Question for all Alexandra Burke fans...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
There's so many threads about her & her music & I want to know what style or genre of music would you all prefer her to record? It seems she's not having much luck with dance/electronica music, so I'm quite curious to hear what you all think.

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I'm not really a hardcore Alexandra stan, but I imagined if she ever did dance songs, they would've sounded more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXyF4VelzY4 Back when I used to watch her on X Factor, I never imagined she'd do a song like Elephant.

I can understand why she used Bad Boys as her lead single, since they wanted to differentiate her from Leona, but she released 4 dance-pop songs in a row, which I think was too much. Even Rihanna has never released two dance songs in a row, let alone 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I want her to do whatever she feels like doing. Label policies aside, staying true to herself is her best bet :cool:
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's so many threads about her & her music & I want to know what style or genre of music would you all prefer her to record? It seems she's not having much luck with dance/electronica music, so I'm quite curious to hear what you all think.

I think she is one of the best vocalists in the UK. She is consistently on point and while other artist might be good at singing high notes but not good in lower register, or good at high notes but not have a very nice tone, Alex ticks all of the boxes. Regarding her music though, although I'm a massive fan of her, it's her music that's letting her down. Her most recent single 'Let It Go' was absolutely awful. The issue is that there had only been one really big stand out XF winner and that was Leona. Then we had Leon who didn't amount to much, and the came Alexandra who like Leona, was a stand out. The problem was though, Simon didn't want two artists the same. Leona went down the ballad route, so he chucked Alexandra down the up tempo route...to the point where she couldn't come back from it...her first 4 singles from her album were all up tempos!! He was so desperate to try and distance her and Leona.

She obviously wasn't very happy with the way things were going music-wise, and she left Simon and Syco. Even though she's not doing great at the moment, I still think that was the right decision as Simon and Syco are no good if you want a long term career. So she changed labels, however by this time she was known for up tempos and her new label RCA are a business at the end of the day and would have seen it as a risk to change her direction...so the up tempo tag that Simon and Syco originally attached to her stuck, but instead of creating good up tempos and doing something different to what's out there, they went down the generic dance route instead. Other artists have done the type of music Alex is doing, but better.

The type of music she should be doing...music that has more soul to it. Music that has a live sounding feel to it. The last time I heard a song that actually showed of her voice was a cover she did on YouTube. None of her material shows off what an incredible voice she has. I've seen her live and wasn't prepared for how incredible she actually sounded. If she sounded that good with the rubbish material she's had, then with the right material God knows how incredible she would sound. She should be performing on shows like Jools Holland, she should have a live band with her everywhere she goes.

As for the future, this might surprise a lot of people, but I don't think she's over yet. She's an extremely determined person and I can't see her giving up. She has a hell of a lot of friends within the music industry, more so it seems in the U.S than the UK. She's signed with a U.S label and her next step will be going over there. Who knows how it will work out. If this was an other artist then I'd be more inclined to think they might flop, but Alexandra is a very smart girl. I think getting out of Syco has probably left her with a lot of baggage. She worked with loads of top writers and producers for album two, but when she left Syco, all of that material mysteriously dissapeared and none of it appeared on the album. I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that she'll crack the U.S. I think she'll go over there and spend a lot of time working with people who will help her find her sound. She writes too, but that wasn't showcased on the first album. I think she's someone who's perfect for the U.S and I think they'll appreciate her personality a lot more over there. Let's be honest, she's hated in the U.K for doing nothing wrong. The UK has a mentality of building people up and then knocking them down. I think the U.S would love her. I'm going to bet that she'll go over there and she'll crack the U.S, and that in about 3 years time, the UK will be kissing her arse.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    I want her to sing an album with songs like
    Adele
    Beyoncé
    A little hot and sexy R&B like Good Night Good Morning was on Overcome
    A few poerballads a la Whitney Houston

Just don't do dance anymore

I think RCA forced her into the dance route, as she was recording r&b songs under Syco
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pop-rock, something like Kelly Clarkson's Stronger would really ring true for her. She has a B-side called Dangerous and the genre suits her voice very well, despite the song itself not being all that strong.

Dangerous.

Rock style power ballads would suit her as well, she did a cover of With or Without You which really suited her.

With or Without You.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I think she is one of the best vocalists in the UK. She is consistently on point and while other artist might be good at singing high notes but not good in lower register, or good at high notes but not have a very nice tone, Alex ticks all of the boxes. Regarding her music though, although I'm a massive fan of her, it's her music that's letting her down. Her most recent single 'Let It Go' was absolutely awful. The issue is that there had only been one really big stand out XF winner and that was Leona. Then we had Leon who didn't amount to much, and the came Alexandra who like Leona, was a stand out. The problem was though, Simon didn't want two artists the same. Leona went down the ballad route, so he chucked Alexandra down the up tempo route...to the point where she couldn't come back from it...her first 4 singles from her album were all up tempos!! He was so desperate to try and distance her and Leona.

She obviously wasn't very happy with the way things were going music-wise, and she left Simon and Syco. Even though she's not doing great at the moment, I still think that was the right decision as Simon and Syco are no good if you want a long term career. So she changed labels, however by this time she was known for up tempos and her new label RCA are a business at the end of the day and would have seen it as a risk to change her direction...so the up tempo tag that Simon and Syco originally attached to her stuck, but instead of creating good up tempos and doing something different to what's out there, they went down the generic dance route instead. Other artists have done the type of music Alex is doing, but better.

The type of music she should be doing...music that has more soul to it. Music that has a live sounding feel to it. The last time I heard a song that actually showed of her voice was a cover she did on YouTube. None of her material shows off what an incredible voice she has. I've seen her live and wasn't prepared for how incredible she actually sounded. If she sounded that good with the rubbish material she's had, then with the right material God knows how incredible she would sound. She should be performing on shows like Jools Holland, she should have a live band with her everywhere she goes.

As for the future, this might surprise a lot of people, but I don't think she's over yet. She's an extremely determined person and I can't see her giving up. She has a hell of a lot of friends within the music industry, more so it seems in the U.S than the UK. She's signed with a U.S label and her next step will be going over there. Who knows how it will work out. If this was an other artist then I'd be more inclined to think they might flop, but Alexandra is a very smart girl. I think getting out of Syco has probably left her with a lot of baggage. She worked with loads of top writers and producers for album two, but when she left Syco, all of that material mysteriously dissapeared and none of it appeared on the album. I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that she'll crack the U.S. I think she'll go over there and spend a lot of time working with people who will help her find her sound. She writes too, but that wasn't showcased on the first album. I think she's someone who's perfect for the U.S and I think they'll appreciate her personality a lot more over there. Let's be honest, she's hated in the U.K for doing nothing wrong. The UK has a mentality of building people up and then knocking them down. I think the U.S would love her. I'm going to bet that she'll go over there and she'll crack the U.S, and that in about 3 years time, the UK will be kissing her arse.

You talk the best sense out of all us stans. This completely. She is awesome live. Not like TV live but in your face live. She needs more power ballads like What Money Can't Buy (which she co-wrote at 18), Saving all my Love for you, Unbreak my heart, and to release the great ones that she does have too (The Silence, Overcome) as 2nd/3rd singles.
    People have forgotten she can sing (in terms of mainstream).

What I want, is the What Money Can't Buy vocal on every song. Very raw, live (ie untampered) and soulful and funky. She needs to work the US and then in early 2013 get working on a follow up, and have it globally out in late 2013. She said she's one who learns from her mistakes (ie Jermaine Defoe, and this dance album). She also needs a great team. On this album, the saddest thing was seeing her choreo not being up to scratch. Bad Boys and Broken Heels were both choreographed by Frank Gatson. She's yet to have a better routine. She's got the talent of the best, she just needs the team of the best (we all know the team make and break someone).

It saddens me to say it, but I always worried about her. She had it all but nothing had happened for her (ie in early 2010). She won't be a long lasting stayer unless she has some european and US hits. That needs to happen fast.

So.
    3rd album - give me SOUL. I want the soul of 21, Back to Black, the funk from 4 and Off The Wall and the power of her voice plus her lyrics. Her 2 co-written tracks show she has writing talent, she just needs to do it more. She should start now. If she writes hardcore and full on from now, by mid 2013 (for a new album) she could have 6 good self penned songs. It takes time but the rewards are great. Like Leona, we have world class expectations for Ms Burke. Her 3rd album is her last chance, as HOH disappointed a lot of people.

She needs to work with JaQuel Knight and Frank again, and have a banging stylist, preferrably the Overcome one (who made her look like a goddess (bar the Start Without You outfit). The current choreographer ought to be ashamed, he is atrocious. And I'm an optimist :o:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »

She needs to work with JaQuel Knight and Frank again, and have a banging stylist, preferrably the Overcome one (who made her look like a goddess (bar the Start Without You outfit). The current choreographer ought to be ashamed, he is atrocious. And I'm an optimist :o:sleep:

I hated Start Without You but thought she looked flawless in the vid, even in the lacy catsuit. I'm not a huge fan but I want her to do well as I really liked her on X Factor (the girl has SOUL) & needs the right music/productions to unleash her talent.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I hated Start Without You but thought she looked flawless in the vid, even in the lacy catsuit. I'm not a huge fan but I want her to do well as I really liked her on X Factor (the girl has SOUL) & needs the right music/productions to unleash her talent.

That's it. The vocal is much better on record this time, it's simply the genre that's wrong. ALMOST there! :D The Overcome makeup look was perfect, so pretty etc. She needs that polished, classy look back, she rocked it so well.
  • kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone else but me remember a video of someone behind the scenes shooting a Start Without You video in America where she's infront of a school bus?
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else but me remember a video of someone behind the scenes shooting a Start Without You video in America where she's infront of a school bus?

There was a whole other video which was scrapped for that ridiculous cheesy one they released instead (even if it was full of eye candy haha) :p