[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watched the most recent DW episode on the iPlayer, a little late watching it this week.

Anyway, i've had a quick browse of the forum and can't see any mention of George Orwell and "1984". I seemed to notice a lot of references to the book in this episode, from the obvious "Room 101" (You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world).

Then the end of the song... "Here comes a candle to light you to bed...".

The writing of the "diary" at the start, talking about "Praise him", seems quite a similar theme to the religious nature of "Big Brother". Then, when you go into your room (Room 101) you are "converted" to the monster/alien (Big Brother).

Maybe it is just me, but I kept seeing the references :p

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely. They were constantly being watched too. Lots of cuts to the cameras.
  • billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely. They were constantly being watched too. Lots of cuts to the cameras.

I did think it might have been quite a good joke to have had a room 101 and for the door to have been opened to reveal a load of rats, but I guess the writer should not overindulge!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting thought. I wonder if the fact that (putting it in spoilers in case anyone hasn't read the book!) the other thing that Room 101 signifies is
    the giving up of somebody you thought you loved/would do anything for, in order to save yourself
    is significant?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an interesting thought. I wonder if the fact that (putting it in spoilers in case anyone hasn't read the book!) the other thing that Room 101 signifies is
    the giving up of somebody you thought you loved/would do anything for, in order to save yourself
    is significant?

Also a very good point, didn't think about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animal farm?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good points, I'm surprised I didn't spot that. At least TGC was a LOT better than the previous episode with a "Big Brother" reference...