Any Fairly New & Decent "Normal" Films To Recommend?

Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
Forum Member
✭✭
I struggle to think better word than "normal" but the last few months when I've sifted through On Demand, watched various films, I've struggled to find any which would fit into my admittedly simplistic definition.

I know there's only three lines to summarise but there seems an assumption with many on knowing the genre or type of the film without it being inferred.

I tend to go for (but really just fancy watching) an ordinary film, ordinary everyday people. Ideally set modern day (though not essential) relatively plausible plot, or based on an actual event. British marginally preferable.

Certainly not Fantasy (Hobbit) Superheros or comic books, ideally not acton either - or at least with car chases, fight scenes and exploding cars to a necessary minimum. Not a Pixar type either, after did once pick out one film which had a terrific sounding description and turned out to be a cartoon!

There's been a few lately where the tag lines have enticed me in, but its turned out to have giant 30 ft zombies, monsters, goblins or required a real suspension of disbelief. It seems through the new release lists that the everyday films seems fewer and far between.

Gran Torino would be exactly the sort of film I'd be after., Shawshank obviously.

Time Travel or similar would be the one exception. Source Code, Butterfly Effect, Frequency, FAQ About Time Travel, Idiocracy, I've seen and all were great.and I definitely do want to see Looper.

But reading through the best film of 2012,thread there's a huge Superhero, Bond, Action theme running though it, but are there any, what you'd call everyday films worth a look?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'W.E' is pretty good for a 'normal' film. as is 'struck by lightening' and 'perks of being a wallflower'. :)

i also liked ted and 21 jump street but they are more comedies.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I struggle to think better word than "normal" but the last few months when I've sifted through On Demand, watched various films, I've struggled to find any which would fit into my admittedly simplistic definition.

I know there's only three lines to summarise but there seems an assumption with many on knowing the genre or type of the film without it being inferred.

I tend to go for (but really just fancy watching) an ordinary film, ordinary everyday people. Ideally set modern day (though not essential) relatively plausible plot, or based on an actual event. British marginally preferable.

Certainly not Fantasy (Hobbit) Superheros or comic books, ideally not acton either - or at least with car chases, fight scenes and exploding cars to a necessary minimum. Not a Pixar type either, after did once pick out one film which had a terrific sounding description and turned out to be a cartoon!

There's been a few lately where the tag lines have enticed me in, but its turned out to have giant 30 ft zombies, monsters, goblins or required a real suspension of disbelief. It seems through the new release lists that the everyday films seems fewer and far between.

Gran Torino would be exactly the sort of film I'd be after., Shawshank obviously.

Time Travel or similar would be the one exception. Source Code, Butterfly Effect, Frequency, FAQ About Time Travel, Idiocracy, I've seen and all were great.and I definitely do want to see Looper.

But reading through the best film of 2012,thread there's a huge Superhero, Bond, Action theme running though it, but are there any, what you'd call everyday films worth a look?
    "Normal" films are boring, most people use films as a form of escapism.
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    there are two films I'd highly recommend .
    Doubt with Meryl Streep, and Notes On A Scandal with Judi Dench. Both really well acted with a strong story. No major action like car chases,but really watchable drama.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    "Normal" films are boring, most people use films as a form of escapism.

I'd hardly call Gran Torino, Shawshank, Castaway or Usual Suspects boring. If I need to "escape", I can to those.

Each to their own, but I'd fancy watching a film or two that I can relate to more, after a few which I haven't been able to.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    there are two films I'd highly recommend .
    Doubt with Meryl Streep, and Notes On A Scandal with Judi Dench. Both really well acted with a strong story. No major action like car chases,but really watchable drama.

Thanks for those, come close to watching Notes on a Scandal before but didn't. Never heard of the other, so will give them a look.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hardly call Gran Torino, Shawshank, Castaway or Usual Suspects boring. If I need to "escape", I can to those.

Each to their own, but I'd fancy watching a film or two that I can relate to more, after a few which I haven't been able to.

Boring.

But each to their own.:D
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    This is on Sky Movies anytime at the moment..I have only heard good things about this film from those who have seen it...

http://skymovies.sky.com/the-best-exotic-marigold-hotel

I did try to watch this early this morning but then the kids got up..so turned it off till I can relax and watch..
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps these might be a place to start:

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    The Ides of March
    50/50
    Carnage
    Last Night
    Another Year

I've skipped a few films because I'm not sure if they fit into the vague description of "normal" ... actually, I'm not sure these do either! But if you like them or want other suggestions I'll happily give some. I've also not put any foreign language films but there are a few I'd recommend if you'd be interested. :)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That type is usually classified as character-driven or slice-of-life films. A character-driven film is basically a character portrait or study of the leading character(s). They are usually the focus of the film, regardless of the plot.

One could argue that all stories are character-driven, but I think it's a matter of degree or focus. Some are more character-driven than the others. I mean, would one see a Steven Seagal action film as a character-driven film? :D

A character-driven film may feature social issues or/and social realism, but not necessary, as the focus is on characters themselves, regardless of the plot. It can set in any genre. Moon, for example, is a character-driven SF film, Unforgiven is a character-driven Western film, and Miller's Crossing and Drive are character-driven crime films. The Shawshank Redemption and The Usual Suspects belong to this category. Seven isn't, though. IMO, it's a plot-driven thriller film. But I digress.

A slice-of-life film is always character-driven and in drama genre, does revolve around social realism and/or social issues, and features a community, a couple or family and friends who may or may not deal with an incident that affects them all. Like The Perfect Storm (a fishing community who're emotionally caught up with a storm that seems to set on taking their loved ones' lives), Rita, Sue and Bob Too (two savvy English schoolgirls become involved with a married man), Beautiful Boy (a couple deals with the aftermath of their son who committed a massacre at school before killing himself), The Last Picture Show (a coming-of-age tale of teens in a run-down and isolated Texan town), Revolutionary Road (a portrait of a suburban marriage during the 1950s), Blue Valentine (chronicles the ups and downs of a relationship) or The Ice Storm (family and friends in the suburbs during the 1970s).

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Terms of Endearment, Brokeback Mountain, Citizen Kane and Giant aren't slice-of-life films, though. All are sagas. A saga usually revolves around a family, friends or community whose story spans decades or generations. The biggest difference between a slice-of-life film and a saga film, imo, is that a slice-of-life film revolves around a single incident while a saga film revolves around a series of incidents and/or an evolution of characters over a period of time.

Older British slice-of-life films like A Taste of Honey, Darling, Billy Liar, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, This Sporting Life and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning are generally labelled as British kitchen sink drama, which heavily focuses on social realism, especially about the British class system. Nowadays British films of this type - like My Name is Joe - are described as 'gritty British social drama films'. :rolleyes: Let's hope someone will come up with a better category name soon.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I hope this will help you to figure out what type of films you like.