas :eek:.

I can't really stand TT myself so I won't be listening to it, so I'll just have to hope she likes it :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad to see someone who has actually listened to that album and truly seen it for the piece of ROT it is

Beautiful World and The Circus on the other hand were masterpieces as was FOUR PIECE Take That

Sorry to break this to you, but I have actually listened to the album and it is in fact brilliant, so you are clearly wrong.

I somehow knew you'd bring it back to the line-up again. You couldn't try and make it any more clear that you just hate anything associated with ROBBIE WILLIAMS, could you?
  • Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Sorry to break this to you, but I have actually listened to the album and it is in fact brilliant, so you are clearly wrong.

I somehow knew you'd bring it back to the line-up again. You couldn't try and make it any more clear that you just hate anything associated with ROBBIE WILLIAMS, could you?

The thing is I actually love alot of Robbies (earlier) solo material, its just him as a person and his being in Take That I dislike.

Think what you will, you will anyway :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rachelgata wrote: »
    I'd read somewhere that The Flood really isn't representative of the album but couldn't bring myself to tell her that, as she really wanted it for Xmas :eek:.

I've not bought the album yet ... but I am going to buy it when I get time. I have listened to is ... and whilst I did like Beautiful World and The Circus ... I actually prefer Progress. It has more of a raw, harsh feel to it ... with some very, very 'active' numbers. It is a complete change from both previous albums ... I would just say it is 'different' ... rather than 'better'.

I didn't want Rob to rejoin them but together ... he and Barlow have come up with a pretty good album (what a 'shame' they didn't make up earlier).

Incidentally ... The Flood, for me, is one of the worst songs on it (the lyrics are just too pretentious). Kidz, Pretty Things, Flowerbed, Wait and SOS are really good.

PS. And Rachel ... if you thought you detest Take That ... then take a listen ... because it really is like nothing else that they've done.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's brilliant, and nobody will convince me any different.

This. I've never been a Take That fan before, but Progress is an amazing album.
    Is it Robbie's follow up to Rudebox?

For the record, Rudebox was actually Robbie's best album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is I actually love alot of Robbies solo material, its just him as a person and his being in Take That I dislike.

Think what you will, you will anyway :yawn:

Oh, so you admit the reason you keep bashing Take That's new album is just because you dislike Robbie being with them?

I know the sound of the album is different to what they've always stuck to, but they were already going to change their sound, whether Robbie rejoined them or not. It's not as if they reunited then they thought they'd just make a radically different album just because of that.

And I do agree with others that there is way too much Robbie on the album, but it's the music that matters, and for me, Progress is a triumph. Just don't expect me to say nothing when you suggest people who like the album haven't actually listened to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And I do agree with others that there is way too much Robbie on the album, but it's the music that matters, and for me, Progress is a triumph. Just don't expect me to say nothing when you suggest people who like the album haven't actually listened to it.

Gary said himself that he would have been bored going in doing an album just the four of them again.

On there being too much Robbie ... maybe so ... but by that I don't think there should be much more Gary (apart from the one song he sings lead on ... the songs just do not suit his voice on lead.) Personally - I'd liked Jay to have had more than just the the one song ... the beautiful Flowerbed. Jay has a really lovely, melodic voice. Are the other four trying to oust him by persistently giving him hidden tracks? He has a more honest and less phoney voice than either Rob or Gary. I would say that there is TOO much Mark vocal on the album ... but some of the songs just cry out for his voice.

On the whole ... I think Gary has been very gracious in seemingly taking a back seat on the album (vocal wise I mean) despite the fact that it was he who laid down the foundations for all songs.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit, considering that it was Gary who went into the studio with the original 10 or so melodies as backing tracks (OK - so he didn't do the lyrics) ... I would have thought he'd sing on it more.

I wondered if it was maybe about them being more 'equal' now, but I don't know if there's anything in that. I think when they came back in 2005 they started writing 'Take That' as songwriters rather than individual names, because it was meaning Gary got more credit (and money, I guess) than the others, so I wondered if because he did a lot of the songwriting on this album (I'd guess the other albums too, but I'm not sure who wrote each song on the last few albums) that he gave the songs more to other people?

But I don't know. I do agree though, that a lot of the songs on this album are more suited to Mark's voice or Robbie's (or probably Howard and Jason), Gary has more of a 'ballad voice', although he can do uptempo as well obviously! And I do love his voice so much, I think he has one of my favourite male voices of all time.

There are some very good songs on the new album though, it's just a bit odd at first if it's not what you're expecting, especially after listening to The Flood. It can take a while to get into it I think, it's very different, but it's also very catchy (SOS is always stuck in my head atm!)
  • Options
    supersezzasupersezza Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Like a bullet to the head, head, head !!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Progress converted me into a fan of Take That, it is their BEST WORK!!!! by a long shot, it has a fantastic progressive sound, fantastic production and song writing and in many ways feels like a modern masterpiece in appearence and in sound.

Beautiful World and The Circus sounded to samey and safe for my liking! The Flood really grabs you and the rest of the album has proper hands in the air moments and real edginess to it!

Just love the album a lot! :)
  • Options
    Already In UseAlready In Use Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Love Robbie,love Take That and I'm not hugely keen on them being back together. I hated Progress on the first couple of listens,it seemed all Robbie and Mark,but now I absolutely love it. It's different to anything they have done before and the more I listen,the more it grows on me.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a brilliant album, probably the best I've ever heard. Robbie makes the album for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many people who label it 'the follow up to Rudebox' actually listened to that album. Other than the crime-against-music single of Rudebox itself the rest of the album was rather good, The 80s/90s standing out, along with Lovelight and the shoulda-been-classic Shes Madonna.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Kidz is one of the best tracks I've heard in a long while.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think "Progress" is a good album.

Some people are just so against Robbie (for whatever reasons) that they can't admit when he does something good.

I'm getting soooooo bored of the whole "TT is better without Robbie" bullsh!t.

I think the vultures that are after Robbie's blood need new prey - he's proved them all wrong. Again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this album as a surprise Christmas present today! Kidz already sounds amazing!