Options

Birdsong ( BBC 1 22/01/12 )

Comments

• Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I thought it was superb, Beautifully shot, the trench locations were stunning visually. Great performances all round. Im not sure any drama could capture the horror of living in the trenches as well as this has done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything proves how television has blunted the ability to recognise great acting, the reaction to Birdsong has. I've waded through comments, on here and elsewhere, criticising Eddie Redmayne's superbly nuanced and subtle performance with increasing astonishment. While I appreciate these things are subjective, I simply cannot understand how Redmayne's magnificent performance - seemingly impassive on the surface, surging passion behind the eyes - is being trashed by some. But I've come to the sad conclusion that far too many people on DS now equate "great acting" with some fat slapper screaming her head off in Albert Square, or her male equivalent narrowing his eyes as he attempts to play drunk.

As for Birdsong itself, it was impressively done and all that. Not many laughs, mind.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DB5 wrote: »
    If anything proves how television has blunted the ability to recognise great acting, the reaction to Birdsong has. I've waded through comments, on here and elsewhere, criticising Eddie Redmayne's superbly nuanced and subtle performance with increasing astonishment. While I appreciate these things are subjective, I simply cannot understand how Redmayne's magnificent performance - seemingly impassive on the surface, surging passion behind the eyes - is being trashed by some. But I've come to the sad conclusion that far too many people on DS now equate "great acting" with some fat slapper screaming her head off in Albert Square, or her male equivalent narrowing his eyes as he attempts to play drunk.

As for Birdsong itself, it was impressively done and all that. Not many laughs, mind.

What a patronising know it all post . I didnt like Eddie Redmaynes performance and will repeat that now .I thought he was one dimensional and boring .His stares were the exact same be he terrified or in love . My ability is not blunted TY , I have an opinion that doesnt match yours .

Would you consider someone who enjoys a piece of art or an opera less than you do blunted ? Art is always open to opinion including acting .Please respect opinions other than your own
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a disappointing post. Debate on this subject has been virgorous but stimulating and polite. Now we get the television police telling us we are all stupid because we don't like what you like.

I hate having to justify myself but let me add this. I do not watch reality television or soaps. I do work in an Arts Centre and spend every available bit of cash on theatre, ballet and symphony. So, I think I would qualify as reasonably cultured. Not that that matters. What is important is to respect others points of view. I am genuinely glad that so many people have enjoyed Birdsong because it will encourage our public service broadcaster to do more such drama. I was thrilled when I heard they were doing Birdsong and am genuinely disappointed that in my opinion it was poorly executed. I am particularly critical of Eddie Redmayne whom I have admired on stage but do not feel did this part justice. I think his performance was self-indulgent and lazy but that is my opinion.

Please, respect it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a patronising know it all post . I didnt like Eddie Redmaynes performance and will repeat that now .I thought he was one dimensional and boring .His stares were the exact same be he terrified or in love . I am not blunted TY , I have an opinion that doesnt match yours .

And as I wrote - if you care to read my post properly - I acknowledged these things are subjective. As is my opinion, which is indeed different from yours. No need to get hysterically defensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as I wrote - if you care to read my post properly - I acknowledged these things are subjective. As is my opinion, which is indeed different from yours. No need to get hysterically defensive.

What you wrote is

"If anything proves how television has blunted the ability to recognise great acting, the reaction to Birdsong has"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a disappointing post. Debate on this subject has been virgorous but stimulating and polite. Now we get the television police telling us we are all stupid because we don't like what you like.

I hate having to justify myself but let me add this. I do not watch reality television or soaps. I do work in an Arts Centre and spend every available bit of cash on theatre, ballet and symphony. So, I think I would qualify as reasonably cultured. Not that that matters. What is important is to respect others points of view. I am genuinely glad that so many people have enjoyed Birdsong because it will encourage our public service broadcaster to do more such drama. I was thrilled when I heard they were doing Birdsong and am genuinely disappointed that in my opinion it was poorly executed. I am particularly critical of Eddie Redmayne whom I have admired on stage but do not feel did this part justice. I think his performance was self-indulgent and lazy but that is my opinion.

Please, respect it.

I refer you to my reply to the post before yours. Yes, it's subjective. But some of the posts on here about the performance in question border on the personal. Merely redressing the balance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you wrote is

"If anything proves how television has blunted the ability to recognise great acting, the reaction to Birdsong has"

Agreed. Couldn't be clearer. If we don't think ER was fab, we are all idiots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you wrote is

Followed by "I appreciate these things are subjective".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A series of tableau, beautifully shot forming an empty shell with no drama at its heart. Badly scripted, badly directed and badly acted. Goodbye Eddie Redmayne. Shall certainly not be looking out for you until you have learned how to speak - oh, and act.

Read the Daily Mail article about mumbling actors as the first half is all about Birdsong. One review called this a Gucci advert set in WW1 as the leads didn't seem to have a hair out of place even when shot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please highlight which part of my post suggested anyone was "an idiot" for not liking the performance. Go on, please highlight those very words now and I will withdraw them.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please highlight which part of my post suggested anyone was "an idiot" for not liking the performance. Go on, please highlight those very words now and I will withdraw them.

How about this part:
    But I've come to the sad conclusion that far too many people on DS now equate "great acting" with some fat slapper screaming her head off in Albert Square, or her male equivalent narrowing his eyes as he attempts to play drunk.

Incredibly patronising.

I do not watch soaps of any description. I did not find Mr Redmayne carried off the impassive exterior covering inner intensity well. In most cases his facial expressions appeared interchangeably emotionless (although as others have mentioned, the second part was better than the first). I simply did not see the 'intensity behind the eyes' that you describe. That does not mean that I only watch OTT soaps all day - and I'm sorry but your inference is that people who did not appreciate this performance are somehow intellectually inferior and lack true discernment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I quote your post
    """But I've come to the sad conclusion that far too many people on DS now equate "great acting" with some fat slapper screaming her head off in Albert Square, or her male equivalent narrowing his eyes as he attempts to play drunk."""""

Its screams out a patronising " I know better than you plebs ." You can cover it up by repeatedly saying you mentioned subjectivity but it doesnt stop me from thinking you were patronising in the extreme .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I refer you to my reply to the post before yours. Yes, it's subjective. But some of the posts on here about the performance in question border on the personal. Merely redressing the balance.

I think you are confusing the use of the word personal. I have not made any personal comments about Eddie R, only deplored his acting ability. As an actor in a public domain, he would surely expect that.

You are making sweeping personal judgements about the people who use this site who do not expect that. There is a difference.

Two cliches spring to mind. Leave the field with grace and 'when in hole.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »
    Read the Daily Mail article about mumbling actors as the first half is all about Birdsong. One review called this a Gucci advert set in WW1 as the leads didn't seem to have a hair out of place even when shot

Just had a look. Don't usually have much respect for the Mail but they've got this one right. My poor husband came to the conclusion he was getting deaf as he couldn't understand much of it at all. I did eventually tell him that he wasn't the only one! I suppose the BBC think not being able to hear what little dialogue there was is somehow arty. Sad, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quote your post
    """But I've come to the sad conclusion that far too many people on DS now equate "great acting" with some fat slapper screaming her head off in Albert Square, or her male equivalent narrowing his eyes as he attempts to play drunk."""""

Its screams out a patronising " I know better than you plebs ." You can cover it up by repeatedly saying you mentioned subjectivity but it doesnt stop me from thinking you were patronising in the extreme .

As I said, real Emperor's new clothes stuff! If you can't get the acting it must be because you lack the discernment to detect it - not that the actor simply didn't do it!
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,569
    Forum Member
    I think we have to accept that many people liked 'Birdsong' and many did not. I baically enjoyed it (although, like another poster, I looked up Wikipedia with regard to the book). It was full of long staring-into-space scenes but the WW1 scenes were very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    """A parodist could have fun with Birdsong (BBC1, Sunday). French and Saunders, perhaps. I can see Jennifer in the Eddie Redmayne role, Stephen Wraysford, mud-spattered and deeply troubled in a tin helmet, wide lips slighty parted, staring. Urrgh, all that staring, it did get a little wearing, didn't it?"""
    Quoted from the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/jan/29/birdsong-earthflight-tv-review?newsfeed=true

Very similar reviews in one of the Irish papers today too ( sorry I just cant find it now )

If I were to single anyone out I thought Joseph Mawle as Firbrace was excellent and played his part wonderfully .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just laughed out loud at myself !! I spent a few hours wondering what ER had to do with it ,............just coped on its Eddie Redmayne and not ER of George Clooney et al fame !!:D
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    I suppose the BBC think not being able to hear what little dialogue there was is somehow arty. Sad, really.
    When it comes to poor audio I am always in the front line if I think there is a problem (eg The Killing US remake). Dialogue during Birdsong was as clear as a bell throughout to my ears on my equipment.
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    When it comes to poor audio I am always in the front line if I think there is a problem (eg The Killing US remake). Dialogue during Birdsong was as clear as a bell throughout to my ears on my equipment.

That criticism confuses me too because if there is mumbling to be not heard I am usually the person who will need subtitles. Maybe it was the pitch?
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the second part last night.

Found it very emotional actually. Really enjoyed the mini series - fantastic performances all round - good solid TV :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just laughed out loud at myself !! I spent a few hours wondering what ER had to do with it ,............just coped on its Eddie Redmayne and not ER of George Clooney et al fame !!:D

Sorreee! Realised after I'd written it.
  • Options
    socialdancersocialdancer Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    When I read the book, I never thought Isabelle had any deep feeling for Stephen. She was bored, sexually frustrated and broody so her relationship with Stephen killed all three birds with one stone for a while until she got bored again and left.

Others felt it was a true love story but it always seemed one sided to me.

Yes yes yes - thank you for saying that! It was exactly how I felt about their relationship in the book, she was much more capricious than she was portrayed on the tv. Very poor adaption in my opinion, and also the two main characters were badly cast, although I didn't like Stephen in the book and didn't like him in the programme either, so may be the casting was right :rolleyes: The actor playing Firebrace was excellent, and was the only person I cared about over the whole two episodes. Sorry, BBC - I bet you spent lots of money on this, but IMO you wasted most of it. There is no point in skimming a very thin story off the top of a complicated, nuanced novel and selling it as if it was the real thing.
  • Options
    stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i thought it was fab from start to finish. the acting from the 2 main leads and the men in the trenches had me enthralled at all times. It was most certainly a juxtapose of 2 unimaginable situations for all and portrayed as such by all. This was truely a story of love and war, and the devastatings effects it had on the lives of all who had to live through it. well done BBC.