Les Miserables

Comments

• Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Were the other singers all pro stage musical stars? Never seen them before in a movie, apart from Anne,Russell and Hugh.

The ensemble were music theatre pros, predominantly the current London Les Mis cast and Les Mis alumni. And Gavroche and Young Cosette were former and current Les Mis West End cast respectively (Daniel Huttlestone, who played Gavroche in the movie, is currently in Oliver with Samantha Barks)

But of all the principal cast, only Eponine (Samantha Barks) and Enjolras (Aaron Tveit) were music theatre people.

Eddie Redmayne (Marius) has done plenty of plays but never a musical. Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) did the Mamma Mia movie (though that was pre-recorded vocals) and is a trained singer. Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter (the Thenardiers) you're sure to have seen in something, they're both pretty famous... don't think Sacha has ever done a musical, but Helena did the movie version of Sweeney Todd a few years back.
    mimicole wrote: »
    Moviefone - Hugh Jackman & Anne Hathaway
    Press Junket Interview - Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks
    Press Junket interview - Russell Crowe
    David Letterman interview - Amanda Seyfried
    Facebook interview - Hugh Jackman, Eddie Redmayne & Amanda Seyfried

Y'know...if ya get bored or you're just impatient like me....

This one's also good, Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgtNatwyH4
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great Dane wrote: »
    I apologise because I haven't read all the way through the thread, but a friend is trying to persuade me to go and see this with her and I'm really not convinced by it at all. Is it,as the name suggests a totally miserable film? Does anything remotely upbeat happen or is it all wailing and gnashing of teeth? Just wanted a bit more info before parting with my hard earned cash, and to make sure I won't be in danger of slitting my own throat on the way out :o

It's about the impoverished working class in 19th Century France, and revolution, injustice and atonement. People die, as they did in reality.

But of course there are upbeat moments in it, that's as much human nature as the miserable stuff. I'm not going to spoil it, but there's a great deal of happiness in the ending. And of course there's a love story in it, and a mother's love for her child. And some comic relief in the Thenardiers.

I wouldn't judge anything on what other people say though, you're always going to get different opinions and interpretations - one person's miserable is another's profound sometimes.

Go and see it for yourself and judge :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    It's about the impoverished working class in 19th Century France, and revolution, injustice and atonement. People die, as they did in reality.

But of course there are upbeat moments in it, that's as much human nature as the miserable stuff. I'm not going to spoil it, but there's a great deal of happiness in the ending. And of course there's a love story in it, and a mother's love for her child. And some comic relief in the Thenardiers.

I wouldn't judge anything on what other people say though, you're always going to get different opinions and interpretations - one person's miserable is another's profound sometimes.

Go and see it for yourself and judge :)

Thanks for the info, feel more inclined to give it a whirl now :)
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember there being a behind-the-scenes documentary on TV just before the film was released. Anyone got an online link as I never watched it (I didn't think that I'd be seeing or enjoying the film!) :o

Thanks in advance

Oh I watched that when it was on and it annoyed the hell out of me. I was trying to show my brother how good the movies was but every time they opened their mouth they got about 3 words out and then CUT! No one expects the whole film or even a whole song but the clips were so ridiculously short, not even I could get into them.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Sounds boring :yawn: :sleep:

It's beyond boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moviefone - Hugh Jackman & Anne Hathaway
    Press Junket Interview - Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks
    Press Junket interview - Russell Crowe
    David Letterman interview - Amanda Seyfried
    Facebook interview - Hugh Jackman, Eddie Redmayne & Amanda Seyfried

Y'know...if ya get bored or you're just impatient like me....

:o I've d/l over 2 hours worth of stuff from You Tube, there's loads on there, especially relevant are the official channels clips of stuff like hair, costume, makeup etc. Plus press junkets galore.

:) It's my own little addition to the DVD.

Is this the behind the scenes stuff you're on about? It's 17 minutes. of interesting extras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lFp6nZkq0

This clip of Russell and Hugh singing The Soliloquy is one of my favourites if anyone's interested. :) Especially when they're trying to keep a straight face!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYVHOUa3Vo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't find the Eddie Redmayne interview by Michael Ball where Eddie does the "Michael Ball lick" in Red and Black. I thought that was funny.
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much to my surprise, as I really don't like musicals, I really enjoyed this movie.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DVD had better have deleted scenes or even better..be a director's cut!

And an interval title :D

It can be optional, some people can watch it with an interval, theatre style; some can choose to watch it in one hit.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I think Hugh sang Bring Him Home better than Alfie Boe. I find his rendition too harsh and operatic. He hasn't the smooth velvet voice of Colm or the sincerity of Hugh.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »

Is this the behind the scenes stuff you're on about? It's 17 minutes. of interesting extras.

Thank you for the link. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :p Oh gawd, it's started. Just preordered Les Miserables - From Book to Stage & Screen , a new Documentary featuring Sir Cameron Mackintosh; Hugh Jackman; Neil Sean; Tom Hooper; Amanda Seyfried;
    I bet it turns up on one of the Deluxe versions of the DVD. :o A fool and his money are soon parted, but it only cost me £2.50 as I had a £10 gift voucher. Canny or what?

I'm grateful for small mercies! And it's due to be delivered on February 26th
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Here are some photos from the Paris premiere of Les Miserables.

I don't know whether or not it's been posted already. Thought I'd add to our little archive of all things Les Mis!

tally wrote: »
    :o I've d/l over 2 hours worth of stuff from You Tube, there's loads on there, especially relevant are the official channels clips of stuff like hair, costume, makeup etc. Plus press junkets galore.

:) It's my own little addition to the DVD.

This clip of Russell and Hugh singing The Soliloquy is one of my favourites if anyone's interested. :) Especially when they're trying to keep a straight face!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYVHOUa3Vo

Thank you for the link. I don't know what the documentary was called but I'll watch it :)

I love that you've downloaded 2 hours worth of footage. You are the "well adjusted les mis fan" mentioned in the Youtube video review that someone posted a few pages back and I claim my £5 Thank you! ;):D
    Diorelli wrote: »
    I can't find the Eddie Redmayne interview by Michael Ball where Eddie does the "Michael Ball lick" in Red and Black. I thought that was funny.

I wanna see this too!
    Simone17 wrote: »
    Much to my surprise, as I really don't like musicals, I really enjoyed this movie.

I felt exactly the same. :)
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ensemble were music theatre pros, predominantly the current London Les Mis cast and Les Mis alumni. And Gavroche and Young Cosette were former and current Les Mis West End cast respectively (Daniel Huttlestone, who played Gavroche in the movie, is currently in Oliver with Samantha Barks)

But of all the principal cast, only Eponine (Samantha Barks) and Enjolras (Aaron Tveit) were music theatre people.

Eddie Redmayne (Marius) has done plenty of plays but never a musical. Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) did the Mamma Mia movie (though that was pre-recorded vocals) and is a trained singer. Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter (the Thenardiers) you're sure to have seen in something, they're both pretty famous... don't think Sacha has ever done a musical, but Helena did the movie version of Sweeney Todd a few years back.

This one's also good, Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgtNatwyH4

sacha was in sweeney todd too
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Korean Air Force (huh?) parody version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZunEARBb6I
    BRILLIANT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for the link. I don't know what the documentary was called but I'll watch it :)

I love that you've downloaded 2 hours worth of footage. You are the "well adjusted les mis fan" mentioned in the Youtube video review that someone posted a few pages back and I claim my £5 Thank you! ;):D

:D Nah! I never comment on You Tube links. But guilty as charged about rhapsodising. I LOVE this thread. It's bought out all my anal qualities about the show/film.
    I'm a self confessed Les Miz freak/nutter. I'll hold my hand up for that.

Weird, because this is the only thing that I've been obsessed with for nearly 30 years. :p I go and see all the shows I can, enjoy them, maybe return (I always enjoy stuff more the 2nd time around) but that's it.

Nothing comes close to my freakery over this particularly musical. I first saw it on my honeymoon, then through the years lots of personal events are marked by "that was the year we saw ....( insert name)... in Les Miz", right up till my divorce. :D I suppose you can say I can chronicle my life events through it. Sad or what. :o

It's also the only time I saw my ex cry. A truly amazing feat for a control freak. Who knew he had emotions like that?
    Forum Member
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the 'Making of' today on itv1 guys :)

Making Of! That's the documentary that I wanted to see!

I've just gotta find it on ITV now. Thank you! :D
    Forum Member
    There is a Les Mis special on sky arts 2 tomorrow morning at 5:30. Set it up to record! Looking forward to watching it tomorrow afternoon
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Making Of Les Miserables' was good. Samantha Barks gave a little set tour. It was interesting!

I can't wait to get the book that's out later this month. It looks really good! 'From Stage To Screen' I believe it's called.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Making Of Les Miserables' was good. Samantha Barks gave a little set tour. It was interesting!

I can't wait to get the book that's out later this month. It looks really good! 'From Stage To Screen' I believe it's called.

:p I was tempted, but have gone for the DVD instead. Released on the same day but £4 cheaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    It's beyond boring.

I fell asleep. :yawn:
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Korean Air Force (huh?) parody version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZunEARBb6I
    BRILLIANT.

Bloody hell! Jokes aside, they had some very good voices there and great production values.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    I fell asleep. :yawn:

:confused: I get that you might have hated it, but "fell asleep"? Nah, not buying it. Why didn't you walk out?

Even watching the worst film on the planet, I've always found the seats too uncomfortable to fall asleep. I've played games with the number of lights, rows, people in the audience etc because I've been bored rigid, but I normally go and find a pub and chalk it up to my eclectic tastes being far too good for the drivel on the screen. :)
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Les Mis does well at the BAFTAs on Sunday! :D