Work attire- 'smart casual'

mills705mills705 Posts: 556
Forum Member
✭✭
I start my new job tomorrow and whilst I have a few polo shirts to make it through the first few days.
Can you give me a few pointers as to what defines smart casual?
Might need to do a bit of shopping!

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your workplace is probably better placed to advise you rather than us... but perhaps if you could tell us what kind of workplace and job it is, whether you're male or female, that might help.
  • mills705mills705 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Male and it's a call centre!
    They said smart casual attire. Ill see what other people are wearing and base it on that.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    totally depends on the job

but generally workplace smart casual would be decent trousers and nice shirt, just stopping short of a tie. Could be suit and proper shirt, just again without the tie.

probably not just polo shirt.

why not go in a decent shirt and trousers for the first few days and see if anyone else is in polo shirts? It's not the level I'd start at anyway.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably shirt and trousers but no need for a tie, at least that's how my work tends to define smart casual as.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do mention jeans and polo shirts hence my idea of polo shirts.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart casual I would say included smart jeans but not torn dirty or scruffy or hanging half way down your arse!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeans were only allowed in our work on dress-down days. Otherwise polo shirts, but no t-shirts and defo none with fancy writing or pics on them. Chino type trousers were| O|K but not cords or denim.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mills705 wrote: »
    They do mention jeans and polo shirts hence my idea of polo shirts.

right well if they've given you guidance on it just follow what they say!
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smart casual for our office is black shoes, office trousers / smart chinos and either a polo shirt or shirt.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Jeans were only allowed in our work on dress-down days. Otherwise polo shirts, but no t-shirts and defo none with fancy writing or pics on them. Chino type trousers were| O|K but not cords or denim.

In one of my previous workplaces, dress-down Fridays still meant no denim or trainers - but that was "down" from fully suited and booted.
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything but jeans and trainers where I work. Though you could probably get away with some more smarter trainers.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart casual would normally mean trousers, not jeans and a top with a collar (no logos except small ones) and definitely no slogans.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    I would suggest things like chinos, button down shirts with top button open and leisure shoes (but not trainers)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Start the first day with a collar and tie available and then take your cues from the people you work with.

Just be aware that there may be very different interpretations from those looking for advancement in the company and those who resent having to turn up - and choose which camp you want to belong to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get smart looking jeans which I would pass as smart casual. And wear them with shoes rather than trainers :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Smart casual for our office is black shoes, office trousers / smart chinos and either a polo shirt or shirt.

yeap, pretty much this at my place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking back at my interviewers who were team leaders. The woman had leggings and a dress on and the guy had jeans and a shirt with trainers.

I have an idea of what I will wear and go from what I see tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I work in a call centre where new recruits start tomorrow haha!
    Based in kettering by any chance?
    Smart casual in our office for guys is chinos/smart jeans/shirt/polo top.
    You'll know in yourself if you look smart enough!

Funny enough when I worked in a warehouse a guy started his first day in a suit bless him!
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    I start my new job tomorrow and whilst I have a few polo shirts to make it through the first few days.
    Can you give me a few pointers as to what defines smart casual?
    Might need to do a bit of shopping!

A proper work shirt of some sort - long or short sleeved (for the summer). Usually no need for a tie (though keep one in your pocket, just in case, on the first day). They are usually trying to keep T-shirts out.

Trousers - plain black or maybe cords or chinos, maybe even non-blue jeans (if they are in good nick). Again, what they are usually trying to keep out is blue jeans and shorts and baggy cargo pants.

Shoes, most things OK except trainers, flip-flops, and maybe sandals. Those "half-way between proper shoes and trainers" things are probably OK.

They're basically trying to keep out people turning up in "KERRRANGGG" t-shirts, tatty jeans, and years' old trainers.

Wear something along the lines above on your first couple of days. Then see what others are wearing. If a dress code is given, people rarely come dressed *posher* than it - they'll either stick to it, or come in dressed below it.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    In one of my previous workplaces, dress-down Fridays still meant no denim or trainers - but that was "down" from fully suited and booted.
    When I worked in a local authority they introduced dress down Friday after one manager had let his team do so and the fact that it was a huge open plan area office meant that everyone else could see they had been allowed and wanted a go too.

But after a couple of months of jeans, T-Shirts and football tops many managers said it was a bit too casual. When our manager was asked what his idea of dressing down was he replied "You don't have to wear a tie". :p
  • clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Office wear is so much easier for women than it is for men.

Men are smart shoes, smart trousers, shirt - the only option is tie or no tie.

Women wear pretty much what they want - including t-shirts.

Equality?
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Office wear is so much easier for women than it is for men.

Men are smart shoes, smart trousers, shirt - the only option is tie or no tie.

Women wear pretty much what they want - including t-shirts.

Equality?

At least it's easier for men to find work clothes. There are always smart trousers and a wide selection of shirts in shops. I tried to find interview clothes last year in the summertime. It was a nightmare. Much of the clothing was bright and summery and not really suitable for an interview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After today it's pritty much apparant that the smart casual is just a phrase and that it is jeans/ pants but no joggers. Then on top is shirt or polo but smartish thirts are acceptable.
    Essentially don't look scruffy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After today it's pritty much apparant that the smart casual is just a phrase and that it is jeans/ pants but no joggers. Then on top is shirt or polo but smartish thirts are acceptable.
    Essentially don't look scruffy!

How did your first day go?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went well- it was just the health and safety, tour and diversity and equality.
    Gets more serious tomorrow!