POTPs 60th anniversary chart shows

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
Forum Member
Loving the show so far - apart from cutting off Hey Jude

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    now talked over Sugar Sugar ... great music, but seems timing might be up the creek in the run up to 2pm news ;-((
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    The biggest seller of 1981 was Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" not The Human Leagues "Don't You Want Me".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    based on what information?
  • Options
    Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    The biggest seller of 1952 was Al Martino - Here In My Heart,NOT Vera Lynn ! :rolleyes:

If both double 'A side' songs by Boney M hadn't been played then Tony wouldn't have had to cut 'Hey Jude' short & waffle over some of the songs.

Re 1981 : Up until December 31st 1981,Soft Cells 'Tainted Love' was the biggest seller of that year.Human Leagues 'Don't You Want Me' was in the chart only for December of 1981,but as it was still charting high in the first part of 1982 its cumulative sales eventually overtook 'Tainted Love' by tens of thousands,making it the biggest selling song released in 1981.

It depends whether this POTP list is based on the sales of the songs from just each year in question OR overall sales up until 2012.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not keen on this format - the problem is the best selling singles each year are all tracks that have been hammered to death over the years, and are too familar.

It would be more interesting to play songs that just failed to hit the top 20, eg all the No 21's over the years - it would still throw up some good songs, but many that are seldom heard.

But that's probably just me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    based on what information?

Every countdown of this sort over the last 30 years has "Tainted Love" as the biggest selling single of 1981. (Until today of course! :D )
    It'll be confirmed on any web search.

As someone else has mentioned the criteria could be the biggest selling single released in the relevant year including sales up to 2012.
    I don't think this should be the case. It should just be the biggest seller of each individual year Janaury 1st -December 31st. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The biggest seller of 1952 was Al Martino - Here In My Heart,NOT Vera Lynn ! :rolleyes:

If both double 'A side' songs by Boney M hadn't been played then Tony wouldn't have had to cut 'Hey Jude' short & waffle over some of the songs.

Re 1981 : Up until December 31st 1981,Soft Cells 'Tainted Love' was the biggest seller of that year.Human Leagues 'Don't You Want Me' was in the chart only for December of 1981,but as it was still charting high in the first part of 1982 its cumulative sales eventually overtook 'Tainted Love' by tens of thousands,making it the biggest selling song released in 1981.

It depends whether this POTP list is based on the sales of the songs from just each year in question OR overall sales up until 2012.

He he, I know, Al Martino was 9 weeks at No.1 whilst Vera spent 1 week at No.10!!!

I always thought that Mary Hopkin's "Those Were The Days" was the biggest seller of '68.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Every countdown of this sort over the last 30 years has "Tainted Love" as the biggest selling single of 1981. (Until today of course! :D )

As someone else has mentioned the criteria could be the biggest selling single released in the relevant year including sales up to 2012.
    I don't think this should be the case. It should just be the biggest seller of each individual year Janaury 1st -December 31st. :)

I noticed this error too. Tainted Love is definately the biggest selling single of 1981. Dont You Want Me had its sales split between December 1981 and january 1982. It probably did outsell Tainted love but not before the end of 1981. Sounds like they have included the sales from early 1982 to me.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I noticed this error too. Tainted Love is definately the biggest selling single of 1981. Dont You Want Me had its sales split between December 1981 and january 1982. It probably did outsell Tainted love but not before the end of 1981. Sounds like they have included the sales from early 1982 to me.

Yes, 'Don't You Want Me' comfortably ahead when you count all its sales into '82. Begs the question - if they were counting split year sales what about 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it won't :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles_by_year_(UK))

Looks like part 2 of this show will be rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it won't :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_singles_by_year_(UK))

Looks like part 2 of this show will be rubbish.

:D That page was edited about 2 hours ago. This afternoon it had Martino for 1952 and Soft Cell for '81.

Martino was a 9 week No.1 whereas Vera only spent a week at No.10. Definately an inaccuracy.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "best selling single of every year" list seems to have been compiled for Pick Of the Pops by the Official Charts Company. Whoever edited the wikipedia page has made a note on the Revision History page that the recent revision is based on the OCC list.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-biggest-selling-single-of-every-year-revealed-1952-1985-1699/

But yes, the best seller of 1981 was 'Tainted Love' with sales of just under a million. 'Don't You Want Me' hadn't even topped 900,000 sales by the end of 1981 and was unofficially the third best seller when sales to the end of the year are factored in. In the official end of year chart compiled at the time, with a pre-Christmas cut off point and two weeks of missing sales the single was even lower, at number 21. 'Tainted Love' was again the number 1 in that official list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should be interesting whether POTP will play Cliff Richards 'Mistletoe & Wine' as the best seller of 1988 or 'Especially For You' by Kylie & Jason which was the eventual biggest selling song of that year once the sales for January & February 1989 were added.
    Saying that,the blurb for next Saturdays show states that a Cliff Richard song will be played,Mistletoe & Wine being his biggest selling song from 1986 to 2012..selling way more than his only other 2 festive chart-toppers 'Saviours Day' & 'Millenium Prayer' which made #1 in December 1990 & December 1999.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The "best selling single of every year" list seems to have been compiled for Pick Of the Pops by the Official Charts Company. Whoever edited the wikipedia page has made a note on the Revision History page that the recent revision is based on the OCC list.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-biggest-selling-single-of-every-year-revealed-1952-1985-1699/

But yes, the best seller of 1981 was 'Tainted Love' with sales of just under a million. 'Don't You Want Me' hadn't even topped 900,000 sales by the end of 1981 and was unofficially the third best seller when sales to the end of the year are factored in. In the official end of year chart compiled at the time, with a pre-Christmas cut off point and two weeks of missing sales the single was even lower, at number 21. 'Tainted Love' was again the number 1 in that official list.

Thanks Robbie. I thought I was losing my mind for a while!! :D I was certain that for the last 30 years "Tainted Love" was the biggest seller of '81.

Any ideas on the Vera Lynn placing. Surely there's no way that "Auf Wiedersehn Sweetheart" was the biggest seller of '52 considering it's, almost non-existent, chart run! :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should be interesting whether POTP will play Cliff Richards 'Mistletoe & Wine' as the best seller of 1988 or 'Especially For You' by Kylie & Jason which was the eventual biggest selling song of that year once the sales for January & February 1989 were added.
    Saying that,the blurb for next Saturdays show states that a Cliff Richard song will be played,Mistletoe & Wine being his biggest selling song from 1986 to 2012..selling way more than his only other 2 festive chart-toppers 'Saviours Day' & 'Millenium Prayer' which made #1 in December 1990 & December 1999.

Yep Sam. If they were doing it accurately then Cliff would be the biggest seller of '88. K&J spent the last 4 weeks of '88 at No.2 then the first 3 weeks of '89 at No.1.
    This is only from memory at the time but if I recall correctly "Especially For You" ended up around No.6 and No.23 on the best sellers over both years. But with combined sales would have been No.1.
  • Options
    Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Not keen on this format - the problem is the best selling singles each year are all tracks that have been hammered to death over the years, and are too familar.

It would be more interesting to play songs that just failed to hit the top 20, eg all the No 21's over the years - it would still throw up some good songs, but many that are seldom heard.

But that's probably just me!

No I agree with you.

My Dad sometimes listens to POTP and I'll listen to it if I'm visiting him on a Saturday - today though he gave it a miss as he prefers the usual format.

As you say, 'best selling' singles have usually been played to death over the years anyway. What makes the usual format enjoyable is hearing songs that rarely get played or that you'd forgotten about.

Best selling singles can often be cr*p anyway (Westlife, Boyzone, Brotherhood of Man etc..) and does anyone really want to hear those Wet Wet Wet or Bryan Adams songs yet again?

I think these sort of charts should definitely be done only once or twice a year, if at all, but each to their own.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    No I agree with you.

My Dad sometimes listens to POTP and I'll listen to it if I'm visiting him on a Saturday - today though he gave it a miss as he prefers the usual format.

I have to agree with your Dad, this show should have been done as a separate, stand alone show or maybe spread out during this week over 4 consecutive nights in the 10-11pm slot
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to POTP to hear those lost, forgotten or rarely heard songs, not the overplayed crap that was on yesterday. Come on Eileen? Mull of Kintyre? Yuck!! I fast forwarded a lot of the songs beacuse of that :(

The second part is going to sound really bad with some of the rubbish that sold in the late 90s/2000s so I think I'll give it a miss!!
  • Options
    shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I really wish they could revise the Number Ones format as a special show. Fluff Freeman hosted "30 Years of Number ones" back in 1990. playing every single number one hit over a year span from either UK or US charts. It would be delightful to have them update it and cover even the 50's!
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This weeks show ( and most likley next weeks) were a wasted oppertunity just rehashing the diamond top sellers show broadcast on the jubilee bank holiday monday and that pick of the pops top 20 singles of the 70s and 80s show that was played when TB was admited to hospital with Pneumonia in june.I'll be glad when POTP gets back to it's normal format
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong but i am sure the biggest selling single of 1977 was Dont Give Up On Us by David Soul. Mull Of Kintyre of course sold more, a lot more but I am wondering if they are taking its total sales from late 1977 and early 1978 into account . As is say i stand to be corrected but I have this vague memory of David Soul being the year end chart topper even though it was number one in January 1977 which meant it was the top seller all year long. Mull Of kintyre was released in late November. At some point it was decalred the biggest selling single of all time but I think that happened in January 1978.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

The second part is going to sound really bad with some of the rubbish that sold in the late 90s/2000s so I think I'll give it a miss!!

Agreed !

Robson & Jerome,Band Aid 20,Tony Christie,Eminem & Bob The Builder for starters.
    It's a very hit and miss list coming up this Saturday.
    For me there's only the bestsellers from 1998, 2006 & (my guilty pleasure-easure-easure from 2007) that I regard as original worthy classics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but i am sure the biggest selling single of 1977 was Dont Give Up On Us by David Soul. Mull Of Kintyre of course sold more, a lot more but I am wondering if they are taking its total sales from late 1977 and early 1978 into account . As is say i stand to be corrected but I have this vague memory of David Soul being the year end chart topper even though it was number one in January 1977 which meant it was the top seller all year long. Mull Of kintyre was released in late November. At some point it was decalred the biggest selling single of all time but I think that happened in January 1978.

This source has David Soul as the runner up of '77.

http://www.popreport.co.uk/chart_history/77_main.php
  • Options
    Nutty Big DNutty Big D Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Re Human League, there did seem to inconsistencies as to whether sales the in the following year were counted, so we didn't get Bohemian Rhapsody or Rock Around the Clock (the biggest selling 50s hit I believe, but with sales split between 1955/56, plus a year in the 60s and a year in the 70s). Bright Eyes was also back as the top seller of 79, subsequent sales of Heart of Glass which eventually outsold it being discounted. However, my main queries concern Elvis. I've previously seen that Are You Lonesome Tonight was 1961's top seller, but here it was Wooden Heart. Sources have varied as to 1970's top seller, Fluff's POTP at the time placed In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry ahead of The Wonder of You there, but Elvis got the nod yesterday. (But good that Can't Buy me Love was confirmed as 64's top seller, which sold by the bucketload over a short chart run so that points systems analyses of the charts mean that it gets excluded form the top 20 of that year!)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest seller of 1981 was Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" not The Human Leagues "Don't You Want Me".

For 30 years this has been accepted fact, so why the change now? :confused: