Options

Australia open bbc

Comments

• Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would've been crazy not to show it on BBC HD if they were showing it on the website - BBC HD doesn't even broadcast anything in the mornings!
  • Options
    Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Come on Murray! :D
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    It would've been crazy not to show it on BBC HD if they were showing it on the website - BBC HD doesn't even broadcast anything in the mornings!

If Murray hadn't got through to the semis, one semi would still have been on BBC HD, but they'd make a judgement call on which one to pick, which is why it wouldn't have been in the schedules

It would never have been online only
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    If Murray hadn't got through to the semis, one semi would still have been on BBC HD, but they'd make a judgement call on which one to pick, which is why it wouldn't have been in the schedules

It would never have been online only

I know thats what usually happens but it isn't what the BBC's press information said last week! :)

Anyway, only a few hours to go now, come on Murray! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I will be sticking with Eurosport to the remainder of the Australian Open. Awaiting the start of the ladies SFs. Eurosport show them both live. :)

Eurosport's coverage is indeed top rate but I want to watch the semi in HD and don't pay an HD subscription so I'll put up with the commentary because of picture quality.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not convinced Castle/Lloyd are in Australia. Sounds offtube does the commentary.

EDIT: Clearly they are, as both have joined Sue Barker in the studio.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced Castle/Lloyd are in Australia. Sounds offtube does the commentary.

EDIT: Clearly they are, as both have joined Sue Barker in the studio.

The studio is in the UK, isn't it? So commentary, off tube.
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure the BBC were ever likely to send Castle and Lloyd out to Australia to cover three matches. Their decision to show just three matches from this year's competition shows that keeping costs down is high on their list of priorities.
  • Options
    SallyAmySallyAmy Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I thought the coverage was fantastic, the bbc at the best.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    SallyAmy wrote: »

Not if they where commentating of tube. At least Eurosport had the commentators there and that's what I watched.
    Ian.
  • Options
    crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Note, that as Muzza won, they've switched the Mens Final on Sunday Morning from BBC2 to BBC1 (and respective HD Channels).
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I have mixed reservations about the BBC coverage

Positive - John Lloyd. Very good, calm, relaxed, nice voice, been to a Grand Slam Final

Negative - Andrew Castle. Seems to have a high opinion of himself and talks too much. Not a fan
  • Options
    scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    Not if they where commentating of tube. At least Eurosport had the commentators there and that's what I watched.
    Ian.

If the beeb had gone over there we would have had other thread questioning whether it was worth public money to fly to the other side of the world just to broadcast three games of tennis as Li4m says in a previous post.

Nothing wrong with broadcasting off tube and at least we get to see it.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SallyAmy wrote: »

Let them know. They could save a fortune in flights/hotels/expenses if they did all their international commentaries from the UK.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scorer wrote: »
    How do you know that the Eurosport commentators were actually there? You never see them do you.

Game. Set. Mats is presented on-site and Mats Wilander was commentating on the Murray Match.... You do the Maths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    Game. Set. Mats is presented on-site and Mats Wilander was commentating on the Murray Match.... You do the Maths.

Why have you put a quote up by me that is no longer posted?
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I have mixed reservations about the BBC coverage

Positive - John Lloyd. Very good, calm, relaxed, nice voice, been to a Grand Slam Final

Negative - Andrew Castle. Seems to have a high opinion of himself and talks too much. Not a fan

I really enjoy / like Andrew Castle.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scorer wrote: »
    Why have you put a quote up by me that is no longer posted?

Because you deleted it AFTER I quoted it brainbox?
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoy / like Andrew Castle.

I used to but the past few years, since his profile has risen, I have gone off him. I think he has gotten a little big for his boots.

Simon Reed for me is the best of the lead commentators
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    Because you deleted it AFTER I quoted it brainbox?

No need to be insulting.
  • Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »
    Note, that as Muzza won, they've switched the Mens Final on Sunday Morning from BBC2 to BBC1 (and respective HD Channels).

Why do they do this, BBC 2/HD is fine. Is series link effected on Freeview?
  • Options
    Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dzfootball wrote: »
    Why do they do this, BBC 2/HD is fine. Is series link effected on Freeview?

You'd be amazed at the amount of people who will watch this on BBC1 who wouldn't have even known it was on if it were on BBC2. It's ridiculous to think this way in the age of digital TV but there are still a lot of people who look at BBC1 and ITV1 and ignore the other channels unless given loads of notice that something important is on.

This is why stuff like 'Africa' is on 1 and not 2, and I bet they wouldn't have got nearly the same ratings for it on 2 despite it being at the same time and free to view for everyone. There are a few other examples of series that started on 2 that were moved to 1 in order to get more spotlight and higher ratings. .

It doesn't matter to you or I if its on 1 or 2 but believe me there are people out there who still have the mindset that 1 and 3 are the channels to watch and 2 and 4 are for arty farty types.

Plus, having it on BBC1 signifies that this is a national event, a British sporting figure in the Final of something important
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crisso69 wrote: »

Has this been officially announced? Everywhere from the Sky planner to the BBC website is still listing this as on BBC2.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Murray final is only replacing Nick Clegg in a interview on the Andrew Marr Show :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prefer Simon Reed's commentary to Andrew Castle, so its Eurosport for me.