• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    You've redecorated...don't like it.

Ah, yes. Thank you.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trade_star wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Patrick Troughton line was?

Yes. I do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    No, it wasn't about love it was all to do with, as the Dr explained, the animal need to survive and pass on ones genes...he realised he was talking a bit technical so simply said 'Yes, love.'

Hope I wasn't a bit too technical there...love is simply a mechanism for humans to pass on genes and survive into the future.

Isan't sex the mechanisim that humans have to pass on genes that was a bad attempt at tryign to uncheese the ending and it didn't work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pat line was You've redocorated .. I don't like it
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The perfume Amy advertised was called "petrichor" - apparently a word she used in The Doctor's Wife, according to the BBC site - which means "the scent of rain on dry earth." . Doubt it means much except vaguely linking the dry plains of Utah to the waters of the lake, or the water metaphor in River's name, but still interesting :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta ;)

Well considering Amy has a bit of a habbit of... let me put it this way: Try to hurt those Amy cares about and she will end you. No, really. Sonny boy in Vampires of Venice tries to kill Rory, she cooks him with a mirror. She thinks astronaut girl kills the Doctor, she shoots her. Weird and seemingly leathal siren wants Rory, she steps between them without a moments thought (though, granted, not having telekinesis kinda hurt her chances on that one). The Doctor takes off after Melody leaving her behind, she's quite willing to threaten River with a gun. Rory accidentaly leaves her for 30+ years and she saves him, repeatedly, by slicing and dicing a (small) army of handbots.

For that matter check out her cell on Demon's Run! The window has a huge vertical drop into the middle of the very big and open hanger, the cell itself is two level and the guards are ALWAYS on the upper one and all they give her that could be considered a weapon is a toothbrush. That is one very thorough prison they built for her. She more or less demands the Universe give her back her Doctor and it does. Immediately.

I just hope, for Madame K's sake, Amy's not carrying a spoon when she catches up with her :D (Oh god, please tell me people still get that particular Alan Rickman refrence...)

Hi S :)

I liked tonight's episode - the ending though... my God, that ending :eek:

All I'm going to say is God Help Kovarian when Amy gets hold of her... because she will. Mark my words, she will. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    snopaelic wrote: »
    Isan't sex the mechanisim that humans have to pass on genes that was a bad attempt at tryign to uncheese the ending and it didn't work

Love us the mechanism we use to have sex :P

And more to the point, we use love for our children to ensure they survive long enough to look after themselves.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've thought Amy wouldn't have a major role in the series finale after being so crucial to series 5, but I'm starting to change my mind - some kind of confrontation between Madame K, River and Amy is now almost inevitable! I really do hope Madame K's downfall is caused by Amy now :p The interesting thing is where Amy and River's relationship will end up once Amy realises that River did kill the Doctor, and that's why she was in prison...

Nope, sorry, don't get it :o

The disappointing thing is though that River only killed the Doctor because she was brain-washed --- on that basis it could surely have been anybody ---why steal Amy and Rory's baby to brainwash---put in a clunky spacesuit and kill the Doctor --its only going to rile the creator of the universe (Amy) and bad things will happen !!
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope, for Madame K's sake, Amy's not carrying a spoon when she catches up with her :D (Oh god, please tell me people still get that particular Alan Rickman refrence...)

But then there'd be no Christmas special. :(

:D
  • tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Moffat's infatuation with James Cordon is bizzare and misplaced.

The episode was deadly dull apart from the last five minutes.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed that River is the person in the spacesuit (I was hoping for a twist).

We saw River in A spacesuit.

Speculate but don't assume - especially as we now know that the Doctor knew about his "death", knew who was in the spacesuit and it looks very much like he did send the invitations.

Key points - the Silents may have been blanking River's mind but that was a younger River - just qualified - so there's a lot more to explain about how she got from that stage of her life to everything else we've seen in series 5 and 6. Stick that together with the baby photo and a few other bits - like next-weeks oddball time wibbles - and nothing is certain.,

There's also a question-mark (which may be down to a plot hole) in that we were shown several times that seeing ANY Silent allowed the person to recall previous encounters with other Silents - yet River apparently didn't. That still leaves the possibility that "our" River does not come from the end of the younger River's timeline we saw there.

One way or another, the Doctor lives. If nothing else, that means that events will not follow the obvious path.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked The Lodger but this episode wasn't quite as good as that. James Corden was just as good as Craig though and has been said, I prefer him as Craig than James Corden.

I also think Matt Smith's performance was as funny as it was in The Lodger and he was at his best here and I loved the baby talk!

Loved the baby scene where he talked about being among the stars. Also thought the last ten minutes were good(again) and was nice to see Amy and Rory have a small appearance in the episode. Also was great to see Captain Wrack back in the show as well!;) :D

The big disappointment for me was The Cybermen. I think since Series 2 the Cybermen have been given some seriously crappy stories. Didn't like them in The Next Doctor, they were underused in The Pandorica Opens and in this episode we saw so little of them they might as well not have bothered. I did like the new Cybermats though.

So overall not a bad episode. Not the best but not the worst either and it sets things up nicely for the last episode next week. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    The disappointing thing is though that River only killed the Doctor because she was brain-washed --- on that basis it could surely have been anybody ---why steal Amy and Rory's baby to brainwash---put in a clunky spacesuit and kill the Doctor --its only going to rile the creator of the universe (Amy) and bad things will happen !!

Clearly the Silence haven't done their homework then :p

Maybe they thought that by taking Melody and ensuring the Doctor wouldn't find her, or couldn't without messing time up completely, that they would drive Amy away from him, and thus put her out of the picture. But they were bargaining on Amy's trust and faith in the Doctor not being as strong as it is, and possibly not thinking that Mels/River would save the Doctor in 1938, and that because Amy and Rory witnessed that, they realised that they couldn't raise their daughter and that they had to trust the Doctor. The Doctor broke Amy's faith in him, then restored it by saving her and Rory, so the Silence failed in putting her out of the picture.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member

Try working that backwards and it makes sense.

They discover that the Doctor loves/knows River Song - so they go back to her past and set her up to be his killer. Him knowing her comes first - everything else stems from that.

Done that way, her timeline was changed and correcting it will mean returning her to her parents as a baby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If all you wanted was for someone to jump out and fire a gun, sure it could be. But that's not it is it... the Doctor goes to his death pretty much willingly. He sees the astronaut (which, lets face it, ain't the fastest moving thing on the planet) for a good long time before he gets shot and talks to it knowing what's going to happen. For that to work it has to be someone the Doctor knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol I'm really confused and I'm not sure why
  • temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »
    Stephen Moffat's infatuation with James Cordon is bizzare and misplaced.

The episode was deadly dull apart from the last five minutes.

Do you mean Gareth Roberts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on River wasn't returned to her parents as a baby was she?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. She wasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When does she change into the little girl?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, but there's still the unresolved question of whether, if timelines were messed with, she could be, yet still end up as the River who dies in Silence of the Library so that the 10th Doctor can escape and all of this can happen in the first place.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If all you wanted was for someone to jump out and fire a gun, sure it could be. But that's not it is it... the Doctor goes to his death pretty much willingly. He sees the astronaut (which, lets face it, ain't the fastest moving thing on the planet) for a good long time before he gets shot and talks to it knowing what's going to happen. For that to work it has to be someone the Doctor knows.

My point is more that River hasn't got any reason for killing the Docotr--she's forced into it by chemicals and a spacesuit --so saying she killed him, whilst literally true, is a a huge misrepresentation of the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When does she change into the little girl?

She doesn't. The little girl changed into River.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi S :)

I liked tonight's episode - the ending though... my God, that ending :eek:

All I'm going to say is God Help Kovarian when Amy gets hold of her... because she will. Mark my words, she will. :mad:

Hi Miss :D

Heh, I'd like to think that they kidnapped Amy, got her in the birthing tube thingy and then did some research on who it was that they'd snatched. My head cannon has the results as something similar to the Vashda Nerada looking up the Doctor only with a heck of a lot more swearing and several months re-designing her living quarters into something a bit more secure.

Which was a shame because they really should have spent that time looking up who the father was! Honestly, about the only way they could have got themselves any more trouble would be by doing the same trick with Ace and at least the seventh Doctor would have made it a fairly quick death!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But she can#t be returted as a baby or none of the events that are happening now will happen?