Options

The Killing - BBC4 Saturday evenings

Comments

• Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if it's been noted already (I've been out all day!), but I think there could be a rush on this competition in the RT!!!!

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/competitions/win-a-digital-camera-and-the-killing-dvd/

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Dunno if it's been noted already (I've been out all day!), but I think there could be a rush on this competition in the RT!!!!

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/competitions/win-a-digital-camera-and-the-killing-dvd/

K

Cheers for that KT. Filled in the form. Be nice if one of us on here hit the jackpot.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »

K

Tak KT:D:D:D

Just entered it:) Sod the digital camera, I don't mind if I'm one of the four runners up who just wins the dvd:D
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/mar/31/the-killing-danish-sarah-lund - From today's Guardian. Includes nice little interview with Sofie Gråbøl and Lars Mikkelsen. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I should say: there is a small spoiler re. series 2 in the above article. It's not my idea of bothersome but if you really don't want to know anything about it then beware - or I guess try to skim over that paragraph.
  • Options
    Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/mar/31/the-killing-danish-sarah-lund - From today's Guardian. Includes nice little interview with Sofie Gråbøl and Lars Mikkelsen. :)

Cheers LP. What a sad and at the same time sweet story in the last paragraph.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That little spoiler reveals a lot of what some of us had been wondering, very Jimmy McNulty-esque though
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely not at prime time though?

They have shown the occasional black and white film and some with sub-titles but usually after the "core viewers" have gone to bed.

I seem to recall that Heimat was shown at round about 10 at night
    But I should say: there is a small spoiler re. series 2 in the above article. It's not my idea of bothersome but if you really don't want to know anything about it then beware - or I guess try to skim over that paragraph.

Not too bothersome a spoiler :)

The article said that the show got about 500,000 viewers each week. How well does that compare to the average for BBC4
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    would think 500 000 is outstanding for BBC Four?

Has anyone forked out 280 euros for a Lund jumper yet :D
    Scarily, that's a fairly normal sort of price for Scandinavian clothing, judging from last time I was in Oslo..
    I am quite glad there's a few months' break until the next series as it was quite emotionally draining. Sofie Grabol comes across in today's Guardian interview as v nice so good luck to her. She was brilliant
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just read the interview lp, thanks:)

The writer of TK, Soren Sveistrup, is right when he says in European culture everything will become Americanised if we're not careful, but I think it's already happened in Britain, sadly.

Reading this report brings a tear to my eye:cry: I love this series and told everyone enthusiastically about it, but nobody understood my obsession:(

It says this got more viewers on BBC4 than the Swedish Wallander did. And I thought that couldn't be beaten! But once you've seen the first episode you're so hooked you have to see it through to the end as every episode follows on. I guess with Wallander some people may have seen some but not others as it wasn't the same story every week.

That last bit is really sad about the woman with cancer:(:( It's amazing to think this series pulled the heartstrings of everyone who saw it. I know I'm not the only one who became obsessed, I'm having trouble going cold turkey:( I hope Spiral can help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having trouble going cold turkey:( I hope Spiral can help!

Hardly anyone I know understood my obsession either. :rolleyes: I'm also having trouble with the cold turkey thing; the only reason I found that article was 'cause I keep reading the comments on the Guardian blog for the last episodes! :D
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    imho it was a lot better written, directed and produced than the Swedish Wallander. I much preferred the books to the films, although Ralf Lassgard (sp) really 'is' Wallander. I read somewhere that Henning Mankell thinks so.
    I can't watch the Branagh version, it's just so english-trying-to-be-swedish for my liking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hardly anyone I know understood my obsession either. :rolleyes: I'm also having trouble with the cold turkey thing; the only reason I found that article was 'cause I keep reading the comments on the Guardian blog for the last episodes! :D

We just can't let go, can we??!:D I went on to the official TK site, bt obviously it's all in Danish:( So I had to content myself with looking at the pics! It's got flashes of what looks like series 2 on the home page and that music gives me the shivers:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    imho it was a lot better written, directed and produced than the Swedish Wallander. I much preferred the books to the films, although Ralf Lassgard (sp) really 'is' Wallander. I read somewhere that Henning Mankell thinks so.
    I can't watch the Branagh version, it's just so english-trying-to-be-swedish for my liking.

ihm, I love Swedish Wallander and TK. I think having seen Rolf Lassgard as Wallander, for me he has the edge over Krister Henrikkson. I definitely prefer both Swedish versions over ours though.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sadly, nothing will ever come close to that first series of TK!
    Everything seems to pale by comparison... Spiral is wonderful but it's not as original or different as TK.
    It's great that we've all had each other to 'talk' to over this!
    I think, though, that we'll all enjoy posting on that thread when the time comes.:)
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the links for series 2?
    I watched the first episode, but then they disappeared.
  • Options
    ChapelambleChapelamble Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Killing has probably got me thinking about a series more than any other. However, being a thriller it must lose some tension when you watch it again knowing the outcome.

For all its brilliance The Killing does not quite break into my top 3 series, namely:

1. I Claudius
    2. Pride and Prejudice
    3. Das Boot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Killing has probably got me thinking about a series more than any other. However, being a thriller it must lose some tension when you watch it again knowing the outcome.

For all its brilliance The Killing does not quite break into my top 3 series, namely:

1. I Claudius
    2. Pride and Prejudice
    3. Das Boot

I think it's more the incredible acting by the whole cast. They play their characters just perfectly, you could feel every emotion with them. It didn't seem like acting, it seemed more real than any drama I've seen. That's one of the things that's stuck in my mind. BTW good call on Das Boot:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe so but I'm looking forward to seeing it again because due to its ambiguity I think we'll be able to interpret various scenes differently on re-viewings i.e. with the benefit of hindsight. I also want to look for clues etc that I missed the first time. For me, TK is so much more than a whodunnit - that's just one aspect. As ilovewallander says, the acting is superlative and the power of that won't fade.

I agree with you re. P&P by the way; I would definitely put TK in my top three though but would have to think about the third.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe so but I'm looking forward to seeing it again because due to its ambiguity I think we'll be able to interpret various scenes differently on re-viewings i.e. with the benefit of hindsight. I also want to look for clues etc that I missed the first time. For me, TK is so much more than a whodunnit - that's just one aspect. As ilovewallander says, the acting is superlative and the power of that won't fade.

I agree with you re. P&P by the way; I would definitely put TK in my top three though but would have to think about the third.

It's funny how we all have different opinions because P&P isn't something I like, so i wouldn't put that in my top 3. If you go for period drama I'd recommend Clarissa, this is on the dark side and it made an impression on me, rather like TK has. But I like 'dark' dramas and the acting in this was superb. I've never seen I Claudius so I can't comment on that. TK and Clarissa are in my top three, not sure what the third would be
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    My internet was down for a week while I was moving house and I've just got back online today so I can finally comment on the The Killing since its finale.

Like others Im a bit disappointed the killer was Vagn for various reasons, not least as I was kinda hoping the culprit was someone at the city hall. It would've been more exciting somehow.
    Also, Im struggling to understand a few things. Vagn told Theis he was only going to try and talk Nanna out of running away with Amir. He then rapes and murders her just because she refused to change her mind?!

Also, I suppose we can assume he also killed that woman from 20 years ago? If so, why is it he couldn't bring himself to kill Nanna in any other way than by drowning yet could beat this other girl to death? Could he have killed many others? Oh, how I hate loose ends!
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    We just can't let go, can we??!:D I went on to the official TK site, bt obviously it's all in Danish:( So I had to content myself with looking at the pics! It's got flashes of what looks like series 2 on the home page and that music gives me the shivers:eek:

Didn't know that there was a TK site :eek: Just off to check it out now. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    Didn't know that there was a TK site :eek: Just off to check it out now. :D

I typed The Killing and clicked on wikipedia and the link is at the bottom of the page:) It says 'official Danish website (in Danish only)' I think it's actually the Danmark Radio site, the makers of TK.

Just looked again and it's got ringtones!
  • Options
    ChapelambleChapelamble Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how we all have different opinions because P&P isn't something I like, so i wouldn't put that in my top 3. If you go for period drama I'd recommend Clarissa, this is on the dark side and it made an impression on me, rather like TK has. But I like 'dark' dramas and the acting in this was superb. I've never seen I Claudius so I can't comment on that. TK and Clarissa are in my top three, not sure what the third would be

I claudius was first shown in the mid 70's. It is quite superb.
  • Options
    TOFFEEMAN1878TOFFEEMAN1878 Posts: 75
    Forum Member

If you click on Download you can download a ring tone!
This discussion has been closed.