Sponsoring a child overseas via a charity

GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of doing this, and would be interested if others have done so and what experiences / advice you have. Obviously I'd check out the charity first (don't want to get involved with a religious one) but it seems a good idea and it would be less impersonal than just donating in general.

Comments

• 1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good way to make a difference,however small. And,in reality, you will be helping a whole family,not just the child.

Good on you.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check if you need to write to the child in a regular basis. I think the donator will know the child's name and something about him / her. Correct me if not.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.cry.org.uk/Get-Involved/sponsor-a-child

I sponsor a young girl in Albania through this charity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sponser a child from Nebbi in Africa, through Action Aid. I get regular updates on the village, letters from his mentor and pictures that he's done in the post. I pay £15 a month. It's lovely but I always have this feeling of guilt for not writing to him as much as I probably should. :o
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you actually write to a child, or do you just pay say a fiver a month (enough to sponsor a child whatever that maybe) to a charity who pool the momey together and get then quarterly updates from the charity?
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The charity I'm considering the most strongly (Plan UK) say they send you the details of a particular child, and the community s/he lives in, and then it's up to you whether to get in touch in any sort of detailed way. And they will update you with how money given contributes to their work in that area.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaditano wrote: »
    The charity I'm considering the most strongly (Plan UK) say they send you the details of a particular child, and the community s/he lives in, and then it's up to you whether to get in touch in any sort of detailed way. And they will update you with how money given contributes to their work in that area.

That sounds interesting :)
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sponsored via Plan for a number of years.
    Your last post above sums up exactly how it works. It is up to you how little contact you have (via mail). Recommended.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    We've sponsored a little girl in Kenya for 5 years via Plan - she was 2 when we started.

I get an annual photo of her and her family and a short letter from her mum. Lucy used to send me a picture she'd drawn along with it but we get letters from her now she can write. We send a Christmas card and an email every year in response to the photo/letter.

Last year's update from Plan said Lucy had contracted malaria but had been treated quickly because Plan supporters had paid for a clinic in a nearby village. It felt amazing to be part of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    I support a child through the Plan as well. I get regular updates but do feel guilty that I don't write enough.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Our nursery took on a wee lad in Malawi a few years back as our enterprise. It was lovely, the children really got interested because he was the same age as them but their lives were so different. They would choose stickers and draw pictures and held fundraisers to sponsor him. When they moved on to P1 we donated a lump sum they'd collected over the year and had enough to build a well in his village. The school continued the sponsorship so they're all growing up together. :)
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We sponsor a little girl through World Vision. I wish I had done it years ago when my children were growing up.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    We sponsor a little girl through World Vision. I wish I had done it years ago when my children were growing up.

Me too. My OH's family were originally from India and we have 2 sons, so we chose a little girl from India. She was 6 when we first started sponsoring her and she's 9 now. We get pictures and updates.

I occassionally write, like at Christmas, but like others feel guilty for not writing more.:o
  • PAISLEY47PAISLEY47 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I have an interest in Tibet and sponsored a child from the Dickey Orphanage, I got pictures of the little girl and some of her story.

http://dickeyorphanage.org/