Options

Census Results 2011

Comments

• Options
    smokincheesesmokincheese Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    If I'm being patronising it's because that's what your attitude in this thread prompts. You sound like some angry young muppet just out of sixth form, with no life experience, very low expectations of what you can achieve, and a desire to blame others for your own lack of ambition.

Why don't you do a medical degree if you think you want to? Go on, surprise yourself.

LOL The same can be said for you, if you could only realise such a thing! I think we can all draw our own opinions about posters' attitudes..but it's a good thing you're here to guide us.

I'm a high achieving, well-travelled film-maker with a PhD, but thanks for your valuable advice.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL The same can be said for you, if you could only realise such a thing! I think we can all draw our own opinions about posters' attitudes..but it's a good thing you're here to guide us.

I'm a high achieving, well-travelled film-maker with a PhD, but thanks for your valuable advice.:rolleyes:

Of course you are darling *pats head*.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, all that travel doesn't seem to have opened your eyes much that's for sure. Which is most definitely a shame. You could be so much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immigration, how has it affected you on a personal level?

Knowing that you will jump on anything I say and call it racist, I will give you two examples:

- A friend of mine stabbed by an illegal immigrant.

- Loss of English culture and identity within my city.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing that you will jump on anything I say and call it racist, I will give you two examples:

- A friend of mine stabbed by an illegal immigrant.

- Loss of English culture and identity within my city.

Illegal immigration and immigration are 2 very different things, but I would have thought a man with a Phd would have realised that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, all that travel doesn't seem to have opened your eyes much that's for sure. Which is most definitely a shame. You could be so much better.

Why are your opinions more valid then? Enlighten me, oh great one.
  • Options
    37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Illegal immigration and immigration are 2 very different things, but I would have thought a man with a Phd would have realised that!

Your posts are very patronising and sneering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice try..well not really :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could tell me why immigration is such a good thing to you?
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are your opinions more valid then? Enlighten me, oh great one.
    I can't be bothered. I'm off to bed :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be bothered. I'm off to bed :D

Typical, if you can't offer a reasonable argument...scarper!
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Page Not Found
    :D

Was the link not working for everyone, or was it just smokin' that "couldn't see" that stats?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    :D

Was the link not working for everyone, or was it just smokin' that "couldn't see" that stats?

Your original url linked to a dead page before you edited it, so don't give me that :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my point of view it's had both positive and negative effects. For a start the economy in London, where the statistics seem to indicate most of these immigrants are settling, appears to be the one part of the country apart from oil-rich Aberdeen that is still doing well economically. You think that's a coincidence?

BTW, handily for you the BBC have done a nice slidey-chart to show how our demographics are changing. Look at that growing bulge above the age of 60 from 1971 onwards. Not quite up to your usual standards of surgical research I know, but for left-wing apologists like myself it helps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18854073

And what happens when the extra 3 million (and that figure is thought to be far too low) who have arrived in the last 10 years hit retirement/old age?

(I know that the usual argument is that all immigrants are brighter/faster/harder working and just so much better all round than your average Brit. So are they so wonderful they just drop dead at 65?)

Then what do we do?

Bring in another 6 million to cope?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what happens when the extra 3 million (and that figure is thought to be far too low) who have arrived in the last 10 years hit retirement/old age?

(I know that the usual argument is that all immigrants are brighter/faster/harder working and just so much better all round than your average Brit. So are they so wonderful they just drop dead at 65?)

Then what do we do?

Bring in another 6 million to cope?

Until it reaches the replacement rate of 2.1 where we can be replaced. The White British fertility rate is 1.6, the overall rate is 1.98. So Ireland is very close to being a self-replacing and stable population.

EU FERTILITY RATES
    (NUMBER OF CHILDREN FOR EACH WOMAN)
    Ireland 2.07
    France 2.03
    UK 1.98
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until it reaches the replacement rate of 2.1 where we can be replaced. The White British fertility rate is 1.6, the overall rate is 1.98. So Ireland is very close to being a self-replacing and stable population.

EU FERTILITY RATES
    (NUMBER OF CHILDREN FOR EACH WOMAN)
    Ireland 2.07
    France 2.03
    UK 1.98

Replacement rate for what?

Replacement rate for those who haven't emigrated here?
    Or replacement rate for those plus the extra adults that have been imported?

It's clever the way the figures are manipulated.
    Add millions of people and it can be said that a replacement rate that was running so that a population stayed stable, is suddenly too low.

And anyway, we need the population to fall. Every person concerned with the enviroment will say that population growth is the biggest challenge the world is facing.

So why encourage growth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Replacement rate for what?

Replacement rate for those who haven't emigrated here?
    Or replacement rate for those plus the extra adults that have been imported?

It's clever the way the figures are manipulated.
    Add millions of people and it can be said that a replacement rate that was running so that a population stayed stable, is suddenly too low.

And anyway, we need the population to fall. Every person concerned with the enviroment will say that population growth is the biggest challenge the world is facing.

So why encourage growth?

In population demographics terminology, the replacement fertility rate is which a cohort of women on the average are having only enough children to replace themselves and their partner in the population.(a TFR of 2.1 is considered to be replacement level (more than 2.0 to allow for childhood mortality).

Any level below this causes the population to decline in varying amounts impacting economic growth levels, debt to GDP ratios and retirement ages.

This is simply maths, not dogma or ideology.

As an example, in Russia, in 1991 the population was 148 million. By 2008, in a span of 17 years, the population had declined to 141 million, severely retarding economic growth. The nation was essentially disappearing. However, due to several policies put in place by Putin, the population has started in last year or so to increase again from a very low fertility rate of 1.19 to about 1.6-ish, which is still below replacement rate.

Population mathematical models project that the world population will eventually peak out at about 9-10 billion at which point it will stabilise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget about the nationality aspect, consider the impact this is going to have on the conservation and the environment. We are concreting over England's green and pleasant land for the selfish individuals who procreate to get their British passport and/or benefits. And before anyone says anything, no this is not a right-wing view but also the fear of the left-wing Green Party who, afaik, are the only party to have in their manifesto a limit on the number of children women can give birth.

We place a virtue on human beings, but we are the most destructive force on this planet: Procreating and building to make way for more houses and keeping the building industry alive.

It will all end in tears and thankfully I now live in America far away from the lunatic politicians of Europe who will bring Europe to civil war and the rise of extremist parties just as it did in the 1930's and the rise of Nazism. When people are drowning, they're prepared to cling to the sharks.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Immigration, how has it affected you on a personal level?

I was reading an article about an enormous Bluefin Tuna caught in British waters recently. They're relatively unusual visitors these days.

Underneath all the eulogies to the noble beastie in the comments section someone had written, "Bloody immigrants. Coming here taking our mackerel". :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyJK wrote: »
    Forget about the nationality aspect, consider the impact this is going to have on the conservation and the environment. We are concreting over England's green and pleasant land for the selfish individuals who procreate to get their British passport and/or benefits. And before anyone says anything, no this is not a right-wing view but also the fear of the left-wing Green Party who, afaik, are the only party to have in their manifesto a limit on the number of children women can give birth.

We place a virtue on human beings, but we are the most destructive force on this planet: Procreating and building to make way for more houses and keeping the building industry alive.

It will all end in tears and thankfully I now live in America far away from the lunatic politicians of Europe who will bring Europe to civil war and the rise of extremist parties just as it did in the 1930's and the rise of Nazism. When people are drowning, they're prepared to cling to the sharks.

Erm.

The USA has more immigration than the whole of the EU combined. The USA's population growth rate is 1% compared to 0.2% in the EU.

If Europe had the same immigration levels as the United States, this multiplier effect would have lifted economic growth to 2 .5 % instead of 1.7% that we have in Europe.

As a matter of fact, The United States far exceeds any other western nation in population growth, much of it due to immigration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12052314
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice try..well not really :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could tell me why immigration is such a good thing to you?

I never said it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    37 Years wrote: »
    Your posts are very patronising and sneering.

If you look at the post above this one, you'll see smokincheese' are in the same vain.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    None. I just want more of it. What is wrong with more culture? It's not finite.

I've just spent a lovely evening with 3 other white Brits and 6 Indians (who have come to the UK in the last 18 months). I didn't feel we were missing any culture at the table. Indeed, I learned a lot and enjoyed it.
    But, of course, they're probably illiberal religious nuts (even though they're not)....

That all seems a bit Victorian sideshow. What can we learn from the natives etc.

You sound a bit like those people who go off travelling to underdeveloped countries to 'mix with the locals" and "immerse themselves in the culture".

Do you think the people who live there enjoy having wealthy Westerners come over to have a nosey at their difficult way of life before buggering off home again to a nice cushty job, somewhere to live etc? Or do you think they'd rather get rid of quite a lot of their "culture" and have a decent standard of living instead?

As I said before I don't get this whole cultural diversity thing because all the immigrants I know do exactly the same things as I do. I'm going out with Lorraine tonight - we'll drink one too many margaritas and put the world to rights.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »

In London.

I know it's the daily mail, but do try not to be so disingenuous.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly me. I forgot that eastern Europe and the Third World are renowned for their human rights record and enlightened attitudes towards women and homosexuals.

Unlike England's established Church.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    None. I just want more of it. What is wrong with more culture? It's not finite.

I've just spent a lovely evening with 3 other white Brits and 6 Indians (who have come to the UK in the last 18 months). I didn't feel we were missing any culture at the table. Indeed, I learned a lot and enjoyed it.
    But, of course, they're probably illiberal religious nuts (even though they're not)....

I agree with you 100%, I think people are just scared of what they don't know (and a bit insular and anal, lol)

I lived in Alum Rock in Birmingham for close to a decade, I loved the different cultures and spent time talking to them. I learnt about Eid and Dawali and lots of other parts of their religions. I will always be grateful to these friendly generous people for sparing the time and being patient enough to explain things to someone ignorant!

When I moved back, it was to find this part of SW Scotland very different. Totally enriched by an infusion of diverse cultures. we have a university campus now and it has changed the dynamics of the area in such a positive way.

We also have a mosque and a buddhist temple. I love talking to people about their cultures and religions and I really feel that they have changed our area for the better. I might be ignorant, but I take the time to find out and ask, the difference is that others who are ignorant, don't they just judge. Usually with very little knowledge or understanding as this thread shows.
    Immigration is very welcome here as we have a falling population and economically rely on it.

We are all the same and we are all immigrants. some have just been here longer than others. Indo Europeans arrived around 4,500 years ago and since then there have been waves of settlers all adding to and enriching our culture.

I think it's a case of you get back what you deserve!