Options

is the hype starting to fade for One Direction?

Comments

• Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus... I actually feel sorry for 1D boys. Some of their fans are truly out of their minds.:eek: And poor Taylor, she doesn't deserve this abuse - or any other girlfriend of theirs for that matter. This is just insane
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    They are amazingly popular
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member

That is just horrible, I am not a fan of Taylor Swift but she does not deserve such a thing and as somebody commented commented on the article, these fans need to get a grip of reality
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    That is just horrible, I am not a fan of Taylor Swift but she does not deserve such a thing and as somebody commented commented on the article, these fans need to get a grip of reality

I'm not a Taylor fan either but I agree. She hasn't done anything to deserve that abuse. Makes me glad I'm not or I don't associate with Directioners. What makes them behave the way they do?
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I'm not a Taylor fan either but I agree. She hasn't done anything to deserve that abuse. Makes me glad I'm not or I don't associate with Directioners. What makes them behave the way they do?

It's just a big delusion to some of them, they seem to think they actually have a shot at dating them but of course this is only a minority like in all fanbases but sadly it's their voices that shout the loudest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say now that I have a perfect example why I think 1D, with all the media coverage and promotion, should sell a lot more than they are selling in the UK.

Olly Murs is a great example:

in the 1st week he sold 126 000 album copies and now he sold another 100 000 copies.

1D sold 83 000 copies less than the first week, while Olly sold only about 20 000 copies less - and that's without a huge exposure 1D had for the album release.

So, you can understand why I don't think the decreased sales in general should be blamed here. It is still possible not to have a big drop in the 2nd week. Of course, it remains to be seen how well will Olly sell in the upcoming weeks, but I won't be surprised if his album outsells 1D's in the Year End Charts.

The fact remains that they are not that huge in the UK. In the US they are, but in UK not really.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    It's just a big delusion to some of them, they seem to think they actually have a shot at dating them but of course this is only a minority like in all fanbases but sadly it's their voices that shout the loudest

They have as much chance of dating them as I have of winning the lotto. I'm sure there are decent Directioners as well but you don't hear about them. I personally don't know any and I'm glad I don't.
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're always going to have big first week sales and massive second week drops due to their very specific fan base. I don't think it has anything to do with hype. They'll still sell out arenas world wide despite these sales figures.

Besides, it's not like the album flopped. One month on and it's still in the top 3. Their debut album is still in the top 40 too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, I never thought or said that their album is flopping. I just gave this example to make a point that it is possible to sell 100K in the United Kingdom on the 2nd week since people keep saying it is not right to expect good sales because sales are low in general.

I mean, even Buble sold more than 1D with the re-release Christmas album from last year.

But ok - we agree to disagree:) We all have our own opinions, nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've gone platinum (1 million sales) with their album in the US and its only been out for three weeks. That means they've had two platinum albums in 2012.
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope that continues with their next 3 albums :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am confused as the last time I read a report on Billboard, they said 1D sold 808 000 copies in the US in the 3 weeks (1st week 54 000, 2nd 176 000 and 3d 92 000).

So I guess they reached it this week, but the Billboard report hasn't been posted yet.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article recently where it showed the boys being complete idiots in New York and even being pulled up by the police which caused a small traffic disturbance then Mr Styles had a diva moment and there was a picture of him looking pissed off. Nice bunch of lads they sound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I read an article recently where it showed the boys being complete idiots in New York and even being pulled up by the police which caused a small traffic disturbance then Mr Styles had a diva moment and there was a picture of him looking pissed off. Nice bunch of lads they sound.

Not to mention that Liam (I think) complained on Twitter how he got injured by the fans. They really shouldn't write all that stuff on Twitter because they either look like idiots or divas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can they make a sure 20 million over all sales after this second album....or more than 20 million?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »
    can they make a sure 20 million over all sales after this second album....or more than 20 million?

I'm not so sure because they didn't have a huge hit from this album yet. I'm pretty sure the album will sell 3 million copies again, I can't see it going a lot higher than that, especially since it probably won't reach 1 million mark in the UK, just like their debut didn't.

So thats about 15-16 million record sales all together.
  • Options
    Kitty-Kat_MEOW.Kitty-Kat_MEOW. Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    coun3spice wrote: »
    live while we're young single did not chart impressively the way it was predicted to be.. based on the pre order charts, youtube hits and twitter trending topic about it.

it hits a career high debut in usa at #3 but dramatically went down to #21 the next week

in uk 1D failed to score their 2nd number 1 after what makes you beautiful as it only went to #3 and after 3 weeks, it's now at #16

based alone to these figures and trend, is it fair to say or to have an opinion that 1D is slowly getting over to the hype that they've got? same with any other boybands in the past years

Yes they will fade. It is little girls who like 1D, their memorabilia is what they all want for xmas! I spent £22 in claires for a 1D pencil case, two crappy plastic bracelets, and rubber wrist bands. Standing at the till, i thought, is it my little girl who is mad for liking them or me that is for buying this crap? But we have to remember we have been there before, and it is the 'in' thing!

Sports direct has the cheapest memorabilia for them, pencil and pen sets, calendars, bags, go in there if you want some 1D stuff for xmas presents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree.. because the first album managed to sell 12 million because of the 8 million copies for what makes you beautiful.. as of this time from the second album, there are no wmyb-liked single that can match the sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Not to mention that Liam (I think) complained on Twitter how he got injured by the fans. They really shouldn't write all that stuff on Twitter because they either look like idiots or divas.

And the the millions of death threats their girlfriends receive from nutcase fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How pathetic, there's a girl on this morning today who's having a sex change to look like Harry Styles. Why on earth would anyone like to look like those idiots?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Just in case anyone's under the impression that this question hasn't been settled yet:

Take Me Home is the fifth-best-selling album of 2012 - in the US, in the UK, and worldwide.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy for them that they are successfull. Everyone knows that music sales have dropped, so they are doing very well.
    The hype will fade, of course. It can't be sustained forever anyway.
    They will need to release a more adult album in the future, evolve a little, to grow with their fanbase or touch a new fanbase. But I don't see the point in dismissing their current success.

I like their music. It's pop and energetic, it's enjoyable. I really like that it's not R'nB or made for clubbing. It makes me want to sing along and dance in my flat. I think that it was the aim...
    They actually seem like lovely guys (apart from the feud with the Wanted, I have a hard time congratulating those who fought, and it's doing both bands no favour IMO), and I think that they get a lot of unwarranted hate.

What I am concerned about is that people (and fans) seem to believe all the gossip they read in the press and on the Internet... and they get quite vicious. It's just gossip reported by some "insider" who will never have to stand behind what he/she said, no one should take it that seriously. That or the media just twist the truth, and everyone who just goes by the title of the article is getting fooled.
    The rabbid fanbase doesn't help their image, but there is little they can do about that, so I don't see how you can hold them responsible for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    I'm happy for them that they are successfull. Everyone knows that music sales have dropped, so they are doing very well.
    The hype will fade, of course. It can't be sustained forever anyway.
    They will need to release a more adult album in the future, evolve a little, to grow with their fanbase or touch a new fanbase. But I don't see the point in dismissing their current success.

I like their music. It's pop and energetic, it's enjoyable. I really like that it's not R'nB or made for clubbing. It makes me want to sing along and dance in my flat. I think that it was the aim...
    They actually seem like lovely guys (apart from the feud with the Wanted, I have a hard time congratulating those who fought, and it's doing both bands no favour IMO), and I think that they get a lot of unwarranted hate.

What I am concerned about is that people (and fans) seem to believe all the gossip they read in the press and on the Internet... and they get quite vicious. It's just gossip reported by some "insider" who will never have to stand behind what he/she said, no one should take it that seriously. That or the media just twist the truth, and everyone who just goes by the title of the article is getting fooled.
    The rabbid fanbase doesn't help their image, but there is little they can do about that, so I don't see how you can hold them responsible for that.

Stopped reading after the second line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure because they didn't have a huge hit from this album yet. I'm pretty sure the album will sell 3 million copies again, I can't see it going a lot higher than that, especially since it probably won't reach 1 million mark in the UK, just like their debut didn't.

So thats about 15-16 million record sales all together.

If say, music sales are at 50% of what they were a decade ago, they have sold the equivalent of 32 million records (circa 2003). One Direction are a bigger global phenomenon than nsync ever were. When music sales were sky high (cheaper records, higher disposable income, plus little access to free songs online) one of the nsync albums sold something like 2 million in the first week in the US. You would have to (at the very very least) double or triple One Directions sales figures to get an accurate measure of their huge success.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think One Direction were OK until they said they're not a stereotypical boyband - http://www.mrpaparazzi.com/post/21054/Were-not-boyband-stereotypes-say-One-Direction-as-they-pose-with-a-litter-of-puppies.aspx - and when I read about the things Zayn had tweeted to Max from The Wanted. Those involved in the feud on both sides are probably all as bad as each other!

When I first heard Live While We're Young, I didn't realise it came from their second album rather than their first. It sounds very much like One Thing and WMYB.

At 21 I'm probably too old to be liking them anyway! :D