Options

Do Atheists and Agnostics celebrate Christmas ?

Comments

• Options
    Nick KerrsNick Kerrs Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    A club? LOL :D

It's not exclusive you know. You're welcome to join in too. :)

Also, 99.99%? Yeah right. :p

Yes, you really do believe in a big god up in the sky....:rolleyes:

lol
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Look atheists get it into your heads for the last time; if you do celebrate Christmas you are rampant hypocrites and no better than a running sore in the flesh of society; if you don't celebrate christmas then you are a load of miserable kill joys just trying to inflict your empty lives on right thinking people, so shape up.

Now you're getting it. :D

I celebrate Christmas because my wife would make my next year a living hell if I deprived her of her two Christmas trees, sparkly lights and all the trimmings that go with them.

Enlightened self interest is as good as reason as any.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if we are being honest religion has a very small part to play in Christmas. Its about as big a part as say The Wizard of Oz film.
  • Options
    JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Kerrs wrote: »
    Yes, you really do believe in a big god up in the sky....:rolleyes:

lol

i do :)
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Kerrs wrote: »
    if we are being honest religion has a very small part to play in Christmas. Its about as big a part as say The Wizard of Oz film.

In your household, perhaps. :)

Ive never seen the Wizard Of Oz before either. So there. :p
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I do, it is not a religious thing for me but a day of seeing family, getting presents and having a nice meal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    i do :)

Sorry, I do not believe you. :)
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just see it as a time for me to spend with family and friends which cheers up these pretty drab Winter months.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your household, perhaps. :)

Ive never seen the Wizard Of Oz before either. So there. :p

Seriously? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Seriously? :eek:

Seriously. :)

ETA: I've never got to watch It's A Wonderful Life yet, either. Must rectify that some day. :cry:
  • Options
    cookie_princesscookie_princess Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter, is more the question!!
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing hypocritical about celebrating Xmas if you are not a practising Christian. Yule celebrations around 22 December were old pagan tradition in this country. The christians hijacked the winter soltice festival and tacked their religion on to it as a way of enforcing Christianity on the masses. Same with Easter and the Spring Equinox.

There is nothing wrong with gathering your family together mid winter, having a good meal being nice to each other and giving out some presents.
  • Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a Spiritualist and dont believe in God or the Bible, but love Christmas as a chance for a family get together. You can change the name of it if it makes the god botherers feel better but its a good family time for me
  • Options
    MuttsnuttsMuttsnutts Posts: 3,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider it an ideal time to get the family together as they all universally off work.

Considering I don't put up anything with a direct religious connection I don't think it too hypocritical. We humans tend to recycle events to our own wants, this is no different.

There's always the Jehova's Witness at work who partakes in the staff Christmas dinner & the outing. She too can tell herself it's not a Christmas dinner to her, just a turkey dinner, and it isn't a Christmas do, it's a get together. She's still joining in the Christmas celebrations really though.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll celebrate Christmas, Diwali, Eid and whatever if I think theres a present in it for me.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Seriously. :)

ETA: I've never got to watch It's A Wonderful Life yet, either. Must rectify that some day. :cry:

Synopsis;
    Man thinks he has led meaningless life, Angel (definitely not a Fairy :p:D) shows him meaning of life, THE END (some Christmas stuff in between)
    :D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is very difficult for atheists and agnostics to avoid it completely as it is everywhere, but it does not stop them enjoying themselves if they treat it as a non-religious event as I do. There is little left religious about Christrmas anyway in the materialistic world of the must-haves and greed. I often wonder what percentage of people in this country who say they are Christian hand on heart, actually believe the nativity story and this virgin birth.

There are many who obviously use the carol service just as an event and a colourful get-together like November 5th, rather than attend church on a regular basis the rest of the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    I'll celebrate Christmas, Diwali, Eid and whatever if I think theres a present in it for me.

You agnostics are the worst having some many options; Is there nothing your materialism will not sink to?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Synopsis;
    Man thinks he has led meaningless life, Angel (definitely not a Fairy :p:D) shows him meaning of life, THE END (some Christmas stuff in between)
    :D

Put like that it sounds quite dull, but it's a box of tissues film for me !
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one expects only Satanists to participate in Halloween. I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    There is nothing hypocritical about celebrating Xmas if you are not a practising Christian. Yule celebrations around 22 December were old pagan tradition in this country. The christians hijacked the winter soltice festival and tacked their religion on to it as a way of enforcing Christianity on the masses. Same with Easter and the Spring Equinox.

There is nothing wrong with gathering your family together mid winter, having a good meal being nice to each other and giving out some presents.

Took till page 2 for this to be repeated. Impressive for DS standards. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Put like that it sounds quite dull, but it's a box of tissues film for me !

Your just a big softy, I bet slyfox thinks its a documentary. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    It is very difficult for atheists and agnostics to avoid it completely as it is everywhere, but it does not stop them enjoying themselves if they treat it as a non-religious event as I do. There is little left religious about Christrmas anyway in the materialistic world of the must-haves and greed. I often wonder what percentage of people in this country who say they are Christian hand on heart, actually believe the nativity story and this virgin birth.

There are many who obviously use the carol service just as an event and a colourful get-together like November 5th, rather than attend church on a regular basis the rest of the year.

This is true. More than 2 million people attend Christmas services in the CofE alone. :) Not sure about other denominations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Look atheists get it into your heads for the last time; if you do celebrate Christmas you are rampant hypocrites and no better than a running sore in the flesh of society; if you don't celebrate christmas then you are a load of miserable kill joys just trying to inflict your empty lives on right thinking people, so shape up.

Get over yourself you arse. Us atheists can enjoy the festive holiday without deigning to give it any Christian aspect. As some have pointed out already, many non-Christian religions celebrate this time of year too. Remember that Christmas was invented and the date was taken to replicate a pagan festival already honoured.
    More lions, less Christians.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not going to look at your spoilersport, Richard. ;)