An Album A Day - 2012

Comments

• kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woah, 1,000 posts for this thread! I suspect the lack of posts recently (other than your own) is because of the albums not being so well-known. Still though, keep up the good work pal :)
  • bordersboybordersboy Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Woah, 1,000 posts for this thread! I suspect the lack of posts recently (other than your own) is because of the albums not being so well-known. Still though, keep up the good work pal :)

Think so too - plus with the jubilee being on people have better things to do haha
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this thread every evening :) i really enjoy it! I just don't know the music you've been reviewing but I have actually listened to a few albums based on your reviews! Though not Drake or Nicki Minaj's lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved your review on FTP's 'Torches' - one of my current favourite albums!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album: Technique by New Order
    Released:30th January 1989
    My Album Score: 6.9/10

My Thoughts: Evening! Today's album is by British alternative rock dance band New Order. Released in 1989, their fifthe studio album "Technique" reached the top of the UK album chart. The album takes on more of a dance beat as opposed to some of their earlier work which was more focussed on bass & drums and guitars. There are a number of good tracks on the album including "Fine Time", "Round and Round" and "Run", all songs that I enjoyed almost from the moment they begun. My major problem with the album was that a lot of the songs seemed to blend into each other and not really have their own identity. Perhaps after a few listens I would be able to hear that each song is a work of art on its own but after just one listen through this is what I sadly came away from the album feeling. They are an undoubtedly talented group but on a challenge like this the album didn't quite show it's full worth. Overall, a good album that on one listen isn't quite good enough to become a classic.

Favourite Track - Fine Time
    Worst Track - Vanishing Point

My 2 Or 12 word review: Same Order

Tomorrow's album: Benjamin Francis Leftwich - Last Smoke Before The Snowstorm

Have you listened to this album? Agree with my review? Favourite song? Do let me know guys!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I read this thread every evening :) i really enjoy it! I just don't know the music you've been reviewing but I have actually listened to a few albums based on your reviews! Though not Drake or Nicki Minaj's lol!

I read this thread every night before I go to bed. I am just to lazy to comment. Keep the reviews coming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album: Last Smoke Before The Snowstorm by Benjamin Francis Leftwich
    Released:4th July 2011
    My Album Score: 4.4/10

My Thoughts: Evening! Today's album is by singer/songwriter Benjamin Francis Leftwich. His debut album was released last summer and reached the top 40 in the UK album chart, placing at number 35. His style is quite similar to that of Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes; two acts who's albums I have listened to and enjoyed so far on this challenge. Sadly Benjamin cannot quite make it a hat-trick. He has created an album which I can possibly best describe as boring. Now I am sure that is not the adjective he was wanting a new listener to describe his first album by but I have to be honest. Most of the songs on this album are very tiresome and his vocals would put even the loudest, screaming baby to sleep in an instant (that analogy is not meant as a compliment to his lovely voice...more that the child in question would be yawning so much after listening to, lets say "1904" that he/she would feel much happier with eyes closed and landing in the land of nod). God, I'm actually yawning just writing this review! Right...wake up and finish this review!! Overall, this is an album that is perfect for listening to just before you get into bed...by the time you have the covers over your body you will be fast asleep!

Favourite Track - Shine
    Worst Track - 1904

My 2 Or 12 word review: Sweet dreams!

Tomorrow's album: Saxon - Crusader

Have you listened to this album? Agree with my review? Did you keep your eyes open when listening to it? Do let me know guys!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Benjamin Francis Leftwichis a very talented musician, has created a nice album and definitely worthy of more than 4.4 - worse than the Wanted, really? Disappointed, but it's your opinion...
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Benjamin Francis Leftwichis a very talented musician, has created a nice album and definitely worthy of more than 4.4 - worse than the Wanted, really? Disappointed, but it's your opinion...

I agree entirely, been some rather odd scores/reviews recently, perhaps bordersboy is experiencing a mid challenge crisis.....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album: Crusader by Saxon
    Released:16th April 1984
    My Album Score: 7.2/10

My Thoughts: Evening! Today's album is the heavy metal band Saxon. The album, "Crusader" has sold over 2 million copies and was the band's 6th studio album when released back in 1984. The band's style is similar to that of Iron Maiden and even AC/DC but sadly falls short of reaching some of great work that those bands have put out. Their are a number of good tracks on the album though, from "A Little Bit of What You Fancy" to "Just Let Me Rock" but for me this album is defined by the outstanding "Bad Boys (Like to Rock 'n' Roll" - a song full of attitude and mischievousness and a killer hook and lead guitar riff. However, there are some flatter songs too which is why this album ends up as a slighty higher than average one as opposed to a great heavy metal outing. "Sailing To America", Do It All For You" and "Run For Your Lives" are some examples of the flatter efforts on the album. Overall, a very decent album that is worth a listen if you like this type of music but not one that I would consider to be a masterpiece.

Favourite Track - Bad Boys (Like to Rock 'n' Roll)
    Worst Track - Sailing To America

My 2 Or 12 word review: An album that is more pretty weighted rather than truly heavy metal

Tomorrow's album: The Answer - Revival

Have you listened to this album? Agree with my review? Which track did you enjoy most? Do let me know guys!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album: Revival by The Answer
    Released:3rd October 2011
    My Album Score: 7.5/10

My Thoughts: Evening! Today's album is by a rock band that go by the name of The Answer. Their third studio album was released in 2011 and managed to get some decent reviews by rock music critics. Their style is a throw back to the 70s and 80s rock scene in the USA and could be compared to bands like Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith. I would call myself a fan of the big rock bands of yesteryear and that may be why I responded so positively to this specific album. Their is a good mix between guitars, drums and vocals which for me the key to a successful rock band - you can't have one if all three are not tight with each other. Best songs on the album are I Want You*and opener*Waste Your Tears, both which I think would sound awesome as live tracks. Overall, a very good outing and a band I look forward to hearing more of.

Favourite Track - Waste Your Tears
    Worst Track - Tornado

My 2 Or 12 word review - Right Answer!

Tomorrow's album: FrankMusik - Complete Me

Have you listened to this album? Agree with my review? Which track did you enjoy most? Do let me know guys!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the album by Frankmusik is ok - good tracks like Better off as Two but the album for me doesn't seem to flow that well. 5/10
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I can't believe you think Vanishing Point is the worst track on Technique, that's one of my fav's but horses for courses and that. My fav from that album is Mr Disco.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This thread is good for a laugh if nothing else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album: Complete Me by Frankmusik
    Released:11th Spetember 2009
    My Album Score: 6.5/10

My Thoughts: Evening! Today's album is by London's Vincent Frank, who goes by the music name of Frankmusik. His debut album was released in 2009 and reached the top 20 in the UK albums chart, peaking at 13th position. His style is a throwback to the 80s electro-pop scene and is an album that I would put in the marmite section - you either love it or hate it. Now I would say that after one listen I am actually not fully in either category but would lean more towards the love choice than the hate. If you are a fan of recent success' La Roux or Little Boots then there is a good chance you might like what Frank has on offer on this album - even though a lot of it does sound like the same song played in a slightly different fashion. For me the best songs on the album are “Gotta Boyfriend?” “Three Little Words” and “Down Down”. The lowlight of the album is by far "When You're Around" which shamelessly takes the Stranglers' "Golden Brown" and makes an abomination of it! Overall, as decent dance-pop album that I can see myself going back to and liking but too samey for me to score too highly on a first listen.

Favourite Track - Three Little Words
    Worst Track - Golden Brown

My 2 Or 12 word review - Frankly Decent

Tomorrow's album: Cerys Matthews - Cockahoop

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album: Cockahoop by Cerys Matthews
    Released:19th May 2003
    My Album Score: 6.8/10

My Thoughts: Evening! Today's album is by Wales' very own Cerys Matthews. Her debut solo album, "Cockahoop" was released in 2003 and reached a top spot of number 30 in the UK charts. The album is a quirky one that mixes original and traditional folk songs and is quite a successful combination. It is a very jolly album, as the title might suggest, and is one that you could imagine listening to on a road trip on a bright Sunday morning. Although it lacks something in the songwriting department, Cerys' voice makes the album as good as it gets. She sounds great on "Caught in the Middle", "Weightless Again" and "Ocean" but the lyrics on a few of the other tracks are a bit too simple and safe. Overall, a decent attempt at making an album that is far removed from her Catatonia days and one that fits in with the Nashville sound that she was trying to create. A little more work on the songwriting and this could have been a very good opening solo album for Cerys - perhaps why it only got number 30 in the charts and no higher!

Favourite Track - Weightless Again
    Worst Track - Only A Fool

My 2 Or 12 word review - It's Alright!

Tomorrow's album: Beulah - When your Heartstrings Break

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When You're Around is amazing, how dare you! 3 Little Words is a good pick, love that song, its so loved up. I much prefer his debut to his second album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Following some unfortunate news I received today, I will not be doing any more reviews in the near future. Have had a good run - thought I'd last to February to be honest! - but sadly will be unable to write any more reviews in the immediate future.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread recently and I have loved the challenge. For now...farewell!
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, pal. Shame that this comes only 2 days away from one of my recommendations :p .. Only joking - You have done so well to get this far into the year with this little project, so well done!
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done bordersboy, 162 albums reviewed, one hell of a good run. I enjoyed reading your reviews every day :)
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that bordersboy, have really enjoyed this thread and been impressed you stuck with it so long. Ended up buying a few albums as a result, which is always good.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that - you got a lot further than anyone would have expected though!
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bordersboy wrote: »
    Following some unfortunate news I received today, I will not be doing any more reviews in the near future. Have had a good run - thought I'd last to February to be honest! - but sadly will be unable to write any more reviews in the immediate future.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread recently and I have loved the challenge. For now...farewell!

Such sad news, I hope things work out okay and I'll miss your reviews bordersboy :(
  • treacletarttreacletart Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    bordersboy wrote: »

Sorry to hear that, take care x